Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Man that guy has everything down there.. He's about 150 miles from me.. I thought it over several times about buying all Ferris from him but we got like 1 Ferris dealer here and he didn't like the idea of servicing/warranty work for a mower that was bought from someone else. He straight told me those mowers go to the back of the line if they where not bought from him, and of course his prices where higher than the Ebay guy... So needless to say I went in a different direction... I really did like the Ferris 36" hydro cut and was probably just gonna get a 1500 or 2000 model z...
Old 08-13-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenology View Post
Very nice. Does your friend cut any lawns bellow 2.5"? I find the deck is inaccurate below this height, yet to figure out why. But would be interested to hear what he thinks if he cuts that low.

For eg Im using the 1.5" setting to cut areas I used to cut @ 2.5 with other ZTRs & its still not as low. On any other machine at that height you would be scalping everywhere.
I do cut lower then 2.5" but normally only in the spring, I normally cut at 2.5"
Yes that toggle switch is the throttle...
Only have 1.6 hours on so far, it rides very well and cuts good to, being a Walker owner and user for over 20 years it is a learning curve on riding this, but I'm getting the hang of it.
I normally cut 419 bermuda and fescue
Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The new 3100z with the 37 dfi is a great machine. A ton of power and fuel usage is similar to my 27hp Deere z830a. I have added a suspension seat kit to mine to give it a floating cloud ride.I have been very happy with mine. I have clocked 300hrs on it since I bought it in April. They are a solid built machine.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok, I just watched Exmarks you tube vid on RED technology. The toggle switch is just three different rpm settings which I'm assuming this Ferris also has. The only other technology is the engine goes to limp mode(2500 rpm) if its to hot or has low oil pressure. As far as the clutch, the video also says the engine rpm drops automatically to engage and disengage. I see no reason other mowers like this ferris would not have the three fly by wire rpm settings. Infact it looks like the 3100 had this option in 2010. Exmark may own the limp mode and clutch technology but not the fly by wire throttle settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVZ5EiY54_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6f8WaDW_0

Last edited by GMLC; 08-13-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Really!!! Good to know. I would have thought it was all engine control technology and Exmark just owns the term RED. We should be finding out soon enough if other company's have the same engine and throttle control.

What else is RED technology besides fly by wire throttle control with different RPM settings?
According to the guy we talked to, it is a complete computer programmable system that can be upgraded at will, including models already in the field from previous years sales. For example, let's say they come out with more RED tech features in 2014 and again in 2015. The 2013's sold with RED tech can be upgraded to contain the new tech easily, right in the owner's shop or in the field. I know they have some really cool tech features/upgrades coming in the next couple years, but that's all I can say about it now.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The throttle control rocker switch is just that, just press it down towards the rabbit and it goes to full throttle, go to the turtle it goes slow, the yellow light it detects problems with the engine, if the malfunction indicator lamp begins to flash in a sequence while you are operating the unit, see the engine operators manual.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave k View Post
The throttle control rocker switch is just that, just press it down towards the rabbit and it goes to full throttle, go to the turtle it goes slow, the yellow light it detects problems with the engine, if the malfunction indicator lamp begins to flash in a sequence while you are operating the unit, see the engine operators manual.
So there's no in between detent settings? Thanks for the great info BTW.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave k View Post
I do cut lower then 2.5" but normally only in the spring, I normally cut at 2.5"
Yes that toggle switch is the throttle...
Only have 1.6 hours on so far, it rides very well and cuts good to, being a Walker owner and user for over 20 years it is a learning curve on riding this, but I'm getting the hang of it.
I normally cut 419 bermuda and fescue
Dave, on the throttle rocker switch, does it have any detent positions, or does it have a smooth rocker motion that just stays where you stop its movement?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
According to the guy we talked to, it is a complete computer programmable system that can be upgraded at will, including models already in the field from previous years sales. For example, let's say they come out with more RED tech features in 2014 and again in 2015. The 2013's sold with RED tech can be upgraded to contain the new tech easily, right in the owner's shop or in the field. I know they have some really cool tech features/upgrades coming in the next couple years, but that's all I can say about it now.
So it looks like they can add technology in the future. I bet that's the patent protected technology. Personally the only technology I would want at this time is the throttle control fly by wire(which appears to be engine technology available to everyone). I could care less about limp mode and clutch engagement rpm.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Ok, I just watched Exmarks you tube vid on RED technology. The toggle switch is just three different rpm settings which I'm assuming this Ferris also has. The only other technology is the engine goes to limp mode(2500 rpm) if its to hot or has low oil pressure. As far as the clutch, the video also says the engine rpm drops automatically to engage and disengage. I see no reason other mowers like this ferris would not have the three fly by wire rpm settings. Infact it looks like the 3100 had this option in 2010. Exmark may own the limp mode and clutch technology but not the fly by wire throttle settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVZ5EiY54_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6f8WaDW_0
Are you sure the Ferris switch isn't just a throttle switch without the preset rpm settings? I myself find it all to complicated. I been adjusting my rpms as needed for years. If I get in a tight spot and don't want to through clippings all over the place I just pull back on the throttle.. I would like to have a fuel injected mower but not with all that stuff and definitely wouldn't want to be around for repair time...