Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2013, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki fh641v not charging battery?

bought a brand new battery and a few weeks later went to start my tiger cub and all I got was a clilck. Charged it up and started fine for a few days then same thing. I can jump it with my truck to start it and it runs fine...blades engage fine with the electric clutch.

I put on a battery disconnect and disconnect the battery when not in use...changed the 20 amp fuses and still having a battery issue. Next step is the return the battery for a new one because this one is having trouble holding a charge.

Is there something I'm missing? Stator looked clean and I'm assuming is operating normally because once I get it started the engine runs good and the electric clutch engages like it should.

Battery is around 12.5 volts when engine running at idle and full speed...also when engine is not running. Should I be seeing around 14 volts when engine running like a car?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Couple of things to check. First, check the stator's AC output , should be 28VAC @ 3,000 rpm. Unplug the two white wires at the rect/reg. and check. If OK, then check regulator D.C. output. Should be 14.1 V.
Take a close look at the charge wire slip-on connecter and reg. terminal. They have a tendency to loosen and arc/corrode. May just have to clean up the terminal and replace the wire end.
The best crimp-on wire end to use looks like this "B" if you look into the business end of it. They tend to grip the terminal better than the flat looking ones. Yeah, I know..........WTF is he talkin about....B...flat ???

......AMF!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok...how to test the 2 white wires from the stator with the voltmeter...should I stick the red pin into one white wire end and the black ground tester pin into the other white wire end? or should be testing both white wires together and then hook the black tester wire to ground?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Click on the link in this post: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410780

Then scroll down to page 15 of section 9.

Might not be a bad Idea to save the manual.

Pics of the terminals I was talkin about:

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  141.6 KB

Name:  005.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  117.5 KB

......AMF!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Just tested...stator voltage was around 30v and regulated voltage was around 2v. So I guess I'm buying a new voltage regulator. Thanks for the info
Old 08-21-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimreynolds View Post
Just tested...stator voltage was around 30v and regulated voltage was around 2v. So I guess I'm buying a new voltage regulator. Thanks for the info
Does it look like this one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLTAGE-REGU...item4162184aa8

If so, PM me, I think I have one I'll let go reasonable.

......AMF!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah it's the exact same one...Just bought it though, thanks.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Bump. Mine is an 801v

Stator and regulator check out as suggested. I show 14v at the new battery (that's not staying charged)

Soon as I pull the neg cable it does in about 5 seconds?

Help would be greatly appreciated. I do have a slightly bad connection I'm about to fix on the pto but I don't think that would cause this?

Thanks!

Z
Old 09-04-2013, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I would clean all connections and the ground. Let me know what happens. Turned out my regulator was fine but am still getting only 12.5 volts at the battery. Dropping it off at the shop on Saturday but would like to avoid this.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Is there something I can do to narrow this down? It's wierd i seem in spec on the three thins mentioned. Should I check the draw the clutch is taking ? How. Sorry to be a pain on this.

Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimreynolds View Post
I would clean all connections and the ground. Let me know what happens. Turned out my regulator was fine but am still getting only 12.5 volts at the battery. Dropping it off at the shop on Saturday but would like to avoid this.