Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

HELP > Nerve Damage Symptoms from RedMax BCZ2460S String Trimmer

About a month ago, I purchased a RedMax BCZ2460S String Trimmer, on the belief that brand is invincible, the best there is, durable, reliable, great performance. Well, if they had a trial period, this thing would be returned for a refund immediately. I used this trimmer twice so far. The first time I used it, I had a job that lasted a few hours, and at one point, I noticed that my hand fell asleep, and then realized that it was the vibration from the tool that caused it. The tool performs fine otherwise. The second time was for lighter work, less throttle, less work time. The lesser applied throttle seemed to increase the amount of vibrations being transmitted thru the tool into my hand. Horrible, vibrations were so obvious. Dont take that to mean full throttle eliminated it -- the vibrations are still there.

I suppose I got suckered into all the hype of that brand, the strato-charge engine, etc., but what is the point, if the design flaw is so bad that it damages the nerves in my hand. My Brother is a physician and he told me that vibrations like that can be a cause of Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, that I need to stop using the tool immediately.

I was wondering if the hollow drive shaft or the rubber vibration dampers might be the cause? About 10 years I ago I got my first RedMax String Trimmer, a BC2200E, which I still have, it works great, lightweight too, and in comparison it has no vibration issues. it has a cable driveshaft. I also had a Stihl FS66 Brush Cutter, solid steel rod, and that did not vibrate either. This new string trimmer, the BCZ2460S, has a hollow steel rod, with something rubber on it.

What do you guys think is the cause, the rubber, the hollow steel driveshaft, or perhaps the combination of both? Do all brands with hollow driveshafts suffer from this problem? Can solid steel driveshafts have this problem as well? Can the problem be fixed, like removing the offending rubber, and/or replacing the hollow rod with a solid steel one?

I posted this in hopes that other people who own this tool might have some kind of helpful information or advice. PLEASE DONT START A BRAND DEBATE and send me one liners like get such and such brand and model -- it wont help one bit, but only serve to push me away from the recommendation.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a lemon, Have you taken it back and telling them your concerns. Maybe it can be fixed or replaced. I t shouldn't be vibrating to that degree being this new. Under warranty?

Back when I tried them after about a season, the spring in the clutch kept failing. It would cause tremendous vibrations.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Almost everyone I know that has been in this business for a period of time has Carpel Tunnel including myself. I don't know if your machine has a problem but pretty much every piece of equipment we deal with on a daily basis will cause Carpel Tunnel. Even hand tools will cause it, many mechanics and tradesman suffer from Carpel Tunnel.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I've suffered the same symptoms you have. Most of the time if my Redmax BCZ2600 is vibrating it's because the line load in the trimmer head has an imbalance. All handheld power equipment will cause your problems. I invested in top quality anti-vibration gloves a few years ago and I should have been using them all along. They really do help if you have a long trimming job to do.
By the way, I have been very pleased with Redmax. Their trimmers and blowers have been flawless for me.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
I've suffered the same symptoms you have. Most of the time if my Redmax BCZ2600 is vibrating it's because the line load in the trimmer head has an imbalance. All handheld power equipment will cause your problems. I invested in top quality anti-vibration gloves a few years ago and I should have been using them all along. They really do help if you have a long trimming job to do. By the way, I have been very pleased with Redmax. Their trimmers and blowers have been flawless for me.
What material are those gloves made of to prevent the vibs?

Never heard of them, who makes them?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
Sounds like a lemon, Have you taken it back and telling them your concerns. Maybe it can be fixed or replaced. It shouldn't be vibrating to that degree being this new. Under warranty? Back when I tried them after about a season, the spring in the clutch kept failing. It would cause tremendous vibrations.
I wish I had access to someone objective with lots of experience with these tools to evaluate it for me. I can only compare it to my older, lighter, cable driven trimmer, with has zero vibs -- by zero, I mean I never felt any whatsoever. I wonder if this vib thing is more prevalent when you start getting into the commercial level models.

There was another thing that happened but I dont know if it is related to the vibrations. Perhaps it is a clutch issue. I heard this sound that occurred at low throttle as if something was loose, a metal hitting metal sound, but it always went away when I gave it more throttle. It sounded as if it came from the gear case but I checked and nothing was loose at all. The second time when I used the trimmer, it seemed as if the sound was coming from the engine area, and again, it went away with more throttle.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My TR2350S and my echo SRM-230's both make my trigger hand tingle then go semi numb. I have to stop and shake my hand and it goes right back to normal and I continue on. I have been doing this since I was 14 and am now 35. My father has been doing this over 30 years and it doesn't bother his hands at all. My biggest wish is for trimmers to be a little longer. I am always slightly hunched over when trimming and that hurts my lower back and I am only 5'10" tall.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyer999 View Post
What material are those gloves made of to prevent the vibs?

Never heard of them, who makes them?
I got mine from a local dealer but you can google anti-vibration gloves and there will be several companies come up that sell online. DON'T skimp. The best ones are ANSI rated(I think). Most are made with some form of vibration absorbing materials from gels to fabrics. I have one 20ac school I have to trim and before the gloves my whole hands would be numb for several days. Using the gloves I can do the same property without stopping and my hands are fine. I won't run a trimmer, or chainsaw without them. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
My TR2350S and my echo SRM-230's both make my trigger hand tingle then go semi numb. I have to stop and shake my hand and it goes right back to normal and I continue on. I have been doing this since I was 14 and am now 35. My father has been doing this over 30 years and it doesn't bother his hands at all. My biggest wish is for trimmers to be a little longer. I am always slightly hunched over when trimming and that hurts my lower back and I am only 5'10" tall.
I'm glad I read your reply. I was considering the TR2350S as well and wondered about how that performs. Your description about the tingling and numbness is very close to what I experienced. What was really surprising is that I am also 5' 10" and the same thing happens to my back. Not sure if you are aware of this or not but Tanaka advertises a 71" shaft trimmer for tall people, the TBC-260PFL. It says for people 6' 5" or taller, so I never bothered considering it. I found that if I stand different and use a shoulder strap I can prevent some lower back pain. I'm also considering one of those wide support belts that are good for back support. Supposedly keeps your back straighter.

After this first RM letdown, from now on I will go back to my old school ways of evaluating each and every tool on all aspects, and stop being brand loyal. It just takes so much longer to leave no stone unturned, though.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl makes the anti vib gloves, and most dealer stock them, at least around here.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/pro...antivibration/

Sometimes, a certain brand or type of string can cause the trimmer to vibrate a lot more than another type or brand. The metal on metal sound you heard is the clutch. My Husky 223L does it at idle too (sometimes), but it is less now than when new. It goes away with any throttle applied, and has never been an issue in 2 years of use.