Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,985
Wasn't there a thread a while back about guys complaining about scags cut?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
The Velocity deck really is amazing. It cuts great in almost all conditions. There is a reason it has been unchanged since 2006. I ran them for years but just recently switched to Gravely with the X-Factor deck. I get almost as good wet cutting as the velocity and a better dry cut due to smaller clippings. Another great deck is the JD 7 Iron. We have to have a deck that cuts good in most conditions and I hate double cutting. Its a pet peeve of mine and a huge waste of time and money.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by KV9064 View Post
I cant find it, but a while ago there was a post with pictures of all leading brand mower decks, It was very interesting, I wish i could find it. It showed the underside of about 6 to 8 mowers. Maybe someone can help find it, it would help explain why some brands cut better than others.
For your viewing pleasure.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=322546
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
I want to know what's so different about the Scag Velocity Plus deck that allows it cuts so damn well. I mean, there are a lot of mowers out there that can produce a Great Quality of Cut under the right conditions. But only a couple that can cut tall 8-10" grass and bring it down to at least 4", with no stragglers, clumps or lumps, and distribution of the grass is still looks great, and from my observations that is the Hustler Super Z and the Scag mowers with the Velocity Plus decks. I am jealous as hell every time I see a Cheetah in action, and I'm trying to compete against it. I have to slow down and give my mower more time to cut, while they are clicking along at 9+ mph.

I use a Bad Boy Outlaw Stander, and I have learned how to maximize its cut quality to compete, which by the way, Note to the boys at Bad Boy, your deck works best when there is NOTHING attached to the back of the deck (like rubber strips to improve the stripes). Your decks require maximum air flow all around the deck to achieve that perfect vacuum to produce a beautiful cut, and that vacuum creates a naturally beautiful stripe. And it can effectively compete with most mowers, and even out shine mowers like the Cut Quality Trademark mowers like eXmark and Toro when setup right, but not against a Cheetah with that damn velocity plus deck. When I see one, I cringe, because I know I will be spending more time so my lawn will look as good as theirs. While they click along at lightening speed.
After all the BS, I thought you were done with BB?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-13-2013, 07:32 AM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
After all the BS, I thought you were done with BB?
LOL. Thought BB would have bought that clam back. Wonder if they fired that rep?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-13-2013, 08:59 AM
kawakx125 kawakx125 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: lees summit, mo
Posts: 945
all you deck experts take a look at the aerocore deck and tell me what you'd modify (if anything) to get a better cut and dispersal. also interested to see how you think it performs just by looking at the picture. i'd post one but can't at work.

http://www.wrightmfg.com/products/aero-core-deck/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-13-2013, 11:12 AM
tamo tamo is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 212
Is the Advantage deck on Scag's 36" as good as the Velocity?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
all you deck experts take a look at the aerocore deck and tell me what you'd modify (if anything) to get a better cut and dispersal. also interested to see how you think it performs just by looking at the picture. i'd post one but can't at work.

http://www.wrightmfg.com/products/aero-core-deck/
IMO, that angled down steel at the rear of each chamber hurts the cut far more than helps it, because it interrupts/disturbs the high speed air flow created by the lift sails. The sails lift the air immediately at start up of the deck blades, and since there's no where for the air to go once they start spinning and lifting, the only alternative is for the air stream to go out the side, which creates a high speed discharge. Having that angled down section disrupts all that and slows the discharge down a bit, which in turn can help create clumping in wet conditions. Plus, that angle is just another place for wet grass to stick and collect. I'd also get rid of those two little angular pieces of steel at the point of the rear skirting in between each blade.

This deck is a close copy of the ICD and JD mod in design of the front baffle shape, and the MOD in the design of those two little pieces of steel at the rear skirt in between each blade. I have enough experience with the MOD to know that they need to go.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-13-2013, 12:14 PM
kawakx125 kawakx125 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: lees summit, mo
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
IMO, that angled down steel at the rear of each chamber hurts the cut far more than helps it, because it interrupts/disturbs the high speed air flow created by the lift sails. The sails lift the air immediately at start up of the deck blades, and since there's no where for the air to go once they start spinning and lifting, the only alternative is for the air stream to go out the side, which creates a high speed discharge. Having that angled down section disrupts all that and slows the discharge down a bit, which in turn can help create clumping in wet conditions. Plus, that angle is just another place for wet grass to stick and collect. I'd also get rid of those two little angular pieces of steel at the point of the rear skirting in between each blade.

This deck is a close copy of the ICD and JD mod in design of the front baffle shape, and the MOD in the design of those two little pieces of steel at the rear skirt in between each blade. I have enough experience with the MOD to know that they need to go.
I have thought all along that the angle at rear of deck causes problems, unfortunately the only area i can remedy that is in the middle blade. If you look at scag's deck though, they seem to have that area as well, but only in about 1/3 of the area of each cutting chamber (unless that is just some sort of stiffener, hard to tell from pic).

the wright has good discharge velocity, but leaves long clippings and a poor pattern. It clumps weeds, and in very tall grass will tend to ''puff'' grass out the discharge chute, not necessarily tight wet clumps but just tufts of grass that don't look leave the lawn looking great. What i believe to happen with that angle as well is that it forces the air back over to the front of the deck, and takes all the clippings with it. As a result 90% of the clippings leave the discharge chute at the front and are thrown in a straight line from the deck. there is no ''fanning'' pattern to speak of. If there were a way to modify the dispersal pattern and ''fan'' out better, i believe the deck would be much better, if not great. It leaves some stragglers also but this might be remedied with a smoother airflow. the tightly baffled decks such as the ultracut seem to do best with leaving no stragglers at all, but they aren't too good in wet conditions. This aerocore deck actually stays very clean, even in damp grass. (cut a yard full of weeds you'll be scraping the deck though, no surprise there). If someone could figure out a way to easily remedy the dispersal pattern I think alot of people would be much happier with this deck.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-13-2013, 12:16 PM
kawakx125 kawakx125 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: lees summit, mo
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamo View Post
Is the Advantage deck on Scag's 36" as good as the Velocity?
the advantage deck looks just about the same as the deck on my 36'' wright. no complaints about it really
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:40 AM.

Page generated in 0.07375 seconds with 7 queries