Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-06-2015, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Member

new mower has Kawasaki fs600 engine...good engine?

I'm about to replace my 10 year old 34" silvereagle with a new Gravely 36" pro stance that has a Kawasaki fs600 engine, 18.5hp. This will be my first Kawasaki engine and just wanted to get general opinion on this particular one.

Does it hold up to commercial use? Granted this machine will only get a max of 100 hours a year (it goes where ever my 60" X-series won't fit, mostly gated back yards)

It has the stock air filter, no canister, which was a bit of a let down but the stock filter looks ok, just small for commercial use.

Just looking for opinions on the engine...

Opinions on the mower are welcome too though
Old 07-06-2015, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

The only good kawi mower engine is the FX series,and that's mainly because of the air filtration system. The kawi FS has a below average air filtration system....in my opinion. Excellent air filtration is KEY in lawn mower engines,esp. if your using it for commercial use. That's my opinion.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrdoctor View Post
The only good kawi mower engine is the FX series,and that's mainly because of the air filtration system. The kawi FS has a below average air filtration system....in my opinion. Excellent air filtration is KEY in lawn mower engines,esp. if your using it for commercial use. That's my opinion.

Below average meaning it lets more trash get in the carb or that it has less surface area?

From what I could tell looking at it I don't think it will let any more dust or anything get in the carb than the Donaldson canister filters do (aside from the microscopic stuff the secondary inner fuzzy filter catches maybe) but it does have much less surface area so I know it will have to be serviced more frequently so air flow isn't reduced which was my main concern about the stock filtration.

Do any of the 36 inch standers on the market have a Donaldson (or equivalent) aftermarket filter in them from the factory? I wonder if one can be added to the fs600 engine? The carb intake is just a round pipe so it wouldn't require any special hardware to connect to the engine in any case, just a round rubber tube of the right diameter.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

If it were me I would look into a wright stander. Check and see what all engine options are avaiable in a 36 stander.
In regards to standers , Wright standers dominate here in florida!
Old 07-06-2015, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only difference between the FS and the FX that I know of is the air filtration systems. You can upgrade and FS is you have the room to do it.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrdoctor View Post
If it were me I would look into a wright stander. Check and see what all engine options are avaiable in a 36 stander.
In regards to standers , Wright standers dominate here in florida!
Definitely considered a wright but the price difference between it and what I am getting was just too much and the new Gravely 36 looks like a well thought out machine.
As far as I can tell Wrights have the same engine options as everyone else in the 36 inch size...all FS 18.5 or 19 hp Kawasaki's.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The only difference between the FS and the FX that I know of is the air filtration systems. You can upgrade and FS is you have the room to do it.
So you're saying the FS and FX kawasaki's are the same block and carb? just different shrouds and air filter setup?
Old 07-06-2015, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawson View Post
So you're saying the FS and FX kawasaki's are the same block and carb? just different shrouds and air filter setup?
Yep. That's what I've always been told by the guys who work on them.

Also, take a look at the specs from Kawi. Other than the air filters (which are dual element on the FS, but not the canister type), and the starter and engine shroud material, they are identical. There may be a tiny difference in the jets in the carbs, or it may be a difference in the mufflers used to cause the 1/2 HP difference in power rating IDK-

http://www.kawasakienginesusa.com/engines/fs/fs600v

http://www.kawasakienginesusa.com/engines/fx/fx600v
Old 07-06-2015, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Interesting. Wonder what kind of money I'd be looking at to upgrade my FS to FX...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2015, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a thread from LS last year-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=431498