Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

puppy- I have talked to home owners personally many times who expressed their interest in having the striped look to their lawn. It was not me bringing it up, but they. You are correct that some HO's don't care, but believe me, as a guy who deals with them for my living, they are well aware of what looks great and what doesn't, and what they want or expect/demand. Far more than it appears that you believe.

Yes, the line you highlighted was made by LCO's here, but it was in response to the statement that you had made previously "I've actually heard it said by a number of LCO's that their customers did not want to see, what they called "streaks" in their yard.".

Just as some LCO's have said they have been told that by their customers, there are far more who have been told they want the striped look, or asked why they don't have it by their customers after seeing it on their neighbors yards, or other lawns in the area. Again, you don't live in an area where it is as commonplace as it is up farther north, so until you've actually experienced the comments firsthand, it may be hard for you to believe that there are that many HO's that care enough about their lawns to ask or comment on the striped look. I have gained customers based solely on the fact that they had been watching me take care of a neighboring lawn for a couple years and were always impressed by how much effort I went to in making that lawn look good by striping it differently every cut vs the previous guy just cutting it the way that made him be in and out the fastest. Trust me when I tell you, most HO's who care about anything to do with any of their possessions be it a car, furniture, etc., care about their lawn as well.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Like I said, and you brought it out perfectly with the above statement, it boils down to how the LCO would like it to look moreso than the property owner. The person you brought out making the statement, "they wish they could lay stripes down like we do up here." That is a lawn maintenance person making this statement, not a property owner, the stripes just seem to look better to the person making them, but are not being requested from the property owner as a matter of retaining job security. Believe it or not, there are stripes to be found in the south, not that most care, but they can be seen at times.

The athletic fields look great in our area, some with stripes, some without, but the people watching the games could care less.
These are not the types of accounts/customers a commercial cutter would be looking for. The type of people you speak of are out their but are usually looking for the lowest price. I cant count over the last 18+ years of cutting commercially how many estimates I have done and the customers says they want their lawn to look like a baseball field or golf corse. They may not call them "stripes" but they sure as heck expect it for what we charge.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It may very well be different for many LCO's down where you are puppy, but I have had potential/future customers actually complain about having their lawn half light/half dark from the previous guy mowing in a circular pattern, and say they will only hire me or anyone else if we make the lawn look correct with the back and forth look, which we here all call being striped.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I find it very hard to believe a customer down south would accept wavy tire marks all over their property. You may not see the stripes well but I can certainly see the tire pattern on puppy's cut quality pics and it would not fly with my customers.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

puppy-

this is on a different note, but actually has to do with the SZ- have you ever thought of running the AT 101's like Mick uses due to all the slippery wet places that you have been cutting this year since you cut at those high speeds, and traction in starting and stopping is important, especially near water or waterways that are potentially slippery? Many believe that a lug type tread will ruin a lawn, but it isn't necessarily so. I have used them for years on lawns with heavy duty garden tractors with no problem and actually less tire marks since they grip instead of slip when the ground is soft and/or wet. Maybe you don't have enough hills to make the switch worth while to you, but you sure do have the wet conditions this year in particular.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
puppy-

this is on a different note, but actually has to do with the SZ- have you ever thought of running the AT 101's like Mick uses due to all the slippery wet places that you have been cutting this year since you cut at those high speeds, and traction in starting and stopping is important, especially near water or waterways that are potentially slippery? Many believe that a lug type tread will ruin a lawn, but it isn't necessarily so. I have used them for years on lawns with heavy duty garden tractors with no problem and actually less tire marks since they grip instead of slip when the ground is soft and/or wet. Maybe you don't have enough hills to make the switch worth while to you, but you sure do have the wet conditions this year in particular.
I have no need of lug tires, we've not had weather of this type since 1938, so this is not something I expect to deal with again.

