Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-29-2015, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Ariens walk behind?

Hey guys just wanted to interduce my self.ive been lurking your fourm for a year are so and I have a question. I've been in the lawn Business for 30 years and I have always used snapper walk behind mowers for the small stuff and I always git the best one they sell.and in less then one season it's literally falling apart.even trying to be easy with it doesn't help thayjust making them cheaper now.and I start very early and a side discharge is a must for wet grass.So I wanted to ask y'alls thoughts on the ariens razer.will it help up for a year are two? Thanks
Old 10-29-2015, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

In a word, "No." Light duty, flimsy, cheap engine.
go with the Classic model. Those Classic machines are great. A classic could last you for many years if you take care of it. They have a beautiful cut, mulch well, and bag well.
FYI: I am a retired Ariens dealer. I bought one of the Classic models when I sold the store 8 years ago, and it still runs and mows like new.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok thank you very much sir.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Mowingman,

I've heard/read a number of reviews that complained that the speed selection on the Ariens Classic LM was, well, unreliable.

Here are two representative quotes from Home Depot's review section, grammatical errors and all:

"The speed control mech. Gets loose with time and I added a jamb nut to minimize this issue. It will vibrate into the highest speed if nut is not tightend. It is a nuisance that should not happen in this price range."

"As many other owners have claimed, the speed control broke 5-minutes after the first tryout. The speed mechanism itself is quality made, however, the locking system is very poorly designed for such a high-end machine."

There were a number of other reviewers who experienced the same problem. So, this is my concern: has Ariens addressed that issue? Was it an issue while you were a dealer? That is really the only thing that gives me pause.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by farff; 11-02-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, I have never heard of such a thing, over the almost 20 years I have been working with Gravely/Ariens walkbehind 21" mowers. I have no idea of what they are talking about. It may be, that the idiots at the big box stores who assembled the mowers in question, did not do it properly.
There is some assembly required when you take one of these out of the box. Also, now and then a little adjustment here and there might be required. This is why you buy this mower, or any mower, from an authorized dealer who knows what the heck they are doing.
The speed control is a rubber covered disc that runs against a steel disc. The speed is controlled by moving a slide lever on the handle. This pulls on a steel rod that moves the rubber disc to different positions on the steel disc thus changing the speed. Very simple and foolproof system, is assembled properly.
There is a pivot point at the lower end of the rod that may require an initial adjustment so the speed holds steady. I bet this is what they are talking about. Minor adjustment that takes all of 15 seconds, or less.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

No doubt re: buying from an authorized dealer. And, searching for reviews online, one must take what they find with a grain of salt. However, this was a frequent enough cited issue, I thought it was worth raising. Thanks for your input!
Old 11-09-2015, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I wound up go with another snapper 21 because we don't have an ariens dealer here.if I didn't need a side discharge I'd have plenty of better options but I guess these work fine there's just to many moving parts on a snapper but I'll have to say the Honda motor is powerful.