Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Whose thinking fall 2013?

So how many of you are thinking ahead the next couple months? The big rush and money making season. Seems this summer went by really fast in my opinion! Grass is still green and still growing which is good for August.
Scag VRIDE
Scag Rider
Stihl BR600's
Stihl wackers/hedge trimmers
Little Wonder Vac/Walk behind blower
Old 08-14-2013, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonsground View Post
So how many of you are thinking ahead the next couple months? The big rush and money making season. Seems this summer went by really fast in my opinion! Grass is still green and still growing which is good for August.
I for one am, still not sure exactly how I'm going to get my mower to my fall clean ups with my dump trailer. I know on the way there I can put the mower in the trailer. but if its full on the way back, not sure where its gonna fit. I don't really see a solution except for another truck or making a trip back to the property to get the mower, which is far cheaper then adding a second truck to put the landscape trailer for 1 mower a walkbehind blower and a few back packs.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Member

You're going to probably need to do double trips to every job that way. Have to remember, whether the vacs on the front or back of the trailer, it still blows leaves everywhere within the box. Any reason you haven't invested in an insert for mowing and this type of situation?
Scag VRIDE
Scag Rider
Stihl BR600's
Old 08-14-2013, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
I for one am, still not sure exactly how I'm going to get my mower to my fall clean ups with my dump trailer. I know on the way there I can put the mower in the trailer. but if its full on the way back, not sure where its gonna fit. I don't really see a solution except for another truck or making a trip back to the property to get the mower, which is far cheaper then adding a second truck to put the landscape trailer for 1 mower a walkbehind blower and a few back packs.
Why don't you use your dads cabover dump for clean ups and just pull the landscape trailer with that?
Old 08-14-2013, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking its getting close to hunting season. Time to load the freezer! Get in a little more fishing time as well.

Glad I don't have to deal with the leaves as much as some on this forum. I pretty much can mulch everything with the mowers.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't even want to think about it.... we haven't really had a summer. High today of 72 when it should be in the upper 80's or 90's by this time of the year. But I'm not complaining, this is the wettest summer I can ever remember and we've yet to have to skip a single property this year because of drought.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
You're going to probably need to do double trips to every job that way. Have to remember, whether the vacs on the front or back of the trailer, it still blows leaves everywhere within the box. Any reason you haven't invested in an insert for mowing and this type of situation?
yah I know, I'm actually undecided whether or not i'm even gonna use the leaf vac this year. I didn't last year, and with the bagger on the mower clean ups went pretty quick, but filling my pick up with ground up leaves wasn't bad it would hold a lot with no sides even, but unloading them was a pita, now with the dump trailer I was thinking i'll just empty the bags into the dump trailer then keep mowing, and doing the fall clean up, a dump insert with sides or a box even would solve this issue, I guess. maybe i'll look into getting one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
Why don't you use your dads cabover dump for clean ups and just pull the landscape trailer with that?
He actually just put it up for sale and figured he could use my dump trailer if he does find a buyer for it, his summer has been too slow for him and that truck has been sitting a lot. but if its still around when fall comes that will be an option, but I would have to work around his schedule then and I know he does have work lined up for september and october. several pools that have to be filled in.

another thing if I'm just using the bagger on the mower for the clean up, then dumping the bags into his dump truck is pretty high up, vs. my dump trailer is just under 2' off the ground so its easier to load by a lot. plus he wants a 100 dollars from me everytime I take his dump truck plus fuel. which I guess isn't unreasonable but it does take away from my profits more so then If i had to make a return trip to get my mower I think. we'll see. I don't have any huge yards that I have to haul away the leaves from but with gator blades on my mower still from last fall, they really dice up the leaves a lot better then stock blades. so i think there will be enough room to do 2 or 3 jobs and still squeeze the mower in the back. I might even measure the mower with the bagger on then put on the wooden sides i put on it, so 4x8 can go in and I can really load the leaves to the top on the trailer without them spilling onto the mower and possibly causing a fire, or making any mess. then to dump the 4x8 would slide up and of course the mower would just come out for a second, especially if I'm working solo in the fall still, which I think I can handle the work load for this season. 2 or 3 clean ups a day should be very doable and produce good revenue too.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
yah I know, I'm actually undecided whether or not i'm even gonna use the leaf vac this year. I didn't last year, and with the bagger on the mower clean ups went pretty quick, but filling my pick up with ground up leaves wasn't bad it would hold a lot with no sides even, but unloading them was a pita, now with the dump trailer I was thinking i'll just empty the bags into the dump trailer then keep mowing, and doing the fall clean up, a dump insert with sides or a box even would solve this issue, I guess. maybe i'll look into getting one of those.

