Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2013, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Member

What is your price per acre?

I looked through the first page of threads on this forum and didn't see anything related to this. Here is what I'm wondering...

For you guys that have big lawns... do you have a set price per acre? How big is your mower that you use for that price?

A guy has 1.5 acres that he wants cut and I'm trying to see what others are doing to give me something to reference with my little ZT 34. I found a mowing calculator online that said I would cut 1.09 acres per hour with a 30" wide deck @ 4mph. I used 30" instead of 34" to account for the overlap.

So if that calculator is correct I think I'll be charging around $90 for that 1.5 acres. This particular account would be mowing only... no trimming.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGuyswithMowers View Post
I looked through the first page of threads on this forum and didn't see anything related to this. Here is what I'm wondering...

For you guys that have big lawns... do you have a set price per acre? How big is your mower that you use for that price?

A guy has 1.5 acres that he wants cut and I'm trying to see what others are doing to give me something to reference with my little ZT 34. I found a mowing calculator online that said I would cut 1.09 acres per hour with a 30" wide deck @ 4mph. I used 30" instead of 34" to account for the overlap.

So if that calculator is correct I think I'll be charging around $90 for that 1.5 acres. This particular account would be mowing only... no trimming.
Price seems right but don't know if you can get it done in 1 1/2 hours. Maybe since you don't have to trim. The smallest mower I use is a 48 so I'm just guessing. I have a 36in for gated yards but I dont have any so it says at home and I'm happy about that. I do a 1 acre yard as a favor for $50 and it takes me a hour to mow trim and blow with a 48in.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I wish I could say the same about gated yards. Almost all of my yard have gates,, which is why I bought the 34 inch mower.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I believe 90 is probably all right in this particular scenario but only because it is what it is.

Last edited by herler; 08-13-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Acre price is never the same for each lawn
my price range is 30 to 40
I can mow up to 5.5 acres per hour to with 72'' mower
Old 08-13-2013, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You really need to think about how long it'll take you, but 90 seems good to me. You need to think about how much you get for your small lawns, and if you can mow three small lawns for 30 in the same time, then 90 is fair. Don't ever pick up huge lawns for a premium price when you have smaller decked equipment. If your competition has 60" ztrs, and will do it for 50, let them have it
Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im right at 65/acre, so you are right on the money with the price

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Insta ban OP
Old 08-13-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is not a way to say 1 acre = $x. A soccer complex is very easy and quick to mow, as it is all wide open. A heavily treed, or rock wall acre area will take much longer as you have to go much slower.

You need to develop a eye for how long it will take you and go from there on what your costs will be. I personally have no idea what a acre looks like. But I have gotten pretty good at looking at a piece of land and calculating how long it will take me to mow/trim/blow the land and then compare that to my prices.

While it may take you double the time to mow the property than someone with a large 60"+ Z, you cant charge double, as what property owner will pay that?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
There is not a way to say 1 acre = $x. A soccer complex is very easy and quick to mow, as it is all wide open. A heavily treed, or rock wall acre area will take much longer as you have to go much slower.

You need to develop a eye for how long it will take you and go from there on what your costs will be. I personally have no idea what a acre looks like. But I have gotten pretty good at looking at a piece of land and calculating how long it will take me to mow/trim/blow the land and then compare that to my prices.

While it may take you double the time to mow the property than someone with a large 60"+ Z, you cant charge double, as what property owner will pay that?
Exactly, and if we're talking about the same acre of land, whether I cut it with a 21" push mower or a 60" Ztr, if it's the same acre it also costs the same.
For the sake of argument if it costs $70 to do a semi-rocky rather hilly acre then it costs $70 regardless of equipment.

So I can't charge more because I use a slower mower.
Then again I also won't charge less if I get done faster.