Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-16-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Family / friends helping your business out

Hey guys if you are a solo guy and own a business And it's all legit ( LLC and Insurance ) If you had a big job like a bigger fall clean up or big mulch job can you legally have your wife or brother/ sister or friends help you with a job or is that against the law
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

you can hire anyone you want. In fact in most states you can have your children help (it's not considered against the law if the children are your own)

I would highly suggest NOT doing it however, just to keep your life separate from your business, otherwise your life and your business starts to look like some reality show on cable, and you never get to 'go home' from work.

have you considered labor ready or other similar temp agency... just hire the day labor, make sure to keep the paperwork around fof tax time so your arent paying out taxes on labor that's already taxed.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

well that's the thing I don't mean actually hire them. I mean for like 2 or 3 times a season If I need a hand legally can I have a family member or friend give me a hand to get the job done kinda like free labor is there is issue with this.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Family / friends helping your business out

I use my 3 kids all the time. I love it and they do too, when it's not so hot. They are covered under my medical insurance and general liability. 11 million illegal's in the country and no one seems to get in trouble for using them. And those are "legit" business' too. If you want to hire some one and feel good about it then send them a w-2 at the end of the year.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

No law against getting free help.

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..
Old 11-17-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Solo here and I use my son as a helper when he is not in school. He loves it. He's an animal with the leaf clean ups that I do!! He's a $$ making machine! I couldn't imagine right now using anyone else! I think that sometimes he's more into it than I am! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device