Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

sounds to me like she waited for you to leave "then Magically she realized you broke her windshield" I call straight Bull Hockey puck on her claim
HT131, FS80 (4), FS85 (3), FS90R (2), FS110R (3), FS130R (2), FS250 one bike, one loop, FS550 ("aka the Beast"), HL110k (2), FC110 (2), BR420 mag (3), BR600 Mag blowers (3) , 192T (2), 200T (1), MS290, MS261 (2), 660 a beast
880 more saw than anyone in Florida prob needs
Dolmar 7900
Old 08-14-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I see you are in the south where it gets very hot. Windshields on newer vehicles are becoming weaker and weaker. This is being designed in to protect the pedestrian in a collision where they would get tossed into the windshield. As such windshields can now crack more easily from heat buildup within the car on a hot day. Ask the resident if they had their heat/ac control set to vent/fresh air in order to prevent this from happening, or if they are in the habit of shutting the car off in recirculate mode. This may put the ball back in their court.

I advise against turning it into your insurance or even calling them regarding it. I don't know how it works with commercial liability, but doing the same on a homeowners policy has been reported to possibly bring points against you that can add up toward eventual premium increases, whether there is a legitimate claim or not resulting of it. You might ask you agent if this is true before mentioning any incident, if you do decide to pursue your own insurance coverage toward this.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Their is a first for everything...

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 08-14-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

In all honesty, I didn't think that our GL even covered windows, but I found out today it does. Either way, the deductible is $250 so bringing it to the attention of the insurance company is a moot point.

It is an older car whose windshield is surely less than $250 considering the make, model, number of those cars on the road, and age.

Normally I would just assume that we did it and go ahead and fix it. but this just seems so far fetched that I would appreciate if someone is going to try to defraud us that they put at least SOME thought and creativity into it.

I mean, it should be a little harder than just putting down your slurpee long enough to point to your car and say "window."
Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I shattered a side window on one of my vehicles while using a backpack blower but not a windshield. I've also broken side windows with a string trimmer.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Windshields are tough. Side and rear glass will sustain damage more easily.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 08-17-2013, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Earlier this season I broke my own truck window . I'm not sure if it was a Rock from the trimmer or the mower but it was a very rocky property
Old 08-19-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive purchased tons of windows. I've even had a car painted once. Why ? Because the $600.00 paint job was cheaper then possible loosing a $12,000 a year account. No we didn't scratch the POS car but the owner of the apartment complex gave me tons of additional accounts after I handled that situation with yes sir I'm sorry ill have it taken care of. As for windows. We do a 50 acre auto complex that is Audie, Porsche, BMW, Lexus, Land Rover, and Mini Cooper. We hit a brand new windshield with a rock off a string trimmer. Flew about 20 yds. The heat and cooled and atomistic tinting windshield cost $3800.00 dolors. I really don't know if it does all that but better.
As for damage to my trucks. I knocked out 2 back glasses to employees vehicles at my shop. We knocked the back glass out in my tundra from freaking 50 yds away on a job once. And my cultivator had a freak explosion with a rock that shot through my door of my at the time brand new chevy 1 ton.
All this to say crap happens deal with it. My insurance covers $3000.00 in small damage with no deductible or raise
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lawn guys always get blamed ...period
Old 08-19-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You do what you want, it's your decision, I can't tell you what to say or do.
But I can tell you, a backpack blower most likely did not do it.
The only way I can see it is if a small rock or pebble had found its way into the turbofan.
Even then it's unlikely, however if someone sets a blower down they can pick up small rocks through the bottom air intake.
They would have then had to pick the blower up, put it on, aimed the nozzle and given it full throttle.
It is then possible a small rock could shoot through the tubes at some kind of speed that might be enough, but I didn't have the chance to test it, what I can tell you is a BR600 lacks the POWER to pick up rocks off the ground much higher than a few inches, much less hurl them at a distance and with speed sufficient to break or even crack a windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44DCNF View Post
I see you are in the south where it gets very hot. Windshields on newer vehicles are becoming weaker and weaker. This is being designed in to protect the pedestrian in a collision where they would get tossed into the windshield. As such windshields can now crack more easily from heat buildup within the car on a hot day. Ask the resident if they had their heat/ac control set to vent/fresh air in order to prevent this from happening, or if they are in the habit of shutting the car off in recirculate mode. This may put the ball back in their court.
And what good is that going to do?

Last edited by herler; 08-19-2013 at 10:35 PM.