Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Saw this on Facebook today.

"....Americans do not use their lawns. Americans, collectively, are obese people that sit in air-conditioned houses watching cable television. Let's be honest: all of the millions upon millions of gallons of wasted water that we pour onto our beloved lawns do not go to benefit our children, who will be frolicking in the grass, or to enhance our communities, by providing a bucolic scene for neighborly interaction. Our kids play video games. We never talk to our neighbors. Everyone stays inside, with the climate control close at hand. The lawns that we expend so many resources on are primarily used for nothing but glancing at once in a while. They are the vegetative version of a coat of paint. And frankly, we can't afford them any more. We need that water to grow food and to drink and to help poorly planned drought-ridden cities like yours to not dry up and blow away completely. At this point in America's environmental evolution, diverting water to grow yourself a god damn lawn that shouldn't even be there in the first place is like using the water supply in a lifeboat to wash your hair. It simply cannot be allowed...."

http://gawker.com/ban-lawns-1107358428

"....As the Great American Suburban Experiment comes to an ignominious end, some of the suburb's most destructive totems are falling out of fashion. Garages are far less popular than they used to be, thank god. And now, it is time to take on the other suburban monstrosity that afflicts this great nation like a plague: lawns. Ban them.

Not all lawns, no. Some lawns are naturally occurring. Those lawns may be more accurately described as "nature." Lots of grass occurs in nature. If you build your house in a nice grassy field, you have a nice natural lawn. That's just fine. Enjoy your natural lawn.

Those are not the lawns that afflict America like a bunch of toxic little parasites. The Problem Lawns are the lawns that exist where there should not be any lawns. In the desert, for example. If you live in Arizona, or New Mexico, or Las Vegas, you have effectively, by your choice of locale, forsaken your claim to a lawn. You do not get to have a lawn in the desert, any more than you get to have a backyard nuclear reactor for your own amusement. Both are vast wastes of resources. There is a reason why cities throughout the Southwestern United States are now paying homeowners to permanently rip out their own lawns: lawns are bad for us all. We should not have gone to war in order to keep gas prices low for your gas-guzzling SUV; likewise, we should decline to wage the upcoming World Water Wars in order to provide you with a nice green lawn in front of your desert suburban home. (Golf courses— big lawns drowning in artificial chemicals for the exclusive amusement of the rich— should be also be banned.)

Start enjoying the look of sand. It's not bad.

There is a very simple way to determine which lawns can stay, and which lawns must go. First, a city should determine how much water can reasonably and safely be used by each resident, in light of the fact that we are mired in a horrific national drought that will only get worse with climate change. Then, our government agencies should determine which pesticides and fertilizers can safely be used in residential settings over the long term, based on environmental science rather than the aesthetic preferences of affluent suburbanites. Then, we wait. If your lawn survives without being fed copious amounts of precious water and chemical performance enhancers, great. You get a lawn. If your lawn dies, you don't get a lawn. Get a rock garden. They're very zen...."

Did Kiril write this?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Move to Russia. ..
Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just signed up a big artificial turf job, I think it's a great idea
Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just went and turned my kitchen faucet on. I'm going to let it run for an hour - just run it down the drain and WASTE IT.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Plenty of water to go around, just need to get it from east...and use drip in much more places...
Lawns are aetheticslly pleasing, mske for a cooler microclimate around house ..plsnts and trees shading house make for cheaper cooling bills..also allow folks to want to be outside...no water use equals burnt up desert..by same line of reasoning, folks shouldn't live in desert..
Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Saw this on Facebook today.

Move here to va. We have had 5 inches of rain since Friday. Lakes are all over full mudslides and 65-70 degree high temps in August. Come take all the water you want. It's free
Old 08-12-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I will agree on the part that most people are lazy and overweight due to inactivity. The biggest disease in America is "Sittin on your Azz disease". Notice the commercials on TV that encourage kids to play 60 minutes a day. This is a sad indication of society when we have to tell kids to play outside for an hour.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I just went and turned my kitchen faucet on. I'm going to let it run for an hour - just run it down the drain and WASTE IT.

Reminds me of an 11pm emergency call I got from large hoa on Saturday night...I asked a bucha questions to make sure it was actually a mainline break. ...LARGE AMOUNT OF WATER RUNNING IN STREET! They called me back and let me know someone was draining their pool...
Old 08-12-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not everyone stays inside, i''m at my grandma's a lot and all the neighbors hang outside if its not blazing hot out, and im always outside, we don't use the lawn but i take pride in it.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

eh.... consider the source.... a website for liberal hipster ******bags who have no clue as to how the real world works.....