Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What size lawn should a 36" walk-behind cut

Say I have a Toro 36" walk-behind with a sulky. What is the max size yard you would cut with it? What's the smallest? Say I don't have a sulky, what size yards then? Is there a point where a lawn would be too big to cut with a mower like this? Just want to kno what everyone thinks on this. This all being said if the mower tops out on speed at 5 mph, and is belt driven.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a toro 36" and use it for a trimmer mower. But have mowed up to a acre. It's very timely if you have a lot of yards to mow.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlong416 View Post
I have a toro 36" and use it for a trimmer mower. But have mowed up to a acre. It's very timely if you have a lot of yards to mow.
Yea I could see that. How long does it take you just to cut an acre?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Well mine is slow as all get out. But it took about an hour I'd say. In 4th gear it's a steady walk. Now it's great for for small yards or hill sides. That's mainly what I use it for
Old 08-12-2013, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Personally, you should always go with the biggest mower possible for the job and appearance. I think a 36" stripe looks absolutely incredible on residential lots of 15,000 feet or smaller. And since yours is a walk-behind, I would definitely stick to smaller lots. It would be different if you were cruising a 36" Stander, where you could truly cut at 5-mph all day. I might go up to a full acre, but again, if I was cutting an acre, I would go with a 60" over a 36".
Old 08-12-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I started and still have my 36" wb. I have cut alot of stuff with that thing. I agree with what Craig said on small residential the stripes look good. But I went up to a 48" Z and I started cutting in different directions with it and it looks pretty bad ass too. I would say you can go as big as you want. Just be more time consuming than a rider or bigger mower
Old 08-12-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like everyone said, there's no limit to what you can cut, but seriously, do your best to only do lawns under 3/4 acre. Yeah, you can cut a 2 acre lawn with a walk behind and sulky, but you're going to burn out your belts, engine, blades and work too many hours for not enough money. You can't efficiently mow larger lawns, so don't bother. Mow postage stamps at 30 bucks a pop and get over a dozen done a day on your own.

Also, if you're ever in the market to upgrade, a lot of people on here swear by standers, but you're better off with a ztr. The controls on standers are so awkward and they don't go nearly fast enough for how much you pay for them. The guy who cuts my apartment complex uses a 48" stander. Paid me to help him one day with my 48" bobcat walkbehind since he was way behind. No sulky, and I finished my half an hour before he did and it looked a lot nicer

Last edited by PenningsLandscaping; 08-12-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In the words of Steven Wright (one of my favorite comics).
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time".
Old 08-12-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do .9 acre in about an hour with my exmark 36". The trimming would be more time, but that would vary with obstacles. I also use it for everything from garden homes to that .9 acre lot.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
I do .9 acre in about an hour with my exmark 36". The trimming would be more time, but that would vary with obstacles. I also use it for everything from garden homes to that .9 acre lot.
How much is that .9? You can do it, but it's just harder to make more money.