Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2013, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Sleeving main lines with tees along the way

Just curious if anybody has anything special that they do when sleeving a main-line pipe with fittings and other lines coming off of it along the way?

I've got about 120ft of main line that I need to install that will eventually be buried underneath a concrete slab. I've got about 4 tees along the way to install with smaller branch lines coming off of that for sprinklers. I was just going to sleeve the main line up until where I need a tee, install the tee and branch line, then butt up the sleeve to the other side of the tee leaving an opening around tee, and repeat that all the way down the line.

It sounds kind of odd to sleeve it in the first place because how am I supposed to pull the main line out in the future if there's a problem without finding a way to cut all if the branch lines, but it's not my call.

Any suggestions, or does that sound like the right way to go about it?
Old 08-15-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is no right way to have pipe connections buried beneath concrete.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The right way to deal with this is to establish uncovered ground that is yours and yours alone to work in. No concrete. No plant cover. There you have your valve boxes, or pipe connections. From those points, will be the sleeves that allow it all to tie together.

To someone in Florida, that method wouldn't make sense, because they work with PVC pipe. In poly pipe territory, the sleeves would include sweep elbows as needed, making it simple to replace tubing as required.

Since poly pipe is likely a foreign substance none of the Florida distributors stock, the tubing of choice would become PEX.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you need to go from one side of the concrete to 4 separate places on the other side of the concrete, you should run 1 sleeve per location. Do not install T-s in the sleeve for branch lines, run a separate sleeve so that when there are problems with the pipe in the future, you can actually replace it. If you do what you're describing, there is no point in sleeving it at all.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bcg had hit the nail on the head

Never thought of that!

Brilliant
Put in an extra sleve for good luck
Old 08-15-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is the point of the sleeve to protect the main from coral or some other abrasive?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim, I use them so that I can run additional pipe, wire or whatever under the driveway in the future if needed. Typically, I'll put in a 4" sleeve to run a 1" mainline, which leaves plenty of room. It also has the added advantage of keeping the weight of the driveway and traffic off the pipe but that isn't really a big deal and not a reason in itself to do it.

My view is that everything is going to fail and/or be expanded at some point in the future so if I have the sleeve in place already, I can easily add pipe, wiring or whatever and when the mainline fails under the driveway/parking lot/whatever, I can just cut it at both ends and pull a new pipe through. I've had to cut holes in parking lots where other contractors didn't use sleeves and it's not only a complete hassle and very expensive but also easily avoided for the cost of some 4" SDR (I don't even use class or sch 40 for sleeves, they just need to be there).

I don't know for sure that his reasoning is the same but I'd bet it is.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT Stream Rotar View Post
Put in an extra sleeve for good luck
forget sleeves - we want to know about ghatpot
Old 08-15-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Jim, I use them so that I can run additional pipe, wire or whatever under the driveway in the future if needed. Typically, I'll put in a 4" sleeve to run a 1" mainline, which leaves plenty of room. It also has the added advantage of keeping the weight of the driveway and traffic off the pipe but that isn't really a big deal and not a reason in itself to do it.

My view is that everything is going to fail and/or be expanded at some point in the future so if I have the sleeve in place already, I can easily add pipe, wiring or whatever and when the mainline fails under the driveway/parking lot/whatever, I can just cut it at both ends and pull a new pipe through. I've had to cut holes in parking lots where other contractors didn't use sleeves and it's not only a complete hassle and very expensive but also easily avoided for the cost of some 4" SDR (I don't even use class or sch 40 for sleeves, they just need to be there).

I don't know for sure that his reasoning is the same but I'd bet it is.
I have worked in the trades for 40 years, put in plenty of sleeves.

The op is being required to install the pipe in what i imagined to be a semi continuous sleeve. I wondered if the reason was pipe protection rather than damage/future events.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2 things......
if cement is going to be poured over lines that may break why in the first place is the t going to be there? Why just run a single main line and branch out at either end?

If you have to t where the pad is, why not use a cement water box at the point of the sleeves. I haven't but have seen aggregate type pads with water meter boxes(it is hard to tell until you are on top of them for wire and ball valves.

just food for thought