Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Weedeat, weedwhack, and String Trimming

This is posted in Business Management because it is an advertising question. What terminology do you use in your ADVERTISEMENTS? I grew up in NY and everyone said weedwhacker. I moved to SC and it was weedeater there. Now I am in the Mid Atlantic and it is mixed because it is a mix of Northerners and Southerners. So you hear both where I am. The only people who say string trimmers seems to be people working in the industry. I know most probably use "trim with a string trimmer" in there ads or when talking to a customer. I use it too. But, it really does open a door for confusion. I am thinking of changing it but the problem I have is weedeater and weedwhacker are both used where I live. I think there are also some on here who call it a whip. Thats great.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Southern here. Neighbors and Parents call it a weedeater, I call it a trimmer and use trimming in my advertising. Trimming seems to fit the bill the best in my advertisements. Ex. "All hard surfaces are trimmed and edged."

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I say it's trimming with a string trimmer. It really pains me when someone uses the terms weedwacker or weedeater or weed whip. They all just sound goofy. I normally don't have a problem with clients and using the word trimming. They know what I'm saying.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ihave had more than a few say "Well does it include weedwhacking (eating)?" after I said it includes strong trimming. Another thing is using "obstacles". I use string trimming around obstacles. Most people just want to know if it "includes weedwhacking(eating) around the house"...

A agree they sound funny but weedwhacker didnt sound funny until I worked in the industry. Then when I moved south weedeater sounded funny but i adapted and use that term when talking to someone not in the industry. As far as weedwhip, thats just hilarious.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I grew up with weed whacker, but I see most people in landscaping call it string trimmer, so I started using that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2014, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just call it "whipping" short and sweet and everyone should know what that means. I hate the word "whacking" for some reason and refuse to say it without giggling so I keep it out of business conversation.

Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 09-08-2014, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locqus View Post
I just call it "whipping" short and sweet and everyone should know what that means. I hate the word "whacking" for some reason and refuse to say it without giggling so I keep it out of business conversation.
I refuse to call it whipping!! Too funny. Gotta love cultural differences.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-08-2014, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think its all the same.

I week eat when Im hungry.
I weed wack when Im angry.
I string trim when music is in my head.

And any time I doing any of that stuff, my buttox is getting whipped!