Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-18-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Turf Tiger possibility

So I need some other views on my situation. Right now I've got my Gravely Pro turn 152 on it. I was at my local scag dealership today and saw they have a 61" turf tiger with like 800 hours on it. My gravely doesn't have near that. But I think I could make a pretty close to even swap on the price of the mowers. I don't do near as many accounts as you guys on here, but I have to get the ones I have done quick since I am still a student and time is limited. What I want to know is should I try to make this swap? I don't think the hours are a real issue since I won't be putting just a ton of hours on it every year. Another thing is the striping. I know the turf tigers put down incredible stripes. The back wheels are almost even with the sides of the deck and on the gravely they're pushed way in and make the stripes look just a little funny. What do you guys think I should do?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Turf Tiger possibility

Turf tiger is a great mower. The 29hp kaw dfi liquid cooled engine lasts 3000+ hours. Very reliable mower

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is the Scag dealer also a Gravely dealer? If not there is an 80% or higher chance that they will just turn you down. Gravely's are decent mowers but they aren't a TT. Im sure they would make you put $1500 to $2000 on top of you mower to make the trade. Also the TT is one of the heaviest mowers out there and with all of this rain we've had (at least in the mid-atlantic) that TT would just rut the crap out of any and every lawn it was put on.

It was a good thought, but also being a student I can tell you that it's probably not worth it. Your not going to decrease your time on the job by much at all. If you are working a 12-14 hour day your might save 30-45mins and get in one extra lawn.

Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 08-18-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio Lawn Care View Post
Turf tiger is a great mower. The 29hp kaw dfi liquid cooled engine lasts 3000+ hours. Very reliable mower
I'm pretty sure that's what it has. Man it's tempting!
Old 08-18-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
Is the Scag dealer also a Gravely dealer? If not there is an 80% or higher chance that they will just turn you down. Gravely's are decent mowers but they aren't a TT. Im sure they would make you put $1500 to $2000 on top of you mower to make the trade. Also the TT is one of the heaviest mowers out there and with all of this rain we've had (at least in the mid-atlantic) that TT would just rut the crap out of any and every lawn it was put on.

It was a good thought, but also being a student I can tell you that it's probably not worth it. Your not going to decrease your time on the job by much at all. If you are working a 12-14 hour day your might save 30-45mins and get in one extra lawn.

Michael
No, it's not the same dealer, I was just up there picking something else up. And I would sell mine separately, not trade. It's kind of funny, we haven't hardly had any rain here in the last couple months, why don't you send a little bit our way! But thanks for your advice.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wasn't sure what Oklahoma had gotten so far this year.

I went with my Hustler X-one over the Hustler Tiger Cat for two reasons:
-the Hustler is easier to maintain
-the parts will be apprx. 10-20% cheaper than Scag parts.

I don't know what you paid or what you plan to get for your Gravely but if you think you can sell for the same price as what the TT asking price is then go for it.

Michael

make sure the TT is still for sale before you fully go through with selling yours if you do

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN