Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking For Some Suggestions

Hello everyone.

A little background info first

The fields that we maintain are bermuda (common, Celebration, & T-419 not mixed but on different fields). When I started, our broadcast mix consisted of MSMA, Sencor, Image, and Clean Pasture. We stopped using Image because it was too harsh on the turf. Our Co-op stopped carrying Sencor and they replaced it with Dimetric DF 75%. Then they stopped carrying Clean Pasture and they replaced it with MSM Turf. Our mix now is MSMA, Dimetric DF 75%, and MSM Turf. We spray this twice a year and Round-Up once a year (while the Bermuda is still dormant in late winter).

Now we are about to finish off our MSMA stock. So I am looking for suggested replacements. Something to keep in mind is that we work for a small city (pop. < 5,000), so our budget is small. We have 8 baseball fields, 5 softball fields, 2 football fields, and about 5 acres used for soccer fields(the smallest field is 1 acre) that we take care of. Our biggest problems are sedges, bahaiha, crabgrasses, clovers, and annual bluegrass.

Thanks for all and any input.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you have an email where I can send you some information?
Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Athletic fields are all I do but I know almost nothing about warm season turf - sorry. If there are any general care things you would like to discuss please feel free to contact me.

In terms of irrigation what do you have? Yes or no, not model numbers

There are many good people here and lots of great information. Welcome aboard.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

You really need to add some Pre-Emerge (Prodiamine) to your program. This will really help you with the crabgrass, clover, and poa annua (annual bluegrass) problems. Max yearly rate would cost you about $18 an acre for the pre-emerge.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad004 View Post
Do you have an email where I can send you some information?
I'll send it to you in pm.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Athletic fields are all I do but I know almost nothing about warm season turf - sorry. If there are any general care things you would like to discuss please feel free to contact me.

In terms of irrigation what do you have? Yes or no, not model numbers

There are many good people here and lots of great information. Welcome aboard.
We use Nelson sprinkler heads and valves. We have 5 zones on our 200' baseball fields, 7 zones on our 275' field, 3 zones on our softball fields(skinned infields), and 5 zones on our football fields. There are 2'' lines that feed our system. Our heads have, I think, an 8'' pop-up and we use no. 7 nozzles on them.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
You really need to add some Pre-Emerge (Prodiamine) to your program. This will really help you with the crabgrass, clover, and poa annua (annual bluegrass) problems. Max yearly rate would cost you about $18 an acre for the pre-emerge.
We are only able to buy from places that'll take PO's from the city. As far as I know the local co-op is the only place around us that we can get herbicides in bulk. They have a granular pre but it's too expensive for us to consider buying it.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I would check with BWI - Jackson and see if they would take POs from the city. http://www.bwicompanies.com/ContactUs.aspx#Jackson1
They would have more information about sports turf than the Co-op, and they deliver. Using Agriculture products, such as Dimetric DF 75, on sports fields will get you in trouble. Especially if you put that information on a site like this. You can also buy as little or as much as you need through BWI.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I would check with BWI - Jackson and see if they would take POs from the city. http://www.bwicompanies.com/ContactUs.aspx#Jackson1
They would have more information about sports turf than the Co-op, and they deliver. Using Agriculture products, such as Dimetric DF 75, on sports fields will get you in trouble. Especially if you put that information on a site like this. You can also buy as little or as much as you need through BWI.
Thanks for the info. We'll have to find an alternative to Dimetric DF 75% before we spray again. Won't be the first time to spray with just MSMA.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow I'd thought there would have been more replys than this. Oh well, we'll do what my boss has been doing for the past 20 years and just guess through trials. Thanks for all the replys that I did get.

Tags
alternative , bermuda , fields , msma , suggestions