Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Sit down trimming/finishing

Have a mowing business where I do about 75 lawns, twice a month. These are foreclosed houses -- so it's just hack it down and blow it off type work. My clients are office types (mortgage banks) who look at pictures from hundreds of miles away.

I'm a left leg amputee so all my work is done sitting down. Need to be able to do minimal trimming around these houses in places I can't reach with the mowers edge. These troublesome areas sometimes show up in pictures and I get called out when someone spots them.

I have low-skilled guys I drag around from time to time to help me with this work, but it eats into my profits big-time.

I've tried the lightest weight gas trimmers -- reaching out with 1 hand while trying to steer my zero turns with the other. A big pain in the ass and very tiring and slow.

How about some ideas to trim this stuff up while moving around the yard on my 1st trip through?? Troublesome areas for me are around downspouts (and concrete troughs) gas meters, swing sets, concrete steps out to the sidewalk, handrails, etc.

Thanks so much for noodling this around. Man, a hot laser beam that I could wand around would be pretty cool, but then I'd have to haul a fire extinguisher around, too.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never used it but I know grasshopper offers an edger attachment that attaches to the mower deck. Again no experience with it but a quick google search gave me this attachment for string trimming from a zero turn, runs off an electric motor wired into your charging system http://www.mowfaster.com/ztrimmer.php

Swisher also makes a fencline trimmer which is a tow behind that has has it's own power which may or may not work for your needs. It's called the postmaster
Old 08-12-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks a bunch, TTS. Knew about the Swisher. but that Z-Trimmer gives me a few ideas.....

I was thinking about a 12v cordless trimmer I could connect to my mower battery to save weight and I wouldn't have to deal with a blast of exhaust in the face if I got careless. Underpowered, but I'm not talking about saplings, just dandelions and crabgrass stuff.

YouTube of Z-Trimmer here -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQxMcL6mg0
Old 08-12-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I know this is off your topic but I got offered one of those gigs from a company out of Georgia to do that. Is it worth messing with? I almost thought it was a scam.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I make a decent living doing them. Really depends on the "middle-man" you deal with - between you and the banks. Some (I've heard) can work you over pretty bad. Mine is a fair and honest guy.

The good -- fast and easy and you don't have a homeowner or maintenance guy watching your every move. Nobody is fussy, if I scar a wet yard with my aggressive tires - no big deal. Most of the yards are crappy anyway.

The bad -- pay on the low end and I get paid every 30 days after the fact. Paperwork and data entry to deal with.

After 4 years I've got a good system and can knock these things out pretty quick. Have a 34" ZT(that can get through any gate ever made) and a 60" ZT which I can haul ass. If you can do 5 to 10 yards/day by yourself, you can pick up $5K/mo without breathing hard...
Old 08-12-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

BTW - thanks again TTS. Just ordered a Z-Trimmer. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Got to thinking about doing my own DIY trimmer thing and after spending $200 plus multiple trips to the hardware store, plus hours of aggravation, and busted knuckles .... just added a year to my life.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I prolly should have taken that offer but o well. I dont know if I like the idea of doing crappy yards. I am used to doing kinda high end residential but if I got the opportunity again i would prolly take it.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Funny - I was cutting one of my "crappy" lawns the other day and saw a couple of landscape guys pull up across the street to do a yard. The homeowner was outside, hands on hips, the whole time watching every blade fly. When they got done and moved down the block to do another, he walked every corner of his yard. He was soon chasing them down the block to register a complaint about some weed they may have missed.

We all have our own preferences, but I have enough aggravation in my life already without dealing with that stuff. if you know what I mean... rather deal with picking up fallen branches, whiskey bottles and MacDonald sacks.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Weeds Left Behind View Post
Well I prolly should have taken that offer but o well. I dont know if I like the idea of doing crappy yards. I am used to doing kinda high end residential but if I got the opportunity again i would prolly take it.
These jobs are pretty rough on your equipment. Keep doing what you're doing, you're building a business on the side from your career. There is no reason to stretch yourself thin doing low end work. The margins aren't great, so even if you hire people to do it, you'll walk away with a little cash, mower repair bills, and a payroll.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can you spray where your mower won't reach? Heck if its just a picture paint the grass green where it dies. I'm not being a smart a^^. I'm serious.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
1995 36" Scag Walk Behind