Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Thanks Big, thats certainly a (North) Red VX4. I wonder why Hustler havent offered that baffle as a bolt on option for the Yellow VX4. I mean and as Ive said, its very similar to the bolt on baffle I tried, but seems no one knows about it.
This is a 2010 machine right? So theyve had this baffled deck for 3 years. They obviously knew there were issues with the deck to come up with this baffle.
Im really surprised you dont get the clumping off that angled piece at rear of chute.
No this is my 2012 Diablo but the 2010 X1060 had the same deck. One thing I do not like about this deck is there is no space between the front baffle oand the front pf the deck like on most other mowers (slope nose). This does not allow the grass (crabgrass with long stems) to stand back up before the blades can cut it. After looking at my snapper pro I noticed that the deck was actually shorter in the front which allowed the blades to set below the front lip of the mower. I put a 1/4" spacer between the blade and spindle and that helped alot. Also this deck cuts good but doesn't seem to have the vac that some of the other mowers have.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Im still blown away that the Red VX4 was on that machine in 2010! They must of tested it before then, so why are so many having problems with the deck. I dont get it!!!!

Anyway...
There be the conundrum!!! You need the "South" deck with the adjustable baffles but, those baffles need to be the one off the "North" deck. Basically, make that North deck adjustable! Not sure how they could do that as it would leave a gap above the baffle.

Hustler came out with a "kit" to lower the blades in the deck on the (around) '04 SZ. If I remember correctly it was around half inch spacer and longer bolts. As youve done, it lowered the blades in the deck. I went a step further and used some off set blade that lowered the cutting edge by another 1/4" or so. This put the blade a fraction lower than the front of the deck. It worked well!

While I have major issues with my VX4 and clumping, the actual cut is really good leaving very few stringers. Only time I get them is if cutting a cr@ppy paddock with spindly but long (think 18 to 24") weed grass like crab and paspalum etc. The longer stems bend over and the blades miss them. If I cut that sort of stuff often, I would raise the baffle and Im sure that would make it better but, Im not adjusting them for one stinkin paddock!
Old 08-22-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah trying to cut them long stems SUCK. My deck has some holes drilled in the front baffle and thought about buying some adjustable baffles from Hustler but wasn't sure if they would work.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you cant raise the baffle now, adding anything on will probably only make it worse.
Thats the good thing about the South deck, you can raise that baffle quite a bit making it more open in front, lessening the amount the grass will bend over. But, you would loose vacuum on spindly northern type grass.
Messing with these baffles isnt something you want to do between jobs!

Looks like you were cutting in some pretty wet conditions with all that mush! Get much clogging up/clumping?
Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Deere decks have the front edge of the deck about 1" above the side and rear edges, which puts the blade's cutting edge 1/2" below the front edge of the deck. There's good and bad with that set up. The good is that it allows the blades to cut tall grass before it gets bent over too far. The bad is it allows a lot more blowout than a deck that doesn't have a raised front edge.
What makes a deck cut tall stalks/stringers is having the blade's front end set back an inch or two from the front baffle like the VX-4 or Velocity Plus decks. The Deere blades are right up tight to the front baffle, so while they cut clippings smaller than the other two, they may leave a stringer here and there that the other two wouldn't, depending on the type of grass being cut.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
If you cant raise the baffle now, adding anything on will probably only make it worse.
Thats the good thing about the South deck, you can raise that baffle quite a bit making it more open in front, lessening the amount the grass will bend over. But, you would loose vacuum on spindly northern type grass.
Messing with these baffles isnt something you want to do between jobs!

Looks like you were cutting in some pretty wet conditions with all that mush! Get much clogging up/clumping?
Yeah Bermuda with morning dew. I just wish I could create more vacuum without running high lifts.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
So are you having any of the clumping issues that the majority of everyone else is having with the vx4? What size is your vx4?
I have no clumping, but, I'm not in a situation where I have to mow wet grass. I'm not 7 days a week. I usually leave out just before noon. That allows plenty of time for moisture to burn off and allows me advertising exposure, via box trailer, while the lunch crowd is out and about.

As noted in my signature, it's a 60".

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The good is that it allows the blades to cut tall grass before it gets bent over too far. The bad is it allows a lot more blowout than a deck that doesn't have a raised front edge.
Both points are exactly what I've found.

The best cut for me was with the baffles dropped. As stated elsewhere, this reduced the amount of airflow through the deck. My discharge just blows out, with much less of a high-velocity flow out the front of the opening. The only negative I have is the accumulation of clippings, on the front wall, between the left and center blades, which is precisely where other manufacturers have put standoff baffles.

All these deck discussions just reinforce the idea one HAS TO demo with prospective machines.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-22-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I have no clumping, but, I'm not in a situation where I have to mow wet grass. I'm not 7 days a week. I usually leave out just before noon. That allows plenty of time for moisture to burn off and allows me advertising exposure, via box trailer, while the lunch crowd is out and about.

As noted in my signature, it's a 60".
Sorry I'm on my phone and can't see your sig.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
Sorry I'm on my phone and can't see your sig.
Oh, didn't think about that. I hate my phone for the internet, so I stay off of it. Too old school, I guess.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-23-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, where I live I don't have many Internet options unfortunately. We have either dial up or a broadband connection that is extremely expensive. So I'm stuck with my phone lol.
Closed Thread