Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Wow 5k bonus I try to give my guys $500 at the end of year. You must do well congrats. I try to do little things from month to month for them also, but mostly a extra 20 or something or gift cards etc.
I only do commercial and got really lucky with some huge accounts the economy really helped me in the aspect of business development due to large HOA, CDD's and CAM's . Many of the large developments got rid of there
property maintenance guys and started contracting the work out and I was at the right place at the right time.

Last edited by ArtLikeLandscapes; 08-18-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I pay hourly rate and give a bonus if they work hard each day and all week
They show up on time and give me 100% I buy there lunch each day and at end of week do all that and I don't get any calls to revisit a customer I'll fill there car up on Fridays
Old 08-18-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm still heavily thinking about doing an hourly base pay, plus a small percentage of the job. It will complicate payroll. So I'm not 100% set on it yet. We currently have a " low guy, middle guy, and crew leader". So figuring out how to achieve different pay rates on a commission based pay system is throwing me off.

I see a lot of pros and cons in it. Biggest problem I have seen, Spanish folks are simple, they don't seem to understand complex pay systems well
Old 08-18-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtLikeLandscapes View Post
I think this is why a lot of you guys have problems in this business my guys always get payed for 40 hours regardless. So they have steady income there checks are the same no matter what. I just pay them off production same as the trash companies once you finish the route they go home no matter what time it is for a full days pay. I pay my guys well so I don't have any employee turn over. The profit sharing is at the end of the year once the books are done for the year and my projected profit was exceeded I pay them a bonus. Most of my guys get about5 k on a average year .

I figured out how you are doing this. You're the only employee. I know where you are and I'm not buying it. SKB lost a $1M account last year because they were under bid by 20%. They picked up the account initially by dropping the price 20%. That's the nature of this business these days. Now if you're doing this with high end install work, maybe. But not cutting HOA grass. Also, " when the works done they go home " is a bit vague. Just how many days per week do your "guys" go home early. The big boys are cutting everyone's throat , quality is at an all time low, and the customers don't really care. We are almost totally price driven here in Atlanta and I doubt your area is much different.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds quite suspicious to me as well. 5K bonus?? okay! lol
Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Driver, operator $12.50
Small equipment operator $11.00
Helper $10-10.50
2006 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab 5.3 V8
7x16 Enclosed Trailer
5X12 Open Trailer with front end cage
2007 Exmark 46 inch ZTR
Exmark 36 inch Metro
Exmark Push Mower
Stihl Weed Trimmer (3)
Stihl Stick Edger
Stihl Backpack Blower (3)
Backpack sprayers (5)
Stihl Hedge Trimmers (3)
Stihl pole chainsaw
Old 08-19-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I pay them a fair wage.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wow there are some on here paying close to 42K a year for being on a mower and watching some other monkeys wing around sticks. Damn, that is pretty impressive. I am wondering why more kids are going to college each year because on average a college graduate earns what $29-$30K a year? Who would of known that if the just skipped college altogether they could earn over $40K a year. I mean running a zero turn mower is a skill set that outweighs the skills of most colleg graduates right?

I do not care how good a employee is, there is a point where they reach a level in which they have reached their max and paying them more returns no more profit to you. This holds true outside of lawn care so it is not exclusive to this industry. There is a reason you do not walk into a 7-11 and find a cashier making $20 a hour. Because at some point along the line someone would understand that they can get someone to do all the task they do just as well for $11.00 a hour.

With all that said I do not feel paying employees min. wage is the right thing but I also know there is a realistic rate you can expect to earn/pay for any position and I have a hard time believing anyone who claims to be paying a guy who runs mower and sticks over $40K a year...because if you claim you are paying $20 plus a hour....you are claiming that $20 X2080 hours a year = $41600. Damn that is some high priced lawn care

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
Sounds quite suspicious to me as well. 5K bonus?? okay! lol
That is only a $2.50 a hour bonus or so....so if you are paying $20.00 a hour it is not hard to believe that a person could earn $22.50 a hour for running a mower and driving a truck right?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Somebody call the person who wrote this article and make sure to inform them that lawn jockeys who work for other lawn jockeys earn over 40K a year

http://www.careerbuilder.com/Article...hat-Pay-40000/