Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-15-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Grasshopper not cutting level on a hill

When mowing along a hill the deck will cut lower on the bottom side of the hill. It leaves bad lines in yard. All tires are correct air pressure. Deck is level and a 1/4" of pitch. Running high lift blades mowing at 2 3/4"- 3 1/2". Does it on all heights.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm afraid I have no help to offer you Tahoe, but I will follow your thread closely. You have already seen to the things I would have checked.

I have a very similar problem with my 8 year old Bad Boy, but it has always been this way. In fact I am on the verge of buying a used grasshopper front mount to run it a while to see if they will do any better and see if I like it long term.

Is your grasshopper a mid or front mount?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If it is a front mount, check the plastic bushings located where the deck arms attach to the tractor. They might be getting worn, allowing some slack.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

It is a mid mount. I have been running a front mount for years. This time went with a mid mount because of some issues with front mount and climbing hills. I loved the front mount except for takes up lots of trailer space and will not go forwards up a hill. It has all kinds of reverse traction just not forwards.

I wounded if the springs on each side of mower that allow the deck movement are too loose or too tight?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998tahoe View Post
It is a mid mount. I have been running a front mount for years. This time went with a mid mount because of some issues with front mount and climbing hills. I loved the front mount except for takes up lots of trailer space and will not go forwards up a hill. It has all kinds of reverse traction just not forwards.

I wounded if the springs on each side of mower that allow the deck movement are too loose or too tight?
Ive noticed the same problem with one of my exmark midmounts. The tires over time have weakened sidewalls. I put 20 lbs in each tire and it helped a bunch.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong