Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-02-2003, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Past dui will sometimes effect our ability to insure a new driver\employee. My biggest problem is getting a newly licensed driver insured on my commercial insurance. My company at least wants somebody with at least 5 years driving experience. It's a pain but they finally will add somebody plus an extra cost for no experience.

Now let me see, somebody with a license and 5 years+ experience who never drove a very wide and big trucks like our companies use is going to be a better driver than a person who just got his license yesterday, but was always driving big trucks in the army or on farms. Remember on private property, as long it is a private road, you don't need a license to drive a vehicle until you go on a public right of way.

Which on of these two drivers will be able to handle my trucks faster???

John
Old 03-03-2003, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As a former commercial insurance underwriter I will tell you that if you haven't been asked for a list of operators someone is doing a very sloppy job. Bad drivers don't become good drivers when they switch from their own vehicle to your vehicle. They may be able to get their own insurance through the assigned risk plan or from a non-standard carrier. Unless you have a copy of the dec sheet you frankly don't know if they have personal insurance or not. Yes, you will pay more for your commercial auto insurance if your drivers have DUIs and multiple points from violations. End of conversation, that's just the way it is. Remember, the insurance company is placing $ (enter your limits here) of their policyholders assets on the line and they are going to charge a premium that is commensurate with the risk. Maybe you don't need a license to drive on private property but the liability for negligence is the same as on the public road. If the driver is excluded from coverage it will make no difference. Ask prospective employees to bring a copy of their MVR to the job interview. If you have employees and you don't obtain permission to order their MVR from the state and get one every year (your agent can help you with this) your going to be in for some surprises. All this is just part of running your business as a professional.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye5
As a former commercial insurance underwriter I will tell you that if you haven't been asked for a list of operators someone is doing a very sloppy job. Bad drivers don't become good drivers when they switch from their own vehicle to your vehicle. They may be able to get their own insurance through the assigned risk plan or from a non-standard carrier. Unless you have a copy of the dec sheet you frankly don't know if they have personal insurance or not. Yes, you will pay more for your commercial auto insurance if your drivers have DUIs and multiple points from violations. End of conversation, that's just the way it is. Remember, the insurance company is placing $ (enter your limits here) of their policyholders assets on the line and they are going to charge a premium that is commensurate with the risk. Maybe you don't need a license to drive on private property but the liability for negligence is the same as on the public road. If the driver is excluded from coverage it will make no difference. Ask prospective employees to bring a copy of their MVR to the job interview. If you have employees and you don't obtain permission to order their MVR from the state and get one every year (your agent can help you with this) your going to be in for some surprises. All this is just part of running your business as a professional.
Hawkeye5,
I couldn't have agreed more with what you said in post specialy, everything is true.

My dad's old driver, for years he was driving farm trucks and tractors. His old boss NEVER LET him drive on a public acess road. Until he got tired of farm life and the country, he never had a need for a driver's liscense. His family or boss would drive him were ever he needed to go or he took greyhound to L.A. to see his family.

It sucked that my dad had to pay extra due to the fact that he had no proven driving experience other than our word, his old boss, and his word.

To bad this was not enough, though I can see from an insurance point why this is so.I wouldn't take sombody word for it also. It's too bad that the insurance companies can't design a driving skill test and give a discount if you pass with flying colors. I know they give discounts,(at least in CA.) if you pass a defensive driving course, but why not on skill also. There are many drivers out there that have been driving for years, but are very scary. Come drive on my local freeways during commute hours.

John