Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Residential mowing prices

Been doing this for 5 years now and been cutting residential yards on average for $30 (Standard Platt yard). Just curious where others are in pricing and how you figure it? Am I too cheap or right where I need to be? Thanks
Old 08-15-2013, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What is a standard yard size to you ?
Old 08-15-2013, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Member

We started a few months ago with the idea that $30 would be our minimum charge for a small subdivision yard, but we have recently decided to make $40 our minimum. We have only not gotten the account on one quote so far so we figured we were pricing too low.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Average yard size is between 3000 and 15000 sq.ft (.25 acre lots). It seems like its really spotty, some areas can get 40 some complain at 30.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I gave a quote on Monday for two yards that are side by side (a daughter and mother). I figured this would take me two hours due to the bigger size of the yard, the amount of edging (corner lot), and amount of trimming around flower beds. Normally I would have quoted $120 for both yards together, but since it is in my subdivision and two yards next to each other I quoted $105 for the pair.

The person they used before me hacked the yard up pretty badly... uneven grass all over the yard... you can follow the uneven grass trails and see exactly the pattern they cut through the whole yard. They edged with a weedeater and left very uneven lines. They scalped the yard in multiple places... it just looked bad. The lady asked if $105 was the best I could do, and I explained to her that I already discounted the price due to the convenience for me and that I couldn't go any lower. She said that worked for her and I got the account.

She told me that the company she had before the hackers did her yard for $45 and her mother's for $40, but they left the business for whatever reason. I gave her the ole "I'm sure if you call around you will find someone cheaper than us, but we will treat your yard as if it were our own and you will be satisfied with our work".

Worked like a charm.... and we will follow through.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pricing in my area is all over the place. I might only get $25 for a super easy to do 1/2 acre and then get $45 to do a standard 1/4 acre job. I've found that a one size fits all approach to pricing just won't work where I'm at. I do feel each customer out and then try to get my best price.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlinger326 View Post
Average yard size is between 3000 and 15000 sq.ft (.25 acre lots). It seems like its really spotty, some areas can get 40 some complain at 30.
35 is 12k and lower is lowest I go I wont unload for anything less unless its right next to a job I have

I know one guy is doing lawns under 20 His work shows it he might only trims 2 times a month and when he does trim its to the dirt
Mows with a high dollar mower at that a Ferris 3100 and this year just bought a New HD hustler seen this yesterday might trade the Ferris in

People charge below the market kills it for others
Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, 30 doesn't go far these days. I can't stay motivated for that. My lowest is 35 and they are due for an increase. My range for neighborhood yards is 40-65.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

$40 or I don't turn the key, but I'm part time and really don't have to have the money to get by.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I only have 10 accounts and the lowest I get is 40 out of all of them. I said my minimum is 35 but that seems low to me now. On average most of my yards take me about an hour or an hour and a half to do solo. I am kinda in the same boat Mono is too. I need the extra sash but I am not gonna low ball for the business.