Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Scag cheetah???

How does the ride of the cheetah compare to a regular z with a suspension seat? Need a z that can handle rough ground without beating me to death.

Everyone is a product of their choices, not their circumstances.........

I don't normally talk to Obama supporters, but when I do, I usually ask for large fries...............
Old 08-15-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

cheetah mower

It rides nice. But the reason I bought one (will arrive Monday) is it is easier to drive a straight line when going over rough ground. It not as nice a ride as a Cadillac but my employees offered to pay the difference between the cheetah and the tiger cat. My guys work hard and it it makes them less fatigued toward the end of the day it is worth it. I get good equipment for my guys and they work hard. I think the cheetah is worth the money. At least I hope it is.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup, for rough property you will want to demo the Scag Cheetah, Gravely 400 series and Ferris 3100. These will provide you with a superior ride compared to standard Z's with just a suspension seat. Which of these 3 is the best will depend on your conditions and preference.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee b View Post
How does the ride of the cheetah compare to a regular z with a suspension seat? Need a z that can handle rough ground without beating me to death.

Homeowner Here:

Like others here, my property can be "very rough" in some areas of the 3.5 acres. When I went shopping for my perfect ZTR. I wanted a unit that would cut very well at speed (Cut clean on the first pass), and have suspension to allow me comfort.

My first choice was Ferris, but after four weeks of promises by the Ferris dealer to allow me to demo a 3100 on my property, it never happened.

The Gravely dealer and the Scag dealer brought me a demo in the first week.

The Gravely 460 air seat was just a little bit better than the Cheetah suspension platform., but there was a $2,000 difference in price.

They both cut very well at speed. The Cheetah cut a little better

So I went with the Cheetah (and the Scag Suspension seat), and still saved over a thousand dollars. That added suspension seat puts the Cheetah suspension performance way over the top......

I now have ten plus hours and the Cheetah cuts my property in 1.5 hours (compared to 4.25 hours before), and leaves my yard looking "VERY NICE".

Scag Cheetah 61" Kawasaki 31HP

Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBoud View Post
Homeowner Here:

Like others here, my property can be "very rough" in some areas of the 3.5 acres. When I went shopping for my perfect ZTR. I wanted a unit that would cut very well at speed (Cut clean on the first pass), and have suspension to allow me comfort.

My first choice was Ferris, but after four weeks of promises by the Ferris dealer to allow me to demo a 3100 on my property, it never happened.

The Gravely dealer and the Scag dealer brought me a demo in the first week.

The Gravely 460 air seat was just a little bit better than the Cheetah suspension platform., but there was a $2,000 difference in price.

They both cut very well at speed. The Cheetah cut a little better

So I went with the Cheetah (and the Scag Suspension seat), and still saved over a thousand dollars. That added suspension seat puts the Cheetah suspension performance way over the top......

I now have ten plus hours and the Cheetah cuts my property in 1.5 hours (compared to 4.25 hours before), and leaves my yard looking "VERY NICE".

[B][COLOR="Orange"]Scag Cheetah 61" Kawasaki 31HP

That sounds like BS, you can't go that much faster, you tear up the equipment.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodale View Post
It rides nice. But the reason I bought one (will arrive Monday) is it is easier to drive a straight line when going over rough ground. It not as nice a ride as a Cadillac but my employees offered to pay the difference between the cheetah and the tiger cat. My guys work hard and it it makes them less fatigued toward the end of the day it is worth it. I get good equipment for my guys and they work hard. I think the cheetah is worth the money. At least I hope it is.
If your employees are bitchin, then send them packing!

Or.....

Go with a Dixie Chopper, Suspension seat, Velvet Touch Controls, and springer front forks, makes your setup look like child's play.....

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
If your employees are bitchin, then send them packing!

Or.....

Go with a Dixie Chopper, Suspension seat, Velvet Touch Controls, and springer front forks, makes your setup look like child's play.....

This was an ignorant response.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
That sounds like BS, you can't go that much faster, you tear up the equipment.

I'm somewhat disappointed that you find my statement "BS".

BUT, I know what is true, and what "BS" sounds like. Yes, I was somewhat surprised at the time savings.

I reiterate, 1.5 hours cutting what over a 19 year period has taken me four hours and fifteen minutes to cut (4.25 hours)

Scag Cheetah ..... it's all about a great cut and speed...... SON, you need to update....

Old 08-17-2013, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Wilson, how does the cheetah do on Bahia grass?

Everyone is a product of their choices, not their circumstances.........

I don't normally talk to Obama supporters, but when I do, I usually ask for large fries...............
Old 08-17-2013, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee b View Post
Wilson, how does the cheetah do on Bahia grass?
Hi Lee, Sorry, I'm not well versed about grass, other that St Augustine. That I have in most of my front yard. The very large back yard is a collection of all kinds of grass. Isn't Bahia a type of Hay......?

Because my yard is very rough, and stays wet for several days after a serious rain, I have seen times when delayed cutting left the grass very thick and tall (I do not cut in the wet...period). With the old cutting equipment, cutting through thick and tall was a struggle. The Cheetah 61" 31 kawasaki flies through that stuff with ease.

I have read many comments on this forum that state the great Scag cut is the wide open chute of the Velocity Deck (and it's baffling), and the special Marbain blades keeping their edge.

What ever the magic is......it's working very well for me (no BS). At the end of a cut, I find myself feeling as though I wish I had more yard.