Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
It is really confusing. Excel though, is being dishonest in their advertising. They still call the FX850 (at least as of their 2012 catalog, and their sales people when you call this year) that engine a 21, and they know full well it isn't. They can get away with it because the engine manu labeled it and not them, and it helps them sell a lesser powered machine more easily. There's nothing wrong with the 850. I run one and it is plenty of engine for a 60" deck. I just don't like the misleading BS, especially when someone wants a true 31 hp minimum engine, but is not aware of the rating system change a couple years ago.
That is very well said, and when I have tried to get this across to people many come back with, "well, it's the same engine and has plenty of power for my mower, what difference does it really make." That's beside the point, if you are a dealer, be upfront and honest with your customers.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
It is really confusing. Excel though, is being dishonest in their advertising. They still call the FX850 (at least as of their 2012 catalog, and their sales people when you call this year) that engine a 21, and they know full well it isn't. They can get away with it because the engine manu labeled it and not them, and it helps them sell a lesser powered machine more easily. There's nothing wrong with the 850. I run one and it is plenty of engine for a 60" deck. I just don't like the misleading BS, especially when someone wants a true 31 hp minimum engine, but is not aware of the rating system change a couple years ago.
My bad, that is supposed to be 31, not 21. I accidentally hit the wrong key.

puppy-

all we can do is keep trying to make sure we post the correct information in the hopes that the word will spread and more will know the truth/facts when they go to buy. They don't have to take our word for it either. It is all right there on Kawasaki's site for all to see the explanation and true ratings. To a lesser degree, it is now on Kohler's site too, though you have to really look hard for it since they've chosen to put it at the very end of the specs in smaller print knowing most people will never check into it any further than the specs at the top of the spec page. I expect that once the rating labels they have from the old system are used up, all manu's will start using the true ratings. Then the confusion and questioning by customers will really begin.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
That's right, and Excel still sells the FX850 labeled as 31HP for some reason. After this much time since the rating change, the only thing I can think of is that they bought a ton of them before the rating change took place that were still labeled as 31 HP. the local Hustler dealer's SZ's are the same way.

I look forward to your review. If you can get some, I am interested in pics of the underside of your deck too. Now you have me curious about the "new" deck for 2014. Be interesting to see if it is the VX4 or not.
I will get some pics posted of the deck in a few days. I am also curious about what they do for 2014.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Notice something curious on one of these vids. I took a screen shot....
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I caught that too Mick, but didn't know how to take that pic. Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No problem Ridin!
I trialled a bolt on baffle similar to that, by the looks. I wish I'd taken a pic of it. It didnt work for me and loaded up the deck which caused a lot of "spits."
Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It'd be interesting to see how that particular deck worked on your properties Mick (if they are even offered over there). I'd like to see a bunch of underside pics of that deck. I couldn't find any on BD's site, but that doesn't mean they aren't on there. I just suck at finding that type of stuff.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
It'd be interesting to see how that particular deck worked on your properties Mick (if they are even offered over there). I'd like to see a bunch of underside pics of that deck. I couldn't find any on BD's site, but that doesn't mean they aren't on there. I just suck at finding that type of stuff.
If that baffle is the same as the one I tried, and Im pretty sure it is, then it didnt work! It lost the free flow thing!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Notice something curious on one of these vids. I took a screen shot....
Is this a Big Dog? Sorry I can't watch the videos because I'm at work.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog Diablo View Post
Is this a Big Dog? Sorry I can't watch the videos because I'm at work.
Yes, it is in one of the videos that was posted above in this thread by puppy.
Closed Thread