Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Where do you put it?

Just curious what others do with there waste. Grass clippings are easy, but what do you do when a cleanup fills your landscape trailers? I have been shredding and composting but have run out of room. I resorted to burning shrubs and tree limbs but that is not fast enough. Also I can not get enough dumpsters to keep up at this point . The dumps are few and far between and very expensive here.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you put it?

I take all my brush and limbs under 6' long to the waste management place and they take it for free as long as you say it is from your residency. Having advertisement on your truck will throw up a red flag

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by action1 View Post
Just curious what others do with there waste. Grass clippings are easy, but what do you do when a cleanup fills your landscape trailers? I have been shredding and composting but have run out of room. I resorted to burning shrubs and tree limbs but that is not fast enough. Also I can not get enough dumpsters to keep up at this point . The dumps are few and far between and very expensive here.
Interesting that dumpsites is far and few.
What does the metro do with waste storm materials? Where does anyone take green waste?

My mowers is set up to mulch........this has reduced my haul off by 60%.
The majority of my accounts has back ways of trees,etc. where i can dump on site.

What does Houston do with all the debris?
Old 08-14-2013, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Interesting that dumpsites is far and few.
What does the metro do with waste storm materials? Where does anyone take green waste?

My mowers is set up to mulch........this has reduced my haul off by 60%.
The majority of my accounts has back ways of trees,etc. where i can dump on site.

What does Houston do with all the debris?
Monday and Tuesday I called every number I could find for landfills . About 15 numbers called and only 1 answered the phone . I think it was a waste Managment location . I was quoted a price of $49 plus tax per yard of materials. Also told they would have to see load. Load is at least 5 yards.
If you are a resident in city of Houston and no advertising on truck it is free at their locations . I don't qualify on both accounts.

One of my employees told me his old boss would take the gate off their trailer then go down a country road at 90 till it all fell out. Not an option for me.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You mean there is no recycling centers where this material is ground down, chipped or composted?
at around 52.00 a yd. for disposal, that is criminal.
We are charged 50.00 a ton........with a minimum charge of 8.00 up to 300 lbs. License is required to be a class 5 hauler. Residential citizens is free. Restrictions apply to commercial haulers. We have a county landfill that collects no green waste.........they are for other debris removals at 85.00 a ton.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Whatever I can't dispose of myself I take to the areas compost facility. It's where the city dumps all the yard waste from local pickup, along with anyone willing to pay a minimal fee. Price is $10 for first 400 pounds and $0.025 cents per pound after that. They have a couple front end loaders and a tub grinder on site and composts everything. Awesome place. Really surprised your area doesn't have a facility like that.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I have quite a few friends in the business that would let me dump on their site.

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Starting 2014 - Solo Operation!
Old 08-30-2013, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Member

We take all of our stuff to our local landscape supply, They have a full production site where they use it to make soil blends or chip up the brush and sell it as brush chips. We pay $8.50/yard
2001 Bobcat 48 Inch Hydro Walkbehind
2010 Toro 2450 Snowblower
2013 Redmax BCZ2460TS String Trimmer
2014 Redmaz HEZ2450S Edger
2011 Haul-It 7x16 Landscape Trailer
2012 Toro Push Mower
Old 09-14-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a local mulch supplier who takes everything from yard waste to trees for free. He makes compost and mulch out of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

What really irritates me is the fact that even as a city resident, I have to pay to dump limbs at local recycling center that they turn into mulch and compost. I would then have to pay them for said mulch or compost if I wanted some. That means I get charged on both ends. But if I set the same limbs on the curb, the city picks it up for free. What's up with that?
Sorry for the rant.