Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Front mount Woods/Grasshopper questions

Hey guys, I bought a used 2003 Woods 6210 Front mount mower with a 52" deck and the PowerVac system with 16 cubic foot hopper off of craigslist for $1000. The mower only has 1014 hours on it, and has a Kawasaki FD620D liquid cooled 20 hp motor.

The gearbox on the deck had the mounting points broken off and the previous owner had tried to just use a metal strap to bolt the gearbox back on the deck. The internals of the gearbox were just fine, so I took it to a weldor and had him tig the mounting back but much beefier. (A welder is a machine; a weldor is a person who can weld.)

I changed the oil and coolant in the kawasaki, but to be honest the oil and coolant looked to be in great condition. The hydros pull strong and I changed out the hydro fluid with John Deere Hygard.

While it would be nice to have a deeper deck, the 4.5" deck does pretty dang well and leaves a nice stripe. Not much build up under the deck since I picked up a few sets of G6 gators.

My only issue is that the levers that allow the hydrostats to freewheel are stuck. I sprayed them with pb blaster and plan on spraying them everyday and working them with a wrench until they loosen. Any suggestions or experience with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sorry I can't help you with your problem, but I sure am envious of your find. I am looking for just such a used mower on the cheap. I hope I can get as lucky as you. Maybe you should go buy a lottery ticket.

Can you get those levers and joints apart so that you can scrape or sand the crud out of them?

Good luck with it and keep us posted.