Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Grandstand tracking

I bought a 2010 toro grandstand. Before I bought it the recall with the controls was done so suposivly its like the newer ones without the speed adjust. I am having an issue with the tracking of the machine. Going forward its dead nuts perfect. But in reverse its about 3 times faster on the left wheel than the right. what could this be?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:01 AM
LawnSite Member

my '12 started doing the same thing. This was my issue & may very well be yours as well: Pull the back panel off (meaning the part that your knees/thighs rest against) by pulling the cotter pins out on each side & folding the panel down. Down low you will see the two hydros. Move each control lever back & forth & watch what happens with the control linkage down low when you do that. I noticed that when I pulled the right control lever down it wasn't moving the linkage like the left one did. It was instead appearing to slip in the plastic sleeve down by the linkage. I used a hose clamp to tighten the outside of the cable & subsequently everything began functioning normally again. I realize after reading over what I've written that its really not all that clear lol...but I'd suggest just opening that back access panel & watching what happens when you move the control levers, & hopefully what I'm trying to convey will become clear EDIT: mower is shut off while doing this. Thought I should throw that in there too

Last edited by ozarkbilly; 08-16-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok ill check the lower linkage out tomorrow thanks for that input. I noticed today there was a bad bushing on the right handle witch made it not engage all the way. After replacing it , it made it better but still not perfect.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the grandstands were NOTORIOUS for the reverse tracking...we had two but switched them out with the new JD standers...i'm not sure if we were ever able to completely fix the tracking or not...i remember the problem was once you start messing with the reverse tracking it starts messing up the forward tracking...i know what you are going through, it was agonizing trying to back up with the grandstands...pretty sure they fixed that problem in 2011 or 12, can't believe they didn't fix it the second year of production, which would have been 2010
Old 08-17-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

also, check with a dealer, toro had many "bulletins" they called them of stuff they needed to fix, and the reverse hydros was definitely a bulletin

for what it's worth, i was very happy with the grandstands, considering toro had to go around all of wrights patents, i think they did a very good job, and actually some things they did better...both companies (toro, wright/deere) make great standers