Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
.......... why???
SOLO operation have there plus and minuses as well as having helpers and running crews.

Im 48 and also have other interests and choose the keep my lawn business a simple one man operation.

Im also under the opinion that good equiptment is more valueable than a 10$ per hour employee.

Obiviuousley being solo has a limit to what one can make, and it sounds like the OP has reached that limit, which is REAL GOOD
Old 08-20-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I need better clients if I'm gonna make that limit. 40 bucks for a 50 min lawn can't compare to 4 $25 lawns in that same 50 min
Old 08-20-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, there is nothing wrong with solo, both have pros and cons. I would suggest pre screening people on the phone, looking at there property on google maps, and telling them you aren't taking on new customers at the moment. We have said that our schedule is full for the season, we aren't taking on new properties at the moment, just what ever sounds good at the moment.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

start a second brand. current brand for the good stuff, new brand for the crappy mow and go stuff. there's hardly a corporation out there that does not compete with itself. fisher / western for example. I prefer fisher. they also do blizzard I think.

I worked in a factory making glue. expensive stuff in a small bottle. also made a competetors glue. cheap stuff in a big bottle
same exact stuff out of the same vat
Old 08-20-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

some customers are just bad for business tho. over water half the week then no water the rest. makes extra work then lowers your quality for the rest of your customers
Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
If your getting too much work raise prices.

or do the smart thing and hire someone so you can make more money and have a more reliable service (break downs n such give you more manpower to get over)
I have raised my prices. I quote what I want to be paid - not what I think they may be willing to pay. In the last week I gained two that are ridiculous prices for such small lawns and did not get two others due to a high quote.
(Although one of them liked me on a personal level to the point where she said she has many other plans and would love to have me back over to discuss)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOATMAN GEORGE View Post
If it is work you do not want

Step 1- Overbid it to where your profit margin is so high you now would love to visit the site & perform a service.

Step 2- If they ask why your price so high tell them because you are not in business to match prices but in business to provide best service and if you are going to pick your lawn/landscape company on price alone maybe we are not the right company for you.
If it's a job I don't want, money isn't going to make it more palatable.

The second part is good stuff though. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Id quit advertising, then tell any calls you will drive by and call them back if you can fit it into your schedule.

I think Ive turned down more work this year than work I actually has my first year.
I ran a CL ad early spring for about a week. That's it.

They are either finding me online, by Googling, or via Angie's List. (Super service award winner)

Same here on the turn-downs. It feels good not to need to take what you can get.

Quote:
if so much work is. comming his way he should hire someone
Quote:
Perhaps, but some of want to stay SOLO
Quote:
.......... why???
The only farts allowed in my truck are MINE... ALL mine.

I toy with the idea of hiring, but I won't do it under the table, and I don't know that I want the headaches and red tape of having an actual employee.
And I don't know that I could deal with any of the boolshit that comes with young guys these days. I doubt I could find anyone who would work to my standards.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
SOLO operation have there plus and minuses as well as having helpers and running crews.

Im 48 and also have other interests and choose the keep my lawn business a simple one man operation.

Im also under the opinion that good equiptment is more valueable than a 10$ per hour employee.

Obiviuousley being solo has a limit to what one can make, and it sounds like the OP has reached that limit, which is REAL GOOD
I'm just a few years younger than you and for that reason I am working "smarter", not harder for my money. This is my 4th season by the way and my first is just a "technicality" since I spent most of it working as a subcontractor for some real estate "flippers" doing all sorts of work besides lawn care.

If I really wanted, I could probably hammer down and crank out a few more each day, but two things stop me - (a) I have standards and will not compromise on the quality of the work I do and (b) I just don't flippin' WANT to. Screw it. I'm not in a race with anyone and so long as I'm making enough money, I'm not going to run myself ragged just to make a few more dollars.

Quote:
I need better clients if I'm gonna make that limit. 40 bucks for a 50 min lawn can't compare to 4 $25 lawns in that same 50 min
I hear that. I'm finding I can make more by working a bunch of postage stamp properties in the city vs the jobs in the suburbs. And you don't even have to settle for $25 for them. In the right area, people pay well for those tiny lawns and you can get a bunch of them done EASILY and quickly.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OakNut Im with ya all the way
Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I toy with the idea of hiring, but I won't do it under the table, and I don't know that I want the headaches and red tape of having an actual employee.
And I don't know that I could deal with any of the boolshit that comes with young guys these days. I doubt I could find anyone who would work to my standards.
noone here will argue that finding a good employee is hard to do. but if you do not want the paperwork hire through a temp service. their employee, they do the paperwork and pay the taxes.

or 1099 him and let him do his own paperwork, then write off his wages (this the proper way, contractor vs employee can be a lil weird)
Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
noone here will argue that finding a good employee is hard to do. but if you do not want the paperwork hire through a temp service. their employee, they do the paperwork and pay the taxes.

or 1099 him and let him do his own paperwork, then write off his wages (this the proper way, contractor vs employee can be a lil weird)
Ya but what about the farts?