Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I am getting a little more comfortable with the faster speed, in other words I would use it if facing a fast moving rain storm, but for the most part I will mow in the 14 to 14 1/2 mph range in my long open areas. I think you could see in the video I would have no problem mowing at a full 15 mph, just don't need to kick my 64 yr old body around any more than necessary.

I still do really well for my age, I've got 64 year old friends that could not get out of bed the next day if they rode a mower 4 hours at the speeds I use. I would be willing to guess most of you younger guys would feel a difference as well. There is a great deal of difference when mowing at 14 to 15 mph, than at what you boys run at which is probably in the 8 to no more than 10 mph range, it's a totally different feel, and your body knows well, believe me.
True, but some of us have worked very hard our entire lives and are still in decent shape. I was a rough carpenter for my entire main career, so I know all about hard work and bodily abuse, believe me, and I can still outdo many, if not most younger guys to this day. None of this is accounting for all my extra circular activities either which are hard on the body either.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
True, but some of us have worked very hard our entire lives and are still in decent shape. I was a rough carpenter for my entire main career, so I know all about hard work and bodily abuse, believe me, and I can still outdo many, if not most younger guys to this day. None of this is accounting for all my extra circular activities either which are hard on the body either.
However, you will agree for each mph added to mowing speed there is a larger toll to be paid by added bodily fatigue? I would say from operating a mower at 8 mph to an increased speed of 14 mph; would double the amount of muscle fatigue your body is forced to deal with, possibly beyond double.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

True, but that's why there are Ferris mowers made.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's why Greenology now owns a Ferris mower :>
Old 08-16-2013, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
That's why Greenology now owns a Ferris mower :>
If I owned property I could not utilize the faster speeds of the Super Z, the 3100 is what I would own as well, and I've told you this before. I love the 3100, it's just not the most productive mower for my cutting situation. That is my situation alone, and no others. I would say if I mowed an average of 6 hrs. per day on different properties, especially where higher speeds could not be utilized, and did this to make money, a Ferris 3100 would definitely be the mower I want on the trailer following me day in and day out.