Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It varies not just by brand or model. Even from unit to unit. Some are worse than others. I think it's the bearings in the shaft in some instances. Out of 4 bcz2401s trimmers, 2 were very smooth, one had mild vibes, one was almost unusable.

If you remove the power head, and swap it to the trimmer head end of the shaft, often the vibe just goes away, or is greatly diminished. You may need to drill a hole in the aluminum shaft for the set screw. Be careful with the set screw in the casting. The casting is pretty thin.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok, now its time to talk brands and models. If I get rid of this trimmer, and look for another brand or model it will most likely be one of the following:

First off, as I said in my op, I have another RM trimmer that does not produce vibrations for me. The only reason I got this one is because my vibration-free trimmer does not take any attachments and I need to run a blade periodically. Maybe I would have been better off getting a reciprocator.

I think I read about a Husqvarna 426 something, straight tube, very lightweight, and has great reviews, people seem to rave about it. Doesnt take attachments though, so it would be redundant to have two trimmers.

A Stihl, although I have no idea what model that would be without any vibrations. I cant seem to find details about their products when I look at their online catalog.

Maybe a Kawi, but since they are quitting the power tools, that might not be a good idea.

I like the Maru BC2621 specs on paper, but I dont know how it is on vibrations in the real world

One thing that didnt make sense to me when I thought about using a rubber damper to reduce vibrations, is that rubber transmits vibrations as well as absorbing them. I think Echo chose to use metal springs to reduce vibrations instead of rubber, like RM does. But I think the combo rubber/spring designs might have the least vibrations of all. Anyway, although this CTS might be common in this line of work, the fact that I have used a different RM model without any vibrations has to mean that it is an engineering issue.

This is one of those times I wish I knew someone that has tried all of these products.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=diyer999;4841709]Ok, now its time to talk brands and models/QUOTE]

I forgot to add the RM BCZ3050S. It has a solid steel shaft. Heavier than I prefer, but still a possibility, as well as the other brands/models.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Diyer, Ive been running Kawi's for several years and suffer from the vibration problem.

Look into "White Finger" or HAVS Hand & Arm Vibration Syndrome ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibration_white_finger

Ive been using anti vib gloves for years now after a very bad bout of numb fingers that lasted months. Made several fingers hyper sensitive to EVERYTHING. They came good after a while and I stopped using the glove but then it came back again and have to wear a glove all the time now when using any machinery. I have slightly numb fingers as I type this.
I'll have this for the rest of my life now, the damage is done. Its nerve damage rather than carpel tunnel.

Since the numbness has started I would certainly recommend getting some gloves to lessen the chance of long term damage.

Trouble with gloves though, other than the obvious heat issue is holding the trigger on a trimmer is more difficult as the gel or other makes the handle feel much thicker, this will stress your hand as it will feel like your dropping it all the time.
Im fortunate in that my problem is in my left hand that holds the loop handle, I'd be screwed if it was in my right hand.

I use Decade Drivers style glove on my left hand only. Decade have a Summer Weight glove that I like more but I have to buy a pair rather than the one so a waste of money.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyer999 View Post
Ok, now its time to talk brands and models. If I get rid of this trimmer, and look for another brand or model it will most likely be one of the following:

First off, as I said in my op, I have another RM trimmer that does not produce vibrations for me. The only reason I got this one is because my vibration-free trimmer does not take any attachments and I need to run a blade periodically. Maybe I would have been better off getting a reciprocator.

I think I read about a Husqvarna 426 something, straight tube, very lightweight, and has great reviews, people seem to rave about it. Doesnt take attachments though, so it would be redundant to have two trimmers.

A Stihl, although I have no idea what model that would be without any vibrations. I cant seem to find details about their products when I look at their online catalog.

Maybe a Kawi, but since they are quitting the power tools, that might not be a good idea.

I like the Maru BC2621 specs on paper, but I dont know how it is on vibrations in the real world

One thing that didnt make sense to me when I thought about using a rubber damper to reduce vibrations, is that rubber transmits vibrations as well as absorbing them. I think Echo chose to use metal springs to reduce vibrations instead of rubber, like RM does. But I think the combo rubber/spring designs might have the least vibrations of all. Anyway, although this CTS might be common in this line of work, the fact that I have used a different RM model without any vibrations has to mean that it is an engineering issue.

This is one of those times I wish I knew someone that has tried all of these products.
The point of my previous post was that this vibe issue with trimmers transcends make and model, varying by the individual unit. IE some vibrate more, some less or hardly at all. Even with the same model. Often (in my experience) turning the bearings around will help. And also. I've never had a cable driven model vibrate as much as the hollow shaft models.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

as a long time redmax user-the non strato models are smoother .
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyer999 View Post
I'm glad I read your reply. I was considering the TR2350S as well and wondered about how that performs. Your description about the tingling and numbness is very close to what I experienced. What was really surprising is that I am also 5' 10" and the same thing happens to my back. Not sure if you are aware of this or not but Tanaka advertises a 71" shaft trimmer for tall people, the TBC-260PFL. It says for people 6' 5" or taller, so I never bothered considering it. I found that if I stand different and use a shoulder strap I can prevent some lower back pain. I'm also considering one of those wide support belts that are good for back support. Supposedly keeps your back straighter.

After this first RM letdown, from now on I will go back to my old school ways of evaluating each and every tool on all aspects, and stop being brand loyal. It just takes so much longer to leave no stone unturned, though.
I own everything red max, I do not believe its the brand or it. My hands go numb hurt and I can't even open them in the morning. I try to sleep with my hands so they are fully extended and not in a ball, and this has really helped, I know a guy who wears gloves at night to keep his hands straight. I also move all my grips and handles on all my gear, I am 5'5" and I was also feeling pulled forward by standard Handel placement, so now I carry a t wrench with me when I get a unit to dial it in. I also try to swap hand when I trim long involved jobs ex specially when I trim bushes.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
. . . Its nerve damage rather than carpel tunnel . . .
That may be correct. I dont know for sure which is the correct medical issue, only that CTS and nerve damage is often discussed simultaneously.

Last edited by diyer999; 08-19-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

The gloves I use are full finger units and are made out of a pretty breathable material. I don't find them to be uncomfortably hot at all. They must have some type of anti-microbe treatment to them since I have sweated in them for 3 yrs now and they still don't smell funky. I don't notice my RedMax vibrating any worse than my Shindy unless the line load is out-of-balance. Something about the head design allows it to be imbalanced if not loaded right.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
The point of my previous post was that this vibe issue with trimmers transcends make and model, varying by the individual unit. IE some vibrate more, some less or hardly at all. Even with the same model. Often (in my experience) turning the bearings around will help. And also. I've never had a cable driven model vibrate as much as the hollow shaft models.
Do the solid steel driveshafts have less vibs than the hollow? I would consider one of them as a replacement?