He actually just put it up for sale and figured he could use my dump trailer if he does find a buyer for it, his summer has been too slow for him and that truck has been sitting a lot. but if its still around when fall comes that will be an option, but I would have to work around his schedule then and I know he does have work lined up for september and october. several pools that have to be filled in.

another thing if I'm just using the bagger on the mower for the clean up, then dumping the bags into his dump truck is pretty high up, vs. my dump trailer is just under 2' off the ground so its easier to load by a lot. plus he wants a 100 dollars from me everytime I take his dump truck plus fuel. which I guess isn't unreasonable but it does take away from my profits more so then If i had to make a return trip to get my mower I think. we'll see. I don't have any huge yards that I have to haul away the leaves from but with gator blades on my mower still from last fall, they really dice up the leaves a lot better then stock blades. so i think there will be enough room to do 2 or 3 jobs and still squeeze the mower in the back. I might even measure the mower with the bagger on then put on the wooden sides i put on it, so 4x8 can go in and I can really load the leaves to the top on the trailer without them spilling onto the mower and possibly causing a fire, or making any mess. then to dump the 4x8 would slide up and of course the mower would just come out for a second, especially if I'm working solo in the fall still, which I think I can handle the work load for this season. 2 or 3 clean ups a day should be very doable and produce good revenue too.
Yea if you aren't using the leaf loader it isn't worth it. I'd love to have that dump but you are too far away. I've been looking for a deal for about a year now with no luck.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=RSK Property Maintenance;4838201]yah I know, I'm actually undecided whether or not i'm even gonna use the leaf vac this year. I didn't last year, and with the bagger on the mower clean ups went pretty quick, but filling my pick up with ground up leaves wasn't bad it would hold a lot with no sides even, but unloading them was a pita, now with the dump trailer I was thinking i'll just empty the bags into the dump trailer then keep mowing, and doing the fall clean up, a dump insert with sides or a box even would solve this issue, I guess. maybe i'll look into getting one of those.

You must have some small accounts. I've got some places where I fill my box more than once at one house! I dump at a minimum of twice a day during the fall and sometimes more when I'm only sucking piles up for my buddies. Id never be able to just mow and suck up leaves. It doeskin lift everything even with high lifts and I would not be able to stand dumping every few minutes! I'm sure you don't have nearly the amount of pine trees in CT as we do in NH, but no mower will suck of 90% of pine needles. I did however find out last year when I am able to mow those certain lawns with no blowing, but the leaves are frozen to the lawn, the dethatcher just barely scraping the grass works excellent and grabs everything!
Scag VRIDE
Scag Rider
Stihl BR600's
Old 08-15-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
You must have some small accounts. I've got some places where I fill my box more than once at one house! I dump at a minimum of twice a day during the fall and sometimes more when I'm only sucking piles up for my buddies. Id never be able to just mow and suck up leaves. It doeskin lift everything even with high lifts and I would not be able to stand dumping every few minutes! I'm sure you don't have nearly the amount of pine trees in CT as we do in NH, but no mower will suck of 90% of pine needles. I did however find out last year when I am able to mow those certain lawns with no blowing, but the leaves are frozen to the lawn, the dethatcher just barely scraping the grass works excellent and grabs everything!
some of my accounts have lots of pines, some don't have any. most of my accounts are on the smaller side, and not all of them require me to haul the leaves away. another thing, I put the bagger on when the when the leaves first start to drop and the grass is slowing down, so each time I cut the lawn its being bagged, instead of waiting until everything is down to do a clean up. I'm usually doing my clean ups that way too, they are frozen in the morning. I've found the br600 and little wonder do a good job moving frozen leaves. I can cut most of my lawns with the bagger on there, and only dump once or twice, a few I have to dump 3 times, but 2 will get most lawns done in the fall. I've like to bag all year, but the mower would be too heavy for the april-june it would get stuck a lot.