Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2014, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

a slight boo boo with the zspray

There should be a picture attached. I can only assume i leaked fuel.. as you can see in the picture there is a drip mark from the curb where i started. there is another one at the end of my pass where i turned, and one other one 3rd pass middle where i slid a bit.. those other drip marks are already mowed away and not able to be seen. I was pretty excited that day, or i should say nervous.. because it was the first time on a hilly yard, and first time spraying specticle / msm out the zspray. I am starting to think i may have got some gas spilled out of the tank, and it may have rolled off as i got started on that first area of the lawn.

I went back to every yard i sprayed that day and this side of my one customers lawn is the only one that got the little drip marks in 3 places. The other side of the driveway where i treated had none of these marks. I'm 99.9 percent sure i made those marks with the zspray just by where they are. Is there anything else i should be checking? I do notice that the tips don't shut off all the way quickly ( they drip a little bit as they shut off.. which i didn't think was normal) trying to figure that out, but not so sure that was it. I am spraying specticle at 4oz per acre, and msm at .3 oz per acre. I figured if it was from the spray it would be a wider area. Its been sitting in the garage all week, and nothing leaking that i can see.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2014, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The nozzle bodies have 5psi check valve strainers, sometimes they get clogged and don't check the flow. On hills work uphill as much as possible, like a Z turn mower you have very little control when the front is pointed downhill. When it is sitting in the garage and you are looking for leaks are the tanks full?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, i defeinetly work from bottom to top, turning upwards toward hills. i figured that out pretty quick.. lol. turning downwards i see how much potential there is to slide..

well, the tank was half full. I'm pretty sure it was just gas leaking. but the drip line /kill spot would look to be comming from left side.. so i assume gas rolled over that way some how. I'm just not so sure how such a low rate of MSM could have done that on one yard, and not all the others. I filled up with fuel when i backed out of the trailer.. I was just kinda nervous about trying out the zspray on this particular lawn because it is a steep side hill, so thinking i may have just been careless because of that reason. lol.. the yellow line is more prominent where i started, and by third pass it was faint.. so i guess it took 3 passes for some of the gas to roll off. thats my little theory.

My first pass on that hill i didn't have the caster lock system in place, and i slid all the way back over to where i started, nozzles still going.. second attempt i locked the casters and it was smooth sailing. there was a drip line where i slid as well.. that was where the last faint line was.

I'm afraid to use this thing tho. sure, i can get away with that mistake on this one yard.. but on others.. i'll be losing customers.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've done worse, one time I was carrying the extra 7 gallon tank with gly and the fitting broke. It was pretty bad but I told the customer up front and he was OK, maybe because I had turned his yard around to a large degree. You got the Intermediate right? One more tip, you may want to spray at 1 gallon per K vs 1/3. This will allow more cushion for speed changes & etc.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well, i was wrong. I had checked the machine last night when i got in, garage was dark so didn't notice anything. this a.m. I noticed under the left wheel motor there was oil. I'm pretty certain that is the issue. thankfully i didn't make oil spots on a bunch of lawns just the one. and i have two spots on my own lawn, looks like from oil drips.. where i stopped to enter gate on each side of my house when i did my lawn last week.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a good one...

Had this happen last summer, technician found out the hard way there was a drainage problem.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the phone call today WestGA We have all had one thing or another happen
Attached Images

Training them early
Old 09-04-2014, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

oh man. those are some good ones. hopefully i don't get in those situations..

Still can't figure out why there was oil all over the inside tire wall and wheel motor on left side. thats what caused my little marks on the one yard. I got the wheel off, tightened up the hoses.. which appeared tight. Wiped everything down.. Hydro oil in res was where it needed to be so haven't lost alot of oil. I ran it a bit in my yard, then went out for the day and kept an eye on it. No oil leak.. so not sure where the hell the oil came from, look like it sprayed up onto the frame above the wheel as well. used it all day no leaky. wierd!
Old 09-06-2014, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one that has had sprayer issues
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2014, 05:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I guess i am not alone!

2003 ford F 150
1- 14' OPEN TRAILER sold
1- 16' open trailer
BILLMASTER SOFTWARE FOR MY LAWN CARE.
http://www.customizedbusinesssoftware.com
QUICK BOOKS FOR ACCOUNTING
1- Z SPRAY Intermediate
1- Z SPRAY MAX
2-Z PLUGGER
1-Lesco Renovator
1- CLASSEN SPLIT REEL CORE AERATOR
1- 150 GAL NURSE TANK WITH A 20 GPM TIGER PUMP.