The stripes are merely a difference in the type grasses in various areas of the country. The northern grasses are of a thin, limp blade nature that lays more flat for a longer period of time once pushed over, you push it over in one direction when cutting with one pass, then push it over in the opposite direction with the next pass, and the way light reflects is what gives that so-called stripe look. The limp blade northern grasses have a more pronounced look for a longer period of time due to the fact it takes the blades longer to move back into that straight-up erect position.

The southern grasses are of a stiffer nature, meaning once pushed over they stand-up in their erect position much more quickly. With that being said, we have areas where people have smaller lawns they irrigate. These lawns are planted in hybrid fescue grasses that have the more narrow, and somewhat limp blades as seen in northern grasses, there will also be a blend of bluegrass added into the mixture.

These lawns are maintained at a higher level which also keeps them weed-free. They will stripe equally as well as your northern grasses, but this is a very small percentage compared to the non-irrigated lawns that have the stronger, stiff blade fescue grasses grown for survival in the hot, dryer conditions we normally have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I find it very hard to believe a customer down south would accept wavy tire marks all over their property. You may not see the stripes well but I can certainly see the tire pattern on puppy's cut quality pics and it would not fly with my customers.
People this year are accepting many things that are out of the norm due to excessively wet weather. Mowing the smaller areas you mow, there is no need to have a large mower, the lighter, the better. This is the reason different mowing situations have needs of various mowers.

Think about it in this manner, you have the more manicured, postage stamp size lawns that many deal with, you then have the medium, to medium large well kept areas that can fall under a commercial property heading. There will then be the larger commercial properties that cover many acres but aren't nearly as well kept. You have a need for different mowers in these cutting situations to be most productive and satisfying to all customers serviced.

I don't get paid to cut grass, it cost me a great deal of money to maintain my property. I have need of a mower that will cut the most grass in the shortest period of time, and leave what I consider to be a very good cut.

I had to travel about 15 miles this morning to check one of these postage stamp lawns I am helping a friend destroy and reseed. The first application of glyphosate and surfactant has been applied at a rate of 4 oz. per gallon. There is a great deal of wild Bermuda that has infested her fescue, and she does not want a Bermuda lawn. Anyway, I looked at every lawn on the way to visit while traveling in one direction, and again looked at the different lawns while traveling back on a different route. I saw one lawn that appeared to have faint stripes, all the others looked like nothing but a normally cut lawn for our area, and I saw many cutting as I passed, both homeowners, and LCO's. I did notice a large number of lawns that were covered in heavy clippings, I actually started to stop an take a picture of one, it looked much worse than any of the clumping pictures you or Mick have ever posted.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Puppy have you ever tried stripes before? I know bermuda does stripe all be it less than fescue or bluegrass but it does stripe. I have a couple lawns that have been getting invaded with that stringy **** over the last few years after planting small tree's (bermuda in the root ball of the tree) that apparently came from down south and the bermuda is slowly taking over areas of the lawn.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-16-2013, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Puppy have you ever tried stripes before? I know bermuda does stripe all be it less than fescue or bluegrass but it does stripe. I have a couple lawns that have been getting invaded with that stringy **** over the last few years after planting small tree's (bermuda in the root ball of the tree) that apparently came from down south and the bermuda is slowly taking over areas of the lawn.
If you don't want Bermuda to take over, you best talk with your property owners and spray it with glyphosate before it gets to bad. The longer you wait, the worse it will get, you can start out only needing to kill a small spot, and before you know it the small area has turned into a large area. You need to apply a high rate of glyphosate, wait about 4 weeks and spray it again if any green shows up from rhizome growth.

My farm is beautiful, green grass growing everywhere, everything edged with glyphosate so grass is not in areas I don't want grass to be. My corn field lines on the 70 acres of corn around my house are sprayed with an offset nozzle turned around backwards so as to keep grass from growing against the corn where I am unable to mow.

I have a lot to maintain, and stripes do not interest me in the least, keeping the grass mowed and looking good is my only interest. I will show you some real stripes one day, and that is when I plant soybeans through standing wheat stubble with a 30' air drill, these are some really outstanding stripes.