Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Dave, on the throttle rocker switch, does it have any detent positions, or does it have a smooth rocker motion that just stays where you stop its movement?
This would be ideal for me. A smooth rocker and a tach. I could choose any rpm I desired within its range.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Are you sure the Ferris switch isn't just a throttle switch without the preset rpm settings? I myself find it all to complicated. I been adjusting my rpms as needed for years. If I get in a tight spot and don't want to through clippings all over the place I just pull back on the throttle.. I would like to have a fuel injected mower but not with all that stuff and definitely wouldn't want to be around for repair time...
Im not sure on the ferris. Whether it has detents or is a smooth rocker switch the technology is the same. Just a signal to an electric motor that moves the throttle plate which replaces the throttle cable.

What I would hate is a switch that just does full throttle and idle.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
So it looks like they can add technology in the future. I bet that's the patent protected technology. Personally the only technology I would want at this time is the throttle control fly by wire(which appears to be engine technology available to everyone). I could care less about limp mode and clutch engagement rpm.
Yea, the future stuff coming out is really impressive sounding, especially when compared to what's available right now from anyone, including Exmark themselves.

Personally, I like a throttle lever on my mower so that I can set it where ever I want it. Simple things for simple minds.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This switch as I would have thought, but wanted Dave to verify is nothing but a rocker switch that lets you move into any rpm range you wish, and it stays exactly at the point it is stopped. You could not ask for anything better, and it really looks nice, removes the old standup throttle lever. gives it that sports car look. When you think about it, I am at idle, then WOT after engaging the blades, never really needed anything in between.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
This would be ideal for me. A smooth rocker and a tach. I could choose any rpm I desired within its range.
Wouldn't a smooth moving rocker switch that stayed in place be basically the same as having an efi with a throttle lever right now?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
This switch as I would have thought, but wanted Dave to verify is nothing but a rocker switch that lets you move into any rpm range you wish, and it stays exactly at the point it is stopped. You could not ask for anything better, and it really looks nice, removes the old standup throttle lever. gives it that sports car look.
That is perfect! Im guessing this is Kawi technology and I hope other mower company's offer this set up.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
This switch as I would have thought, but wanted Dave to verify is nothing but a rocker switch that lets you move into any rpm range you wish, and it stays exactly at the point it is stopped. You could not ask for anything better, and it really looks nice, removes the old standup throttle lever. gives it that sports car look. When you think about it, I am at idle, then WOT after engaging the blades, never really needed anything in between.
No, maybe you don't for your situation puppy, but, you don't mow for a living. Many of us that do actually have need for the full range of throttle. If that rocker provides that, that's a good thing IMO, but I still prefer to have a lever that is easy to grab blindly when needed, rather than feeling for the smaller rocker.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Wouldn't a smooth moving rocker switch that stayed in place be basically the same as having an efi with a throttle lever right now?
Yup. LOL. I guess its the cool factor of fly by wire.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yup. LOL. I guess its the cool factor of fly by wire.
Take a look at my post right above yours. That is why I like the lever vs the rocker. I would think that you would too, no?
Old 08-13-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I think the main purpose is to give it that special standout look of new advanced technology, does nothing different than the old throttle lever, just looks more sporty and low profile.