The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Is where you live considered "the south?"
At the end of the day, if the deck works for you then theres no problem.
Did you see how the front baffle is attached, bolted/welded on etc?
Mine has no baffles. I really have no complaints with the cut but hey, if the "south" deck with adjustable baffles is a better deck then I imagine I will try and buy just the deck and swap them out. I'm already gonna be adding another ztr in the spring so I'm anxious to see what happens with Big Dog.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
The poor bastards in the transition zone don't stand a chance, like myself. I do a fair amount of heavy cutting so I can never really get the QOC that I desire. I would almost give my left nut for some of these properties I see you guys post on here.
Curb I'm not sure if your post was directed toward the pics I posted in this thread but I promise you I really only have a few accounts where they have a good stand of weed free fescue, but crabgrass pays the bills too. lol
Old 08-20-2013, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog Diablo View Post
Curb I'm not sure if your post was directed toward the pics I posted in this thread but I promise you I really only have a few accounts where they have a good stand of weed free fescue, but crabgrass pays the bills too. lol
I don't know what kind of weather you've been dealing with but we've been so wet a farmer just below me had this to say about having to deal with a different type pest this year due to excessive rainfall. We've had rain once again for the past three days, it's as if we are living under a tropical depression.

QUOTE:

“We don’t have any peanuts made or cotton bolls set. Most of our crops are just too water logged and there is no oxygen in the soil for peanuts to use.”

The South Carolina grower says what will come next after all the rain remains to be seen. An all too common site this year has been a new pest in his cotton and peanut fields — alligators. “We see them occasionally, but not in our crops,” Bowers says.

“The last two years we made the best crops we’ve ever made and this year it looks like we will make one of the worst crops we’ve ever made on this farm,” Bowers says.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry Big but I dont understand. Are you saying you have neither of these decks? An older version?
That South deck looks VERY similar to the VX4, maybe the leading edge is out a bit further on the VX4 but I cant see much more difference.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No he has the standard deck. My xr7 is the one that resembles that "southern" deck. My super z is a 2010 and I know they had different changes on the decks in the years prior to the vx4.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Mick-

Thanks for posting the pics, and all together like that for us. I found the pics ok, but I still don't know how to do more than post the link. I'm gonna have to get my wife to teach me how to do what you did with them.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Something I found intersting about that std deck's front baffle- it is the spitting image of Deere's new 9 gauge High Capacity deck they build for their heavy duty garden tractors, and I believe, their HO ZTR model 655's HC deck as well.

Go to page 9 of the brochure and click on the deck pic at the bottom to enlarge it-

http://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/zmag...ies_zmags.html
Old 08-20-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The std deck's baffle looks like it bolts in to me. It would be great if they included the baffle along with the other air control pieces that way you could adapt your deck for several cutting situations.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Something I found intersting about that std deck's front baffle- it is the spitting image of Deere's new 9 gauge High Capacity deck they build for their heavy duty garden tractors, and I believe, their HO ZTR model 655's HC deck as well.

Go to page 9 of the brochure and click on the deck pic at the bottom to enlarge it-

http://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/zmag...ies_zmags.html
I watch a number of farm related programs, and have seen this quick attach deck JD now offers for their lawn & garden tractors, this is really a great concept. You just drive up and over while the deck attachment takes care of itself.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbAppealKS View Post
The std deck's baffle looks like it bolts in to me. It would be great if they included the baffle along with the other air control pieces that way you could adapt your deck for several cutting situations.
Curb-
where are you seeing the bolts for the std baffle. I don't see them anywhere in the diagram, but then maybe I need glasses.
Closed Thread