Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-25-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
My Lazer Zs will not hold this hill at a angle, just straight up or down. No problem with the Pioneer.
Looks amazing! Very impressive hillside stability.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Exmark's clumping is a very common problem here. And yes I have owned them. We experience very wet conditions every morning. The dew is very thick because of cold nights and hot days. Doesnt dry off until around 11am. Grass grows 3-4" per week. But I will say this, in dry conditions taking a 1/3 off Exmark has arguably the best cut in the business. We just dont have those conditions here very often.
Was I talking to you? I just said that I don't have those problems and remember seeing quit a few here that don't either... Those talking saying just very little moister & they cut like crap, is just not true... I mow here when it's wet out also & early in the morning & if the conditions where as bad like some say I would'nt own one... If it's crazy wet in the spring I might have to double cut some clumps or use the blower to break the clippings up but show me a mower in the spring time that people don't have to either.. The conditions are just not as bad as some on here say.. What year of Ex did you own and what deck was under it?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Was I talking to you? I just said that I don't have those problems and remember seeing quit a few here that don't either... Those talking saying just very little moister & they cut like crap, is just not true... I mow here when it's wet out also & early in the morning & if the conditions where as bad like some say I would'nt own one... If it's crazy wet in the spring I might have to double cut some clumps or use the blower to break the clippings up but show me a mower in the spring time that people don't have to either.. The conditions are just not as bad as some on here say.. What year of Ex did you own and what deck was under it?
OK- the std Pro deck 7 Iron. The MