Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2013, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

What's With The Scag Velocity Plus Deck?

I want to know what's so different about the Scag Velocity Plus deck that allows it cuts so damn well. I mean, there are a lot of mowers out there that can produce a Great Quality of Cut under the right conditions. But only a couple that can cut tall 8-10" grass and bring it down to at least 4", with no stragglers, clumps or lumps, and distribution of the grass is still looks great, and from my observations that is the Hustler Super Z and the Scag mowers with the Velocity Plus decks. I am jealous as hell every time I see a Cheetah in action, and I'm trying to compete against it. I have to slow down and give my mower more time to cut, while they are clicking along at 9+ mph.

I use a Bad Boy Outlaw Stander, and I have learned how to maximize its cut quality to compete, which by the way, Note to the boys at Bad Boy, your deck works best when there is NOTHING attached to the back of the deck (like rubber strips to improve the stripes). Your decks require maximum air flow all around the deck to achieve that perfect vacuum to produce a beautiful cut, and that vacuum creates a naturally beautiful stripe. And it can effectively compete with most mowers, and even out shine mowers like the Cut Quality Trademark mowers like eXmark and Toro when setup right, but not against a Cheetah with that damn velocity plus deck. When I see one, I cringe, because I know I will be spending more time so my lawn will look as good as theirs. While they click along at lightening speed.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The way they are baffled and the huge discharge opening...
Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
I want to know what's so different about the Scag Velocity Plus deck that allows it cuts so damn well. I mean, there are a lot of mowers out there that can produce a Great Quality of Cut under the right conditions. But only a couple that can cut tall 8-10" grass and bring it down to at least 4", with no stragglers, clumps or lumps, and distribution of the grass is still looks great, and from my observations that is the Hustler Super Z and the Scag mowers with the Velocity Plus decks. I am jealous as hell every time I see a Cheetah in action, and I'm trying to compete against it. I have to slow down and give my mower more time to cut, while they are clicking along at 9+ mph.

I use a Bad Boy Outlaw Stander, and I have learned how to maximize its cut quality to compete, which by the way, Note to the boys at Bad Boy, your deck works best when there is NOTHING attached to the back of the deck (like rubber strips to improve the stripes). Your decks require maximum air flow all around the deck to achieve that perfect vacuum to produce a beautiful cut, and that vacuum creates a naturally beautiful stripe. And it can effectively compete with most mowers, and even out shine mowers like the Cut Quality Trademark mowers like eXmark and Toro when setup right, but not against a Cheetah with that damn velocity plus deck. When I see one, I cringe, because I know I will be spending more time so my lawn will look as good as theirs. While they click along at lightening speed.
Were you mowing in the rain and getting all agitated? Hahaha
Old 08-12-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Grass is always looks greener on the other side! I'm not saying it isn't but I'm sure there are some stranglers left at 9mph. BTW I do own a cheetah.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Grass is always looks greener on the other side! I'm not saying it isn't but I'm sure there are some stranglers left at 9mph. BTW I do own a cheetah.
Good to know. But from across the street, sure does look nice.

Here is what my mower produces, next time I'll take a picture of the Cheetah's lawn. It looks pretty incredible.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I wish we could get stripes like that down here in the south. Ours is more of a carpet look low and level
Old 08-12-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Weeds Left Behind View Post
I wish we could get stripes like that down here in the south. Ours is more of a carpet look low and level
I hear ya! But I like that look too!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
Good to know. But from across the street, sure does look nice.

Here is what my mower produces, next time I'll take a picture of the Cheetah's lawn. It looks pretty incredible.

Why you need to go 9mph on that small lot? Looks good BTW.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Why you need to go 9mph on that small lot? Looks good BTW.
LOL! That's the front yard, the back is about an acre. Narrow like the front, just real deep, and I don't ever need to go 9-mph, but just like the way that Cheetah cuts. It's a competitor and we have three customers that are across the street from each other. So I see what he does, and he sees what I do, and its a friendly, "I can do better than you." type of thing. But he always beats me in cutting time. Hell he's done in about 15-minutes, and I'm still cutting for another 15-minutes or so. I saw him knock down 12" grass in one pass, where I would have to cut it at least twice to achieve what he achieved in one pass. That is what really caught my eye. I mean one pass and it looked perfectly flat. I was like, WOW! No clumps, No Lumps! and the distribution was clean! WOW!

Thanks, BTW.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I cant find it, but a while ago there was a post with pictures of all leading brand mower decks, It was very interesting, I wish i could find it. It showed the underside of about 6 to 8 mowers. Maybe someone can help find it, it would help explain why some brands cut better than others.

Kubota 2620 W/Loader 60"Mower, 52" SnowBlower
JD 48" WalkBehind
Stihl Trimmer/Blower/ChainSaw
21" Husky mower w/Honda 160
36" Cub Cadet/Lesco G1336