Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

What makes a ZTR good for hills?

Looking for some advice...

I currently have a husky iz 5223 zero turn. Less than thrilled with the machine but overall it's been pretty solid. Tunnel ram deck leaves a lot to be desired in wet conditions but whatever.

One of the lawns I cut has a pretty steep hill on it. It's a long hill (well over 100' long) and the hypotenuse of the hill if you will (measuring the surface straight down) is probably 40-50 feet. Not going to attempt to ballpark the grade as a degree or percent because I'll probably exaggerate but there's probably a good 15 feet of fall in the hill. To make matters worse the yard is shady and has a lot of clay, so it takes forever to dry out and if it's not dry it's incredibly slippery. Like slide off the lawn and into the brush slippery.

My mowing is very part time and not really a main source of income. So getting a machine that's 12K plus or something like that is out of the question.

I realize the husky ZTR that i have is less than loved.

The question--

What's the most important thing you've found in hillside handling?

Does a wider stance and or larger tires make much more of a difference? Does it all come down to center of gravity. I've mowed with a larger hustler (super z?) and it does much better on hills.

I've been looking at some Ferris machines (is 2000) on clearance and they are very attractively priced. I'm wondering how the suspension will affect hillside traction.

I do too much flat work and mowing of lesser hills to get a walk behind and dont have space or time for a WB and a rider.

Before I get anything new I will definitely demo but im looking for some pre-demo advice I guess. Any machines that really really stand out on hills?
Old 08-13-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Weight center of gravity and tire pressure. Get the biggest mower with the widest deck fuel tank under seat and run about 12 psi in the tires. I can take a scag TT with a 61 and mow anything
Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark x series and toro 6000 series are great on hills. Engine is placed lower on the frame, gas tank under the seat, and a new design of hydros make them great on hills

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wright stander.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have taken the ferris is2000z that you are looking at on some steep stuff. The suspension actually helps, it pushes the machine back uphill in a way by giving resistance to the downward pressure, if that makes sense. The 3100z is even better.

I have never operated a turf tiger, but they look like they would be great on hills as well. Basically, if the machine is balanced well, has the right tires with the right pressure and a good operator, they can go almost anywhere.

Hell, the best mower that I have ever used on hills was an old Walker MT side discharge with the 62" deck and all terrain tires. It sat so low to the ground, I would take it anywhere.