Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 AM
ron mexico75's Avatar
ron mexico75 ron mexico75 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,358
What are you guys using?

When you aerate and overseed are you using starter fertilizer or something else? I have always used starter regardless if its an established lawn or a renovation and had good results.

I was just doing some reading online and came across a recommendation that if it's already an established lawn to just use a 16-4-8 or 12-4-8 fertilizer when overseeding. I have not heard of that and was wondering if any of you do that or have heard of that.

I always thought that anytime you put seed down rather it be a new lawn or just overseeding that you would want it high in phosphorus hence a "starter."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-19-2013, 12:32 PM
ron mexico75's Avatar
ron mexico75 ron mexico75 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,358
come on anybody?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2013, 12:41 PM
heritage's Avatar
heritage heritage is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
When you aerate and overseed are you using starter fertilizer or something else? I have always used starter regardless if its an established lawn or a renovation and had good results.

I was just doing some reading online and came across a recommendation that if it's already an established lawn to just use a 16-4-8 or 12-4-8 fertilizer when overseeding. I have not heard of that and was wondering if any of you do that or have heard of that.

I always thought that anytime you put seed down rather it be a new lawn or just overseeding that you would want it high in phosphorus hence a "starter."
Hi Ron,

If soil pH is below 6, I would use DAP (18-46-0). If pH above 7 use MAP (11-52-0). New seedlings needs available P. You can get this from a farm supply.

A pound of Actual P per 1000 is enough, so either bag will go a long way and spread with ease.

P is most available in mineral soils of pH 6-7.

Here (new jersey) P is regulated and the soil test must show low available P before it can be applied at time of seeding.

Barry Draycott may chime in with some comments with a spreadable and more organic option too.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 PM
ron mexico75's Avatar
ron mexico75 ron mexico75 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage View Post
Hi Ron,

If soil pH is below 6, I would use DAP (18-46-0). If pH above 7 use MAP (11-52-0). New seedlings needs available P. You can get this from a farm supply.

A pound of Actual P per 1000 is enough, so either bag will go a long way and spread with ease.

P is most available in mineral soils of pH 6-7.

Here (new jersey) P is regulated and the soil test must show low available P before it can be applied at time of seeding.

Barry Draycott may chime in with some comments with a spreadable and more organic option too.
Wow those are some high P numbers.

I am using an 18-24-12 while overseeding but was just wondering.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-19-2013, 05:37 PM
foreplease's Avatar
foreplease foreplease is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Joseph, MI
Posts: 1,150
I've had good results with the 18-24-12 a couple days before seeding too. To be honest, I've found that water and even the smallest amount of organic matter gets the seed up well. Then it can be pushed hard with fertilizer When it is a new bare soil seeding I like to use potassium nitrate at 1#K/M as soon as it has been mowed once. One week later I use urea at 0.7# N/M, making the total 1# each of N and K. Then sharpen your blades, you're going to be mowing a lot . I have never seen anything fill in so fast as this combination.
__________________
Michigan PABL
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-19-2013, 08:37 PM
ron mexico75's Avatar
ron mexico75 ron mexico75 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
I've had good results with the 18-24-12 a couple days before seeding too. To be honest, I've found that water and even the smallest amount of organic matter gets the seed up well. Then it can be pushed hard with fertilizer When it is a new bare soil seeding I like to use potassium nitrate at 1#K/M as soon as it has been mowed once. One week later I use urea at 0.7# N/M, making the total 1# each of N and K. Then sharpen your blades, you're going to be mowing a lot . I have never seen anything fill in so fast as this combination.
No kidding? Never heard of doing that but sounds pretty neat.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 PM
ron mexico75's Avatar
ron mexico75 ron mexico75 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,358
Anyone else just us starter regardless if its already an established lawn?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 PM
foreplease's Avatar
foreplease foreplease is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Joseph, MI
Posts: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
No kidding? Never heard of doing that but sounds pretty neat.
I tell people it's like Viagra for grass (but rarely tell anyone how I did it). Potassium nitrate is often very hard to find - lots of Homeland Security shipping restrictions on it. An old timer told me to try this combination this several years ago. Giddyup!
__________________
Michigan PABL
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-19-2013, 09:28 PM
grassmasterswilson grassmasterswilson is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: nc
Posts: 3,176
I use 18-24-12 as the starter on all my lawns at reseeding.
__________________
GrassMasters, LLC
Wilson, NC
www.grassmasterswilson.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-20-2013, 11:18 AM
ron mexico75's Avatar
ron mexico75 ron mexico75 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I use 18-24-12 as the starter on all my lawns at reseeding.
thanks for posting, yeah I still plan on using it as well. Just wondering if anyone else subscribed to the using of something else if it was already an established lawn. I guess due to the lack of responses most everyone is using starter.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.08429 seconds with 7 queries