Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

If farmers want/need water maybe they should stop draintiling and plowing every wetland.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sweet...! Just liked and shared it on my Facebook page.

Not getting the garage angle...? What about car ports?

What's next...tax incentives for living in a trailer park...?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like the sort of dribble we had over here a few years back. We were in a bad drought and sprinklers were banned. People that really wanted sprinklers to water their grass installed a rain water tank or two.

We have had floods and regular rain for the past 3 years or so now. The biggest Dam in Sydney has had the spillway opened twice in the past year. The weather goes in cycles of drought and so called "normal" rainfall patterns. No need to ban lawns but I agree it is a waste of water if dam levels are on a free fall.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I will agree on the part that most people are lazy and overweight due to inactivity. The biggest disease in America is "Sittin on your Azz disease". Notice the commercials on TV that encourage kids to play 60 minutes a day. This is a sad indication of society when we have to tell kids to play outside for an hour.
X2 on this! I don't even have kids yet but my wife is a 3rd grade teacher and some of those kids and most of all parents make me sick. LAZY people. When I grew up my parents made me and my brothers do 4 hours a weekend of Manuel labor not including our daily tasks. Tell a kid now to put the controller down and go outside and pickup sticks they act like its the end of the world. On a positive note I believe with the babybomers retiring and all these lazy kids I think it's a good time to get into lawn care. Just a thought.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is air conditioning next? Comes down to don't build developments in the desert. I live and work in the Merrimac river basin. The flow into the Atlantic is 1 million gallons every 5 minutes. Springtime flow is 1 million gals every 2 minutes. Hell we could take 1/2 that water and still put 6 million gals every hr back into the ocean.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
Did Kiril write this?
Not likely, way too political for my taste. That said, potable water resources are dwindling and I do support the idea of use it or lose it lawns. Sooner or later we will have to face the fact that unsustainable landscapes will simply have to go.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Funny I was talking to a customer last week about how someday using potable water for irrigation will be banned. Money rules everything. We lost a county maintenance contract because every three years they have to put it out to bid and the county has to take the lowest bid which was not us. Its like alot of our commercial sites we fix the worst problems and if there is money over start improving things.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohn2000 View Post
Funny I was talking to a customer last week about how someday using potable water for irrigation will be banned. Money rules everything. We lost a county maintenance contract because every three years they have to put it out to bid and the county has to take the lowest bid which was not us. Its like alot of our commercial sites we fix the worst problems and if there is money over start improving things.
You just think the county has to take low bid.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
You just think the county has to take low bid.
Thats what my branch manager explained to me. Only other information Ive heard is that they have to get three bids.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I think I ran the water while I was brushing my teeth this morning, .....