Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-15-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
As a commercial cutter mowing 10+ properties a day I find myself adjusting the seat air pressure a lot. Some properties are much rougher than others. On some steep hills I take all the air out to lower my center of gravity. So IMO a hand pump air seat would be a PITA.
You made the statement in an earlier post that you found, as I did, that raising the seat about 1 1/2" with air pressure is what gave the best ride.

I would believe raising the seat with air pressure serves the purpose of giving the best ride for the person's weight. You sound as if you change the pressure regularly, I would say most people do not. They set the seat to where it gives the best ride for their weight, and this is where it remains, but here again, it's a Ford, Chevrolet scenario, if it satisfies a person, then that's the action they need to take.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
They are ridiculously fast....Lol. scared of the employees just running them around the parking lot....
Actually a mower of that speed is creating a dangerous situation and Hustler could be opening the door for lawsuits, the unit should have 2 speeds with a locking devise so the owner can lock it in slow mode for safety if desired.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You made the statement in an earlier post that you found, as I did, that raising the seat about 1 1/2" with air pressure is what gave the best ride.

I would believe raising the seat with air pressure serves the purpose of giving the best ride for the person's weight. You sound as if you change the pressure regularly, I would say most people do not. They set the seat to where it gives the best ride for their weight, and this is where it remains, but here again, it's a Ford, Chevrolet scenario, if it satisfies a person, then that's the action they need to take.
Yup 1-2" is my favorite position for comfort. But I do move it depending on conditions especially steep hills. But if I had only one choice it would be 1 1/2".
Old 08-15-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yup 1-2" is my favorite position for comfort. But I do move it depending on conditions especially steep hills. But if I had only one choice it would be 1 1/2".
Given the Grammer seat feels the same as the Gravely I tried, I will manually pump it up to my desired height, and probably never change it again, the same as I have with the last several mowers I've owned with Michigan seats. I set them on the best ride and forget they have an adjustment, as will most people.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Given the Grammer seat feels the same as the Gravely I tried, I will manually pump it up to my desired height, and probably never change it again, the same as I have with the last several mowers I've owned with Michigan seats. I set them on the best ride and forget they have an adjustment, as will most people.
Most commercial cutters will adjust to different confitions given the choice and ease. I mow a small apple orchard with lots of low hanging branches, with no air I get the extra head room. The Gravely air seat is far superior than the michigan seats. There is no comparison at all.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Most commercial cutters will adjust to different confitions given the choice and ease. I mow a small apple orchard with lots of low hanging branches, with no air I get the extra head room. The Gravely air seat is far superior than the michigan seats. There is no comparison at all.
I've used both an agree the air suspension seat is definitely better, to say it is better than the air ride Grammer seat Hustler uses, I doubt it seriously.

That's funny about being able to lower the seat enough to make a difference when mowing under apple tree limbs. I would have never thought 1 1/2" would make that kind of difference.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I've used both an agree the air suspension seat is definitely better, to say it is better than the air ride Grammer seat Hustler uses, I doubt it seriously.

That's funny about being able to lower the seat enough to make a difference when mowing under apple tree limbs. I would have never thought 1 1/2" would make that kind of difference.
I have never used the air grammer seat so I cant state that gravely's is better. Im sure its also amazing and better than the typical suspn. seats. But I will say an electric pump is a nice feature vs a hand pump.

As far as head clearance on limbs it makes a huge difference. I have the scars to prove it!! Also a lot of my large commercial acerage accounts have a ton of ornamental trees that hang low.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Yea I can reiterate what GMLC says, as will prob most guys mowing different properties all the time. even 1" would make a difference.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Yea, but you also never thought that an extra 1- 1.5 mph would make that much difference either, but now you know different.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Yea, but you also never thought that an extra 1- 1.5 mph would make that much difference either, but now you know different.
I am getting a little more comfortable with the faster speed, in other words I would use it if facing a fast moving rain storm, but for the most part I will mow in the 14 to 14 1/2 mph range in my long open areas. I think you could see in the video I would have no problem mowing at a full 15 mph, just don't need to kick my 64 yr old body around any more than necessary.

I still do really well for my age, I've got 64 year old friends that could not get out of bed the next day if they rode a mower 4 hours at the speeds I use. I would be willing to guess most of you younger guys would feel a difference as well. There is a great deal of difference when mowing at 14 to 15 mph, than at what you boys run at which is probably in the 8 to no more than 10 mph range, it's a totally different feel, and your body knows well, believe me.