Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Open Office Spreadsheets

Anyone use open office spreadsheets for work?
Old 08-11-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Open Office Spreadsheets

Yep I use open office calc and keep all my info with me at all times on my iphone using google drive in case I need to add / remove / modify a customers info on the go. I have it set up to automatically figure out price / sales tax / and material used based on just the square footage . All I do is enter the name/ address / sqft. I keep tabs on about 250 customer this way for lawncare / bed weed control / aerations etc. i just keep a different spreadsheet fir each service .best part is both programs are free. A little learning will save you a lot if money while all the stubborn guys pay $2000 a year for software.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow you have you're entire setup based on it then! I'd love to do estimates w sq ft, taxes, price per yd, whatever, on open office, but I have no idea on how to actually set up the spreadsheets. Any advice ( or templates )?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have microsoft office but I use excel spreadsheets for everything I could share, I'm pretty sure open office can open them. If not I can at least give you the calculations that you can plug into a spread sheet. I think I would struggle managing a larger operation this way but with a pretty small operation it's not too difficult or time consuming to keep up with everything.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah open office can open them. That would be great! I really haven't ever set up a spreadsheet, so templates would be better.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What specifically are you looking for and how well do you know your numbers? My estimate spreadsheet takes all of my hourly costs of operation multiplied by the length of time to do the job which provides my estimate for the job. I also have set up different spreadsheets for different job types however I just started my company a month ago so I haven't done enough of each job to have accurate production rates on everything so you will have to know your own production rates.

I also use a spreadsheet for invoicing, I have one which is a master customer list that lists services I have performed for each customer so I can keep track of what I am upselling to who which helps me to adjust my marketing plan based on real life results. I don't know how to post the files but if you PM me your e-mail I will get a few sent over by Wednesday.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeklandscaping View Post
Yeah open office can open them. That would be great! I really haven't ever set up a spreadsheet, so templates would be better.
I can send you an example of how my list is set up and give you the data to put into each equation. Send me your email address and ill send it over sometime this week.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just sent a couple of PMs to those who offered. thanks for all the help!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Someone posted a mowing estimate time spreadsheet on here a few years ago that i use for every estimate i do.

But it lacks in other areas that could help simplify the amount of time it takes for a full service year around proposal.

I would be willing to compensate for such a spreadsheet shared with me as well?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeklandscaping View Post
Anyone use open office spreadsheets for work?

I have been using Microsoft Office Home and Student and have found that since 2013 has released it is umm.. a key code in which I does have 3 user keys to put on my computers. So im just wondering how open office compares to office home and student? What do you like the most about it, user friendly, multiple uses per disc, and most of all price point.

Thanks,
Chuck Norris