Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Online Marketing Company Reviews

It's hard to find reputable online marketing companies. Everyone wants to promise you the world that they have a way to put you on the top of Google searches. I'd like to hear from anyone who actually has seen results from companies they have dealt with.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 08-17-2013, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
It's hard to find reputable online marketing companies. Everyone wants to promise you the world that they have a way to put you on the top of Google searches. I'd like to hear from anyone who actually has seen results from companies they have dealt with.
I do all my stunts, so no help there.

However, any company that is cold calling or mass emailing is probably not any good. Use Google to find someone in your area. If they can't get themselves to page 1, do you really want to hire them? Then follow them on social media for a while, read their blog, until you feel comfortable with them. That's what I would do...

Unless I had $300/hr to blow. Then I would just hire David Mihm.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
I do all my stunts, so no help there.

However, any company that is cold calling or mass emailing is probably not any good. Use Google to find someone in your area. If they can't get themselves to page 1, do you really want to hire them? Then follow them on social media for a while, read their blog, until you feel comfortable with them. That's what I would do...

Unless I had $300/hr to blow. Then I would just hire David Mihm.
I concur with headz on most if not all of his statement. You can do it yourself if you are willing to put the time in on SEO. All you really need to start is here on LS if you go through some of the old post and recent ones. Start there that is what I did.

If you are not using Google Plus I advise that you do so and the reason I suggest it is most likely not why you think. You see Plus while still not as popular as FB for example, has much higher quality content providers IMHO. There are groups (hundreds of them) which you can put in your circles and follow which are all about SEO. To me Plus has become what I thought FB would be without all the MEMS and pictures of everyones meals etc.

A little hard work goes a long way.....I simply paid someone to create my site and start the SEO....I studied here and read past post and thoughts provided within them, went to google plus read lots of SEO post and still do in my "free time" and essentially made this my hobby. Has it paid off? I currently pull organically on Google first page for just about every key word or phrase that applies to what I actually do. When all this people call and ask for business I ask them what can they do for me that I have not already did for myself....they promise the first page of google organically etc right...that is generally there big selling point....and that is where you shut most of them down by already informing them that you are already there....so how else can they help in a way that you can not.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
It's hard to find reputable online marketing companies.
It is infinitely more difficult than it should be, which is a terrible indictment on some of the people attracted to the industry, and why you see some companies moving away from the term "SEO". From personal experience, I will say that this is one industry where solid referrals are extremely valuable. Unless you specifically know of work a firm/soloist has done, cold-contacting them via their website usually doesn't work out for the best. Even then, it can be tough. The vast majority of people on here who have recommended "their guy" usually leads to me quickly, and unhappily, breaking down the effort quality quite quickly. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is. It's a dangerous mix when you take the very low budgets that many here have, and couple it with the volume of shady people. A $99 "Gold Plan" is not what you're looking for.

If you don't know of any, I'd recommend looking at similar, locally-targeted service businesses, who rank well, and see if they could be of help referring you. I would caution against taking on a consultant who also works with other LCOs in your competitive region. Whenever this topic comes up on here, I say the same thing...You can't have one football coach running both teams. And, ethically, the SEO shouldn't even entertain the idea. If they have no problem with it? Run.

Quote:
Everyone wants to promise you the world that they have a way to put you on the top of Google searches..
And that's when you hang up the phone or end the email contacts. Even if the majority of their client properties are ranked in the top 3, that's a promise that should still never be made.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with the above posters. I would really take a look at if you can do it yourself. It is possible and once you do it you will really realize how much $ you saved.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A great way to get found is by starting a blog. Be sure to mention the locations you service in the content whenever possible. Title your articles with common search terms when possible, use the title in content if possible as well. It takes time but I have gotten traffic to my main website from my blog. My blog doesn't have a monthly service fee either.

Take some photos of your work that's related to the content in your article. Name your photos with a related key words. Your photos will show in the images whenever that keyword is searched. Update your blog regular and it will begin to get indexed quicker and quicker.

I have tried a few paid SEO in the past, none were very productive.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
A great way to get found is by starting a blog. Be sure to mention the locations you service in the content whenever possible. Title your articles with common search terms when possible, use the title in content if possible as well. It takes time but I have gotten traffic to my main website from my blog. My blog doesn't have a monthly service fee either.

Take some photos of your work that's related to the content in your article. Name your photos with a related key words. Your photos will show in the images whenever that keyword is searched. Update your blog regular and it will begin to get indexed quicker and quicker.

I have tried a few paid SEO in the past, none were very productive.
I have seen people who have a blog as part of their website. Are you saying you blog is separate from your site? I would be interested to see a link to your blog to see how it is setup.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 08-18-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You want the blog on your site.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
You want the blog on your site.
I just sent web.com who hosts my site an email about adding a blog and making it more mobile friendly as well. I was told last week my streaming banner and dark green background are negatives.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I have seen people who have a blog as part of their website. Are you saying you blog is separate from your site? I would be interested to see a link to your blog to see how it is setup.
My blog http://sprinklerbuddy.com/blog/

It is linked to my website but one has to make an effort to get from one to the other by clicking a link.

What I really like about my blog is from time to time, I'll even get others contacting me wanting to do a guest post. I get free fresh content, they get a back link. I do require that a guest post be lawn and garden related some how.

I had a guy help me set it all up and now I manage the blog myself. It's not huge but it's growing. I have never regretted the decision to start a blog.

I can search certain keywords which will bring up articles or images that are on my blog but I wont see my main website anywhere. Those that visit my blog though will certainly see what my main site is about and can click my link to learn more if they wish.

My blog is a never ending work in progress but I can add to it at my own pace.
Closed Thread