Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-15-2013, 08:44 PM
lee b's Avatar
lee b lee b is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Red State, so don't blame us
Posts: 4,667
Scag cheetah???

How does the ride of the cheetah compare to a regular z with a suspension seat? Need a z that can handle rough ground without beating me to death.
__________________
Liberals credunt panem et circenses

Everyone is a product of their choices, not their circumstances.........

I don't normally talk to Obama supporters, but when I do, I usually ask for large fries...............
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-15-2013, 11:57 PM
biodale biodale is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richland, Washington
Posts: 135
cheetah mower

It rides nice. But the reason I bought one (will arrive Monday) is it is easier to drive a straight line when going over rough ground. It not as nice a ride as a Cadillac but my employees offered to pay the difference between the cheetah and the tiger cat. My guys work hard and it it makes them less fatigued toward the end of the day it is worth it. I get good equipment for my guys and they work hard. I think the cheetah is worth the money. At least I hope it is.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-16-2013, 05:46 AM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Yup, for rough property you will want to demo the Scag Cheetah, Gravely 400 series and Ferris 3100. These will provide you with a superior ride compared to standard Z's with just a suspension seat. Which of these 3 is the best will depend on your conditions and preference.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-16-2013, 10:45 AM
WilsonBoud's Avatar
WilsonBoud WilsonBoud is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee b View Post
How does the ride of the cheetah compare to a regular z with a suspension seat? Need a z that can handle rough ground without beating me to death.

Homeowner Here:

Like others here, my property can be "very rough" in some areas of the 3.5 acres. When I went shopping for my perfect ZTR. I wanted a unit that would cut very well at speed (Cut clean on the first pass), and have suspension to allow me comfort.

My first choice was Ferris, but after four weeks of promises by the Ferris dealer to allow me to demo a 3100 on my property, it never happened.

The Gravely dealer and the Scag dealer brought me a demo in the first week.

The Gravely 460 air seat was just a little bit better than the Cheetah suspension platform., but there was a $2,000 difference in price.

They both cut very well at speed. The Cheetah cut a little better

So I went with the Cheetah (and the Scag Suspension seat), and still saved over a thousand dollars. That added suspension seat puts the Cheetah suspension performance way over the top......

I now have ten plus hours and the Cheetah cuts my property in 1.5 hours (compared to 4.25 hours before), and leaves my yard looking "VERY NICE".

Scag Cheetah 61" Kawasaki 31HP




__________________
Wilson Boudreaux
from Cajun Country


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBoud View Post
Homeowner Here:

Like others here, my property can be "very rough" in some areas of the 3.5 acres. When I went shopping for my perfect ZTR. I wanted a unit that would cut very well at speed (Cut clean on the first pass), and have suspension to allow me comfort.

My first choice was Ferris, but after four weeks of promises by the Ferris dealer to allow me to demo a 3100 on my property, it never happened.

The Gravely dealer and the Scag dealer brought me a demo in the first week.



The Gravely 460 air seat was just a little bit better than the Cheetah suspension platform., but there was a $2,000 difference in price.

They both cut very well at speed. The Cheetah cut a little better

So I went with the Cheetah (and the Scag Suspension seat), and still saved over a thousand dollars. That added suspension seat puts the Cheetah suspension performance way over the top......

I now have ten plus hours and the Cheetah cuts my property in 1.5 hours (compared to 4.25 hours before), and leaves my yard looking "VERY NICE".

[B][COLOR="Orange"]Scag Cheetah 61" Kawasaki 31HP


That sounds like BS, you can't go that much faster, you tear up the equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 PM
White Gardens's Avatar
White Gardens White Gardens is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bloomington IL
Posts: 6,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodale View Post
It rides nice. But the reason I bought one (will arrive Monday) is it is easier to drive a straight line when going over rough ground. It not as nice a ride as a Cadillac but my employees offered to pay the difference between the cheetah and the tiger cat. My guys work hard and it it makes them less fatigued toward the end of the day it is worth it. I get good equipment for my guys and they work hard. I think the cheetah is worth the money. At least I hope it is.
If your employees are bitchin, then send them packing!

Or.....

Go with a Dixie Chopper, Suspension seat, Velvet Touch Controls, and springer front forks, makes your setup look like child's play.....



............
__________________
White Gardens On Facebook.......WG Thread......Greencare For Troops......... mywhitegardens.com(under construction)

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-16-2013, 11:07 PM
CurbAppealKS CurbAppealKS is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wellington, KS
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
If your employees are bitchin, then send them packing!

Or.....

Go with a Dixie Chopper, Suspension seat, Velvet Touch Controls, and springer front forks, makes your setup look like child's play.....



............
This was an ignorant response.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-17-2013, 12:07 AM
WilsonBoud's Avatar
WilsonBoud WilsonBoud is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
That sounds like BS, you can't go that much faster, you tear up the equipment.


I'm somewhat disappointed that you find my statement "BS".

BUT, I know what is true, and what "BS" sounds like. Yes, I was somewhat surprised at the time savings.

I reiterate, 1.5 hours cutting what over a 19 year period has taken me four hours and fifteen minutes to cut (4.25 hours)

Scag Cheetah ..... it's all about a great cut and speed...... SON, you need to update....



__________________
Wilson Boudreaux
from Cajun Country


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-17-2013, 06:23 AM
lee b's Avatar
lee b lee b is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Red State, so don't blame us
Posts: 4,667
Wilson, how does the cheetah do on Bahia grass?
__________________
Liberals credunt panem et circenses

Everyone is a product of their choices, not their circumstances.........

I don't normally talk to Obama supporters, but when I do, I usually ask for large fries...............
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-17-2013, 01:04 PM
WilsonBoud's Avatar
WilsonBoud WilsonBoud is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee b View Post
Wilson, how does the cheetah do on Bahia grass?
Hi Lee, Sorry, I'm not well versed about grass, other that St Augustine. That I have in most of my front yard. The very large back yard is a collection of all kinds of grass. Isn't Bahia a type of Hay......?

Because my yard is very rough, and stays wet for several days after a serious rain, I have seen times when delayed cutting left the grass very thick and tall (I do not cut in the wet...period). With the old cutting equipment, cutting through thick and tall was a struggle. The Cheetah 61" 31 kawasaki flies through that stuff with ease.

I have read many comments on this forum that state the great Scag cut is the wide open chute of the Velocity Deck (and it's baffling), and the special Marbain blades keeping their edge.

What ever the magic is......it's working very well for me (no BS). At the end of a cut, I find myself feeling as though I wish I had more yard.



__________________
Wilson Boudreaux
from Cajun Country


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:59 AM.

Page generated in 0.08200 seconds with 7 queries