Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Ran into some similar ones this year. Can't tell you how frustrating this was. Three customers called from one brand new neighborhood. The smart builders decided to put these white picket fences along rows of tree's in each lawn. I can't get my mower through the picket fence to the back yard, and I can't get it between the beds and the fence in the front yard. Had to turn down three because of the same reason. Sucks.
Have them pay you to install gates. I do it all the time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
It seems nobody fully understands what I'm trying to get across here.

This really has nothing to do with me. It just makes me wonder because all I ever hear on this forum are condescending comments towards anyone who would even dream of using a 21" mower - period.

I mean, if you really have that mindset, and you only mow where you can utilize a zero turn mower, how many calls are you turning down every day just based on incompatibility of the equipment vs the lawn? It has to be maddening.
People turn down 21" mows because you can not be efficient euough to make decent money. 21" takes longer. People don't want to pay higher rates for more time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2014, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
Have them pay you to install gates. I do it all the time
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think it's possible in this situation. Strict community, every single lawn has the white picket fence/gate and a baramuda lawn. Might should check, but something tells me changing gates wouldn't be an option in this community.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
People turn down 21" mows because you can not be efficient euough to make decent money. 21" takes longer. People don't want to pay higher rates for more time
Posted via Mobile Device
I understand that even though it's not always true. There are city jobs that pay pretty well and can not be cut with anything BUT a 21" mower - if there weren't, the big outfits in town wouldn't send out several trucks with push mowers in the beds. There's money there - believe me.

Maybe this area just has a higher concentration of "small" lawns than other areas. Add to that the fact that 99.9% of lawns here have SOME sort of slopes/hills and it's not easy to find a lawn that supports larger equipment in some sections of town.

I dunno, but it makes me nuts turning them down because I'm trying to only take stuff I can use my 36" mower on, so I can't imagine what it's like to only offer "ZTR service" and turn away 95% of the calls.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If those are the majority of calls you're getting, I'm sure you're not the only one turning those jobs down...but if nobody wants them, it sounds like you could charge a premium for the extra hassle to make them worthwhile.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2014, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I understand that even though it's not always true. There are city jobs that pay pretty well and can not be cut with anything BUT a 21" mower - if there weren't, the big outfits in town wouldn't send out several trucks with push mowers in the beds. There's money there - believe me.

Maybe this area just has a higher concentration of "small" lawns than other areas. Add to that the fact that 99.9% of lawns here have SOME sort of slopes/hills and it's not easy to find a lawn that supports larger equipment in some sections of town.

I dunno, but it makes me nuts turning them down because I'm trying to only take stuff I can use my 36" mower on, so I can't imagine what it's like to only offer "ZTR service" and turn away 95% of the calls.
I have one that is a 21" job. but its a small lawn. in fact i put in seeding and fertilizing for free

what it comes down to is time. if you are in an area where all the laws are small, itl take less time, and you make more money. but if your lawns are bigger, then ur not going to make money spending an hour on a 25 dollar lawn. unless they are willing to pay more than 25, to pay for that hour long lawn.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I have one that is a 21" job. but its a small lawn. in fact i put in seeding and fertilizing for free

what it comes down to is time. if you are in an area where all the laws are small, itl take less time, and you make more money. but if your lawns are bigger, then ur not going to make money spending an hour on a 25 dollar lawn. unless they are willing to pay more than 25, to pay for that hour long lawn.

Yes, but that still has nothing to do with the thread topic.

LawnSite Senior Member

I just politely decline. I thank them for their call but let them know that I won't be able to service their property, it's my policy that I only use my equipment. I didn't spend $8,000 on a ZTR so I could use some home owners 21in push mower on a half acre lot.
Posted via Mobile Device
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

I completely understand what you mean. 3 years ago I owned a company that ran ZTRs. Customers were decently happy, but lawns were still only OK because if condiditions weren't perfect, employee would tear up lawns.

On to this year, I sold that company that same year, and last year restarted because I missed it so much. However this time, I don't want employees and I won't use a ZTR. I am fully booked since people found out I only use a small 48" Walk behind now. I charge more, my profits are higher, and I have less headaches. Heck, I only cut 3 days a week now and take 3 to 4 off! But I am running into the same problem as you. I don't necessarily want to keep over pricing work as a way of turning it down as in the future that could lead to me not wanting to expand, if I ever plan on it because customers won't call because I am "too expensive".

What has been working for me is, I almost never answer my phone. If a customer is serious they will leave a voicemail. My voicemail prompts you to leave your address name and phone number. I take my wifes car by the house before I even call them back. If it is a lawn I would want to add, I call them back and tell them it will be xx.xx per month. If not I politely call them back and inform them I am not taking new customers, and tell them I appreciate the call.

I haven't had an issue yet. I believe my lawns here are slightly larger then yours, hence me using the 48" Walkbehind, where most use a 52 or 61 ztr.

I still have a few lawns that pay good that are over an acre that I have a 61 WB for.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Sponsor

Usually just politely decline and tell them we are swamped for work if it comes up. When it comes to trimming a route, I usually call or send a letter than the pricing/every other week model for the house is not working for us. I try to recommend them to a smaller company who is in the area that can handle their lawn, or I offer them what the new structure has to be to keep them on our route.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC