Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog Diablo View Post
Its not just the seat I like on the Gravely. It has alot of features I like and I read the whole thread about it on LS the other day. I can't recall anybody giving it a bad review. When I went to the dealer to look at it in person they had a Proturn 460 sitting outside. I looked it over real good (wanted to see the adjustable baffles) before I went in to talk ask about pricing. I asked about the adjustable baffles and guy behind the counter told me they didn't have adjustable baffles. He stated to me Gravely has not changed their deck in over 10 years. Even after him telling me this I tried telling him that I been doing a little research on them and yeah they do have adjustable baffles he tells me and I quote "Well buddy I been selling these mowers for a long time and they do not have adjustable baffles". So me being the smart@zz I am (when provoked) i asked him to come outside because I had a question about something on the mower. After walking up to the mower I bent down and asked "What are those" (pointing at baffles). He then bent down and looked and said "HUH, I didn't know they had those". I then asked if I could demo one and he informed me that they do not let people demo mowers but I could drive it around their paved parking lot but I couldn't turn the blades on. Now how in the world would you know if your gonna like the mower if you can't go cut with it? I mean who is gonna spend that much money without trying it out? NOT ME!!!!!
Your right the Gravely 400 series is an amazing machine. It may have been my thread you read. But I would NOT work with that dealer. I know Gravely themselves would be happy to set you up with a demo. They may even contact you if they read this thread.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Your right the Gravely 400 series is an amazing machine. It may have been my thread you read. But I would NOT work with that dealer. I know Gravely themselves would be happy to set you up with a demo. They may even contact you if they read this thread.
Yes sir it was your thread that I read. i would love to demo one but I refuse to ever step foot back in that dealership and thank you for all the info you provided. I have only been a member on LS for a few months and always enjoy reading your posts. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes sir it was your thread that I read. i would love to demo one but I refuse to ever step foot back in that dealership and thank you for all the info you provided. I have only been a member on LS for a few months and always enjoy reading your posts. Thanks.
Your welcome! PM me if you have any questions. I also have extensive experience with Scag and Kubota. I have used or demoed almost every major brand.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I had thoughts of calling Gravely and asking them why a dealership would not let anyone demo one of their mowers but after thinking about it decided not to, Its a shame the next closest dealer is a couple hours away. I guess I will just wait and see what Big Dog comes out with next year. GMLC what suspension seat would you recommend for someone?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I had thoughts of calling Gravely and asking them why a dealership would not let anyone demo one of their mowers but after thinking about it decided not to, Its a shame the next closest dealer is a couple hours away. I guess I will just wait and see what Big Dog comes out with next year. GMLC what suspension seat would you recommend for someone?
Both michigan and grammer have some nice seats. I know there is a thread about an air-puffer insert. I have never tried one of those.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Both michigan and grammer have some nice seats. I know there is a thread about an air-puffer insert. I have never tried one of those.
Yeah I read the thread on here about the puffer and checked out their web site. I will probably try it out but I'm kinda concerned about the extra operator height.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah I read the thread on here about the puffer and checked out their web site. I will probably try it out but I'm kinda concerned about the extra operator height.
That would concern me as well. I mow some steep hills and like to keep my center of gravity as low as possible. I also have some properties with low hanging branches.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
That would concern me as well. I mow some steep hills and like to keep my center of gravity as low as possible. I also have some properties with low hanging branches.
I use my walkbehind on steep hills and ditches but I also have several accounts with low hanging branches and often get beat up by them before I leave the property.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
That dealer sounds horrible - I wouldn't deal with them either.

As far as the demo, the dealer 'owns' that machine and wants to sell it as a new one so they can't let you cut grass with it. They have the option to purchase 'demo' machines and sell them for less $$$ after x number of hours and gravely cuts them a break on price. If they don't have demo machines in stock the dealer should get in contact with their ariens/gravely rep to request they bring one out for you - it may not be an instant gratification deal but they should be able to dig up a 400 series pretty easily since that is their flagship.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Columbia has a Gravely dealer. It's not THAT far from Shelbyville. Not as close as Tulllahoma. I'm seriously looking at getting a Pro-Ride 260 but will likely buy from Columbia or Huntsville.