Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Are you referring to driveway drops of sandwich bags? That has been discussed her many times and the vast majority consider it a tacky scrub means of advertising.
Also another way to look at it is to look at the customers way of viewing it. Ok get this. If you were a customer and had no idea about fertilizers or anything consering that and you had a person send you an educational postcard explaining the values of fert. and such that pertains to what they are reading and also see that you CARE to send them a free sample with detailed instructions on how to get the most out of the sample, man you would be the first company they would call to get a quote because they know you care about them. There's a lot of very good ideas but it all boils down to how bad you wamt it and how much time you want to put into it. The less time you put in it yields a lower success rate or so I have seen. But if you take the time and really make the most out of it most of the time you will have a better success rate which means More calls, more estimates, and what we all like more opportunities to close the sale. Which will be significantly lower if you were to use just a basic postcard desgin rather than something creative and eye catching. Just my .02 and sorry for the long drawn out post and grammatical errors you grammar trolls
Old 08-23-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Also another way to look at it is to look at the customers way of viewing it. Ok get this. If you were a customer and had no idea about fertilizers or anything consering that and you had a person send you an educational postcard explaining the values of fert. and such that pertains to what they are reading and also see that you CARE to send them a free sample with detailed instructions on how to get the most out of the sample, man you would be the first company they would call to get a quote because they know you care about them. There's a lot of very good ideas but it all boils down to how bad you wamt it and how much time you want to put into it. The less time you put in it yields a lower success rate or so I have seen. But if you take the time and really make the most out of it most of the time you will have a better success rate which means More calls, more estimates, and what we all like more opportunities to close the sale. Which will be significantly lower if you were to use just a basic postcard desgin rather than something creative and eye catching. Just my .02 and sorry for the long drawn out post and grammatical errors you grammar trolls
How much fert can you realistically put in a baggie? What good is 2 tbs of nitrogen going to do other than go straight to the trashcan.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
How much fert can you realistically put in a baggie? What good is 2 tbs of nitrogen going to do other than go straight to the trashcan.
I believe that you can get much more then 2tbs of fert in a 3x5 bag but put it in a certain spot in the yard and make sure you follow the instructions and enjoy the success. It's not hard to do believe it or not and certainly not impossible with 2tbs of fert
Old 08-24-2013, 06:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Liability is high if a kid opens your package of fert. Don't do it.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
It's a great marketing technique and if your looking to expand and yield great results go for it. But if you arerworried about a kid getting into a sample, then just advertise call for a free sample!!! Then you will have a 9x out of 10 chance to close the sale. So lets recap.

Pro of sample on flyer/postcard
A way to get your message across to potential clients.
A great way to show them you really care.
Pretty decent calls for estimates.
Free sample of some of your WONDERFUL product also with a great chance of them telling a friend about the great offer.

Cons of sample on flyer/postcard
A kid or animal gets ahold of it and then swallows the product.

PRO OF OFFERING A FREE SAMPLE ON THE ACTUAL POSTCARD

1.Greater chance of getting phone calls because lets face it who wouldn't want a free sample???
2.Looks more professional because you don't have a plastic bag stapled to the marketing material.
3.You get to actually meet the customer and get a feel of the situation so they can't try to sucker you in on a call and be like can you come by and check my yard out kinda call.
4. Increased chance of closing the sale. Educate them o what you are doing and how it will benefit them. Actually show them the steps in the free sample and tell them since I'm already here why don't I go ahead and give you an estimate on how much it will cost for me to treat your yard. And if you really want to get their attention with a call to action plan tell them that if they go ahead and sign up for our services that you will take an additional 5% off first months bill or the total price of everything.
5. Tell them about your referal program. You do have a referal program right???
Old 08-24-2013, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have a little back yard BBQ for your current customers. Shows your appreciation and it will get them talking to others about your business.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
very very good point
Old 08-24-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Haha hell no!!

But a great flyer that focuses on the educational value of what you're trying to sell and send them like a sample bag ie. a small zip lock bag or like at office depot we have these 3×5 resealable bags that are used for shipping purchases which would be ideal and just staple a business card on the front and you will be golden and it's pretty good! Or on the back of the flyer have a sample pack stapled to it. There are many ways of doings this but a lot of people have done it the wrong way which is plastic bag thrown in driveway. If you do that it makes you and your company look like crap imo
I know someone that did $165k in sales last year justfrom the bags

We throw 5k every two week. Trust me - It works

Granted this is for a different industry, but it works
Old 08-24-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I know someone that did $165k in sales last year justfrom the bags

We throw 5k every two week. Trust me - It works

Granted this is for a different industry, but it works
So how would you rate the turn around % on how many you put out to how many you close the sale on?!??!?!?!?!?¿?!
You
Old 08-24-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So how would you rate the turn around % on how many you put out to how many you close the sale on?!??!?!?!?!?¿?!
You
Usually about 25 calls per batch. 80% closing