Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't really have a good reason to comment on your region, but here is my story. I cut for my local guy who has some rental properties and I do the crap mows between renters or when they get out of control. I usually get $50 to $70 for a slightly overgrown 1/2 acre. He has a son living in MD, a DC suburb. He just went to visit and I could tell he wanted to discuss my prices. The son just bought a 2 acre property, with house and pool. The property cost 1.8 million. He says while visiting the lawn crew shows up. Four or five guys hop out of the truck and two mowed, one used a push mower around the pool, the other guy started trimming. They did the cut, trim, edge and blow in 15 minutes, at $40. Wholly crap, how can they pay 4-5 guys and put fuel in the truck and equipment. That area has 2 to three times the wealth we do here, and you guys have to work for minimum wage just to compete. I'd never be in this business trying to compete with that.
Snapper 21"
Toro Dingo 222
ISEKI Diesel Compact Tractor, attachments (bush hog, middle buster plow & land leveler
Steiner all wheel drive Tractor, attachments (stump grinder, rough cut mower, scrape blade & dual wheels)
5X10 open trailer
16' equipment trailer
1997 Ford F-350 7.3 4X4 SRW Crew Cab 8' bed
Old 08-17-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use QB and have the yards in 5 classes. .5hr 1 hr 1.5, 2hr and 3 hr. Put the yards in the closest class and then I can run jobs on what my average is. So even if I have a 10 minute yard it goes in the .5, so this will help compensate for the drive time. I run work sheets and this helps me critique my measurements. So I will say I make more money on the .5 hr lawns than the others as a rule. The difference is the larger lawns have more upsale for tree, shrub trimming or removal.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The mowing game is a funny thing. Guys driving around in 100K setups to mow postage stamps for $30 and the part time lawn service / full time road dept worker gets 2 acres with nothing more than an old 60 ZTR on a 6x10 pulled by a 1500 or mini truck.

I don't care where you are or what the market is, one thing is the same. You are driving to the property 25-30 times or more a season and incurring hundreds of dollars in expenses from machinery to postage stamps and all for what? $800 a year or really about $100 a year profit? Mow and go at bottom feeding prices is insane. Last time I checked it cost us about $30 to pull up to a property, let alone actually take the equipment and use it. The best thing anyone can do in the lawn game is stay on top of their numbers. You may find it is really only sustainable to step up your game.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lowest for me is $40. I'm just now getting the hang of pricing in my area.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

$35 min plus NY sales tax for 1/4 acre or less.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
1.89 acres according to the tax assessments I just looked at . He told me today the previous guy had been doing it for 15 years and had been having a lot of life issues in the last year (brother dieing right now and he is going to have to pay for the funeral etc etc) and he did not want to drop him when he is down but his wife has had enough. It was DEEP today. Absolutely full of crabgrass and he told me it has not been cut in a little over 3 weeks. I cut it at 4 3/4 and took my time. Took me 1hr and 10 minutes. Another 1 to 2 cuts and I will have it down to a normal height and will be able to blast through it in 35 to 40 minutes. He said his neighbor will probably have us start on her lawn soon.

Dude that is crazy. I would get easy 100 probably 125-150.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I just picked this one up the other day. Its a bi weekly. I charge 45 to cut blow weed eat and edge. Next time I got its 65 and I take care of the flower beds. Tiny flower beds. You can barely see them in the pic. I definitely wouldn't be doing this if we had the prices that prostreet has.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Here in the extreme NorthEast corner of Alabama my lowest property is $35 my highest is $100 . I charge 35 an hour. I have 9 properties between 2 people do I cut them a good deal .. In all I have 28 this is my first year doing this full time.. I've always had several yards , but I love this think this is my calling . Lol
Old 08-17-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowing is like antiques. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post
I don't really have a good reason to comment on your region, but here is my story. I cut for my local guy who has some rental properties and I do the crap mows between renters or when they get out of control. I usually get $50 to $70 for a slightly overgrown 1/2 acre. He has a son living in MD, a DC suburb. He just went to visit and I could tell he wanted to discuss my prices. The son just bought a 2 acre property, with house and pool. The property cost 1.8 million. He says while visiting the lawn crew shows up. Four or five guys hop out of the truck and two mowed, one used a push mower around the pool, the other guy started trimming. They did the cut, trim, edge and blow in 15 minutes, at $40. Wholly crap, how can they pay 4-5 guys and put fuel in the truck and equipment. That area has 2 to three times the wealth we do here, and you guys have to work for minimum wage just to compete. I'd never be in this business trying to compete with that.

Amen! Your story backs up what I was saying perfectly! The only way they can do it that cheap is to knock out 30+ lawns a day. I bet they were all hispanic am I right? They tend to live 2 to 3 families in a single house and they all split the rent.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)