Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2013, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44DCNF View Post
I see you are in the south where it gets very hot. Windshields on newer vehicles are becoming weaker and weaker. This is being designed in to protect the pedestrian in a collision where they would get tossed into the windshield. As such windshields can now crack more easily from heat buildup within the car on a hot day. Ask the resident if they had their heat/ac control set to vent/fresh air in order to prevent this from happening, or if they are in the habit of shutting the car off in recirculate mode. This may put the ball back in their court.
Link please.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 08-20-2013, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yea. i'm skeptical too as i'v never seen it, and i use my ac on full blast in michigan heat.

as far as the original post goes, i was gonna say maybe the mower blew a rock. but i think it was mentioned you blow away from thigns with wheels.

i got an interesting call from someone the other day. their car was lightly sideswiped by a trailer a few days ago. her claim is i put a note on one of MY business cards for her to call me so i can give my insurance info

O.o
Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Windshields on newer vehicles are becoming weaker and weaker. This is being designed in to protect the pedestrian in a collision where they would get tossed into the windshield.
That bit of information probably came from the guy who replaced a windshield with cheap Chinese aftermarket glass. It was what the glass guy told him a month later when it cracked again.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenConcepts View Post
A BLOWER?! We we driving away from a complex today and were about nineteen seconds off the property when I got the phone call. Some lady is claiming my guys were blowing around her car and blew a rock onto her car and cracked her windshield.

I have asked a long time lawn veteran and he basically laughed when I told him about it. Yes, we use 802's and an 854 that blow pretty hard, but come on. The velocity of the air drops so much so fast that I just can not imagine a scenario where it could be possible.

So I figured I'd ask the world. Well?
One time I broke a windshield with my finger.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

gotta tone down the anger man.

:P
Old 08-22-2013, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
gotta tone down the anger man.

:P
Bahaha bird you nailed it
Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenConcepts View Post
In all honesty, I didn't think that our GL even covered windows, but I found out today it does. Either way, the deductible is $250 so bringing it to the attention of the insurance company is a moot point.
The deductible only applies when you are making a claim against your own insurance. They pay 100% when it is someone else making a claim. I accidentally just bumped a parked car with my trailer. The repairs to the car came to just under $500. My insurance paid it without batting an eye. No premium increase either.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The deductible only applies when you are making a claim against your own insurance. They pay 100% when it is someone else making a claim. I accidentally just bumped a parked car with my trailer. The repairs to the car came to just under $500. My insurance paid it without batting an eye. No premium increase either.
Must vary from state to state. My liability coverage has a $500 deductible, which covers any damage we cause. Whether we are claiming or someone else is making a claim against us.

I seldom claim anything until it comes to at least $1,000.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 08-25-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Must vary from state to state. My liability coverage has a $500 deductible, which covers any damage we cause. Whether we are claiming or someone else is making a claim against us.

I seldom claim anything until it comes to at least $1,000.
You are probably correct that it varies from state to state because I know the deductible on my policy must be paid before they pay out. The obvious reason is to prevent frivolous nonsense like this.

I am not trying to sound like a jerk, but you guys telling me that I should weigh paying it vs. losing a contract should rest easy with the knowledge that this is not our first rodeo.

I just thought that the claim by this person was so absurd I had to share it with others. We know how to look at a crack and determine it's relative age and it had been there a while. it was quite dirty and the whole thing was pretty much as it seemed.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It seems to be unlikely that a blower did it, but it could easily have been a trimmer or mower. The customer would not have noticed until they went to use the car. They don't know what hit it, but it was probably something from a mower or trimmer, and they are just assuming a blower.

I/we have broken 2 glass storm doors (mower, trimmer), my own truck side window (trimmer), and a customer side window (trimmer).

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax