Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Trac Vac

Ok so with fall aproching slowly I am thinking about getting ready for fall clean ups mainly leaf removal. Last year was nothing had 2 jobs just bagged and throw on the trailer. I want to be able to handle some this year but right now I dont have 3k to shell out on a billy goat. My question is I found this trac vac on craigslist would it even be worth it to mount it to the side of my trailer to shoot in. Would 10hp give me more problems than speed? Has anyone used one of these?. Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just convert your mower to mulchin and save themoney.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I do mulch but most of the yard are 1/4 acre and don't have enough room to just mulch. Here is the unit I am looking at. http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/4000459915.html
Old 08-19-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

for $500 id snag it up and try it out, if you dont like it just turn around and sell it for $850 when the leaves are on the ground

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

See that is what I was thinking I'm going to go look at it to see if it even runs
Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

those walk behind yard vacs dont have any volume capacity. I bought a used one last year and sold it within 2 weeks. it would literally be full in 10-15 feet. I ended up using an old crapsman with a hard bin bagger with a 20" tarp tied in to a bag rather than use those tiny hard bins. it worked but was sloooooow. This year I have a little wonder walk behind, a BR600 and just ordered a collector for my Scag. My cleanups range in size from 1/4 acre to 3 acres. Im lucky because I can dump on the properties or haul to the curb for township pickups. I hope my new set up works.

I'd think a Trac Vac might be a good idea if you can haul it easily. I thought about getting one too to run with my little crapsman but that thing rides so slow to begin with and I could haul it with my two other mowers on my old trailer. One advantage to those thing would be the large capacity they seem to hold. I never used one but I'm sure it holds more than any bagger you could buy. If you already have a little lawn tractor, I'd say do it for 500 bucks. like the other guy said you can always sell at a profit if you hate it. That's what I did with my billygoat and I ended up making 200 bucks.