Register free!

Old 08-19-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Seed Quality from Tractor Supply...

Has anyone tried seed from Tractor Supply? I know a lot of times you get what you pay for. It seems Tractor Supply has the best price on 50 lb bags that I could find. Take for example, their KY 31 list for $57.00 for a 50 lb. bag. Is this abnormally cheap? Should you expect less of the seed quality? My concern is with the seed being some knock off brand that underperforms and germinates. Anyone had any luck with Tractor Supply Seed?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

KY 31 is pasture grass
Old 08-19-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh boy do not seed k31, see what else they have
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 08-19-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I wasn't particularly going to use KY 31. I was just wondering if such brands were a knock off of the "quality KY31" or other grass seed or are their prices this cheap because their getting bulk or more than the Big Box Stores?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your going to seed with fescue check with a local nursery that sells a lot of seed.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you're seeding residential lawns, never buy cheap seed. The best cultivars will provide better results and you will save money by not having to correct many problems.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think your going to be disappointed in Tractor Supply seed quality. They make their money by getting cheap stock and selling that stuff in bulk, think Wal-Mart. Seed is something that you will get what you pay for, it's alway's better to pay a little more for higher quality seed, alway's.

Austin TX. is really pushing it as far as growing cool season grass (fescue, rye) go's, if you don't have perfect condition's year round even the best seed is probably going to fail. Consider a warm season grass (bermuda, zoysia).

Quality seed has a blue tag on the bag, look for that. Don't be afraid to pay a few cent's more per pound for good seed, it will pay off for you in the long run. Use your local extension office and state university for recommendation's for your area. Here are some link's for you. Good luck.

Grass seed quality - http://www.ntep.org/

USDA growing zone's - http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Default.aspx

Austin extension service - http://www.co.travis.tx.us/health_hu...ricultural.asp

Texas A&M agriculture - http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/
Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersandWildcats2009 View Post
Has anyone tried seed from Tractor Supply? I know a lot of times you get what you pay for. It seems Tractor Supply has the best price on 50 lb bags that I could find. Take for example, their KY 31 list for $57.00 for a 50 lb. bag. Is this abnormally cheap? Should you expect less of the seed quality? My concern is with the seed being some knock off brand that underperforms and germinates. Anyone had any luck with Tractor Supply Seed?
You always get what you pay for and never get what you don't pay for. I would expect you'd be getting calls to improve or repair places that Put in KY 31, not using it.

I think all of us would do well not to buy things that are not commodities from the same places homeowners are getting it no matter how good the price seems. We have to differentiate ourselves. It is also advantageous to have a knowledgeable sales rep to bounce ideas off and go to when things do not work out Everyone I deal with assumes I can get materials that are unavailable to them. I never correct them - or offer too many of them any contact info for suppliers.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
You always get what you pay for and never get what you don't pay for. I would expect you'd be getting calls to improve or repair places that Put in KY 31, not using it.

I think all of us would do well not to buy things that are not commodities from the same places homeowners are getting it no matter how good the price seems. We have to differentiate ourselves. It is also advantageous to have a knowledgeable sales rep to bounce ideas off and go to when things do not work out Everyone I deal with assumes I can get materials that are unavailable to them. I never correct them - or offer too many of them any contact info for suppliers.

That was probably more so my fault for not explaining further in detail. I'm a home owner and far from a professional landscaper or lawn expert, that's why I left it to you guys to fill in my answers. I appreciate all the advice and helping clear up that information! I sit down and thought about it, and thought well these guys are right. I'm going to go ahead and man up and go with the high end seeds. I know good seeds don't guarantee or promise anything, but I will feel much more confident in all the work I put in if I go ahead and spend the extra money.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was at our local Tractor Supply last Saturday. They had grass seed for sale in open bins where you could scoop out as much as you wanted. (6 or 7 grass types - including K31).

The K31 was written in fine print while the large label said "drought tolerant turfgrass".

They also had 3 or 4 birds (probably sparrows) flying around. I'm sure they got in because the outdoor display door was open.