Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-17-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's my question!!!!

I have a good friend that opened up his own business last year. He sells Big Dog and Bad Boy mowers along with Echo, Shindaiwa and Tanaka handhelds. I bought a Big Dog Diablo from him last year with a 60" cut and 35hp Kawasaki. They are built by Excel who makes Hustler and my mower has the same deck as the old Hustlers (pre VX4) I love the mower and have not had any major issues with it. I am looking to add another mower next season and really like the Gravely Proturn 460 with the air ride and X2 deck. The closest dealer gravely dealer is only 15 minutes from me but they do not have a good rep about taking care of their customers. My gut feeling is to stay loyal to my friend that really takes care of me but I also like the Gravely and I do not want to make my friend mad. What would you do?
Old 08-17-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Go with your gut!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dealer rep is the way to go here. I no longer buy equipment from dealers that do a sorry job of taking care of their customers. The local Xmark dealer is on my banned for life list because they screwed me over ten yrs ago. It wasn't a minor thing either.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 08-17-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you just like the seat on the 460 you can buy that ya know.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
If you just like the seat on the 460 you can buy that ya know.
Gravely's air seat is not available as an accessory. Plus the superior ride of the Gravely is part air seat and part isolated platforms. They both work together. I have seen generic air seats available from aftermarket companies but I dont know how they compare or how high the would place the operator on the machine?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog Diablo View Post
I have a good friend that opened up his own business last year. He sells Big Dog and Bad Boy mowers along with Echo, Shindaiwa and Tanaka handhelds. I bought a Big Dog Diablo from him last year with a 60" cut and 35hp Kawasaki. They are built by Excel who makes Hustler and my mower has the same deck as the old Hustlers (pre VX4) I love the mower and have not had any major issues with it. I am looking to add another mower next season and really like the Gravely Proturn 460 with the air ride and X2 deck. The closest dealer gravely dealer is only 15 minutes from me but they do not have a good rep about taking care of their customers. My gut feeling is to stay loyal to my friend that really takes care of me but I also like the Gravely and I do not want to make my friend mad. What would you do?
As much as I love Gravely I would not work with a bad dealer. Its not worth it no matter what machines they sell.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
As much as I love Gravely I would not work with a bad dealer. Its not worth it no matter what machines they sell.
I couldn't agree more with you sir! I'm in the process of converting to Toro just because of the unbelievable dealer support. To me, the dealer makes all the difference.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gravely does not make the seat so it is avalable. You can also order the whole seat sytem from gravely because they sell it in parts.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Gravely does not make the seat so it is avalable. You can also order the whole seat sytem from gravely because they sell it in parts.
The seat is specially made for Gravely only, memory foam and all. Gravely has commented on LS many times stating it is not available as a accesory/kit. If you were to piece together the complete parts list it would cost over $2000. This has been talked about many times on LS with Gravely Commercial.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Its not just the seat I like on the Gravely. It has alot of features I like and I read the whole thread about it on LS the other day. I can't recall anybody giving it a bad review. When I went to the dealer to look at it in person they had a Proturn 460 sitting outside. I looked it over real good (wanted to see the adjustable baffles) before I went in to talk ask about pricing. I asked about the adjustable baffles and guy behind the counter told me they didn't have adjustable baffles. He stated to me Gravely has not changed their deck in over 10 years. Even after him telling me this I tried telling him that I been doing a little research on them and yeah they do have adjustable baffles he tells me and I quote "Well buddy I been selling these mowers for a long time and they do not have adjustable baffles". So me being the smart@zz I am (when provoked) i asked him to come outside because I had a question about something on the mower. After walking up to the mower I bent down and asked "What are those" (pointing at baffles). He then bent down and looked and said "HUH, I didn't know they had those". I then asked if I could demo one and he informed me that they do not let people demo mowers but I could drive it around their paved parking lot but I couldn't turn the blades on. Now how in the world would you know if your gonna like the mower if you can't go cut with it? I mean who is gonna spend that much money without trying it out? NOT ME!!!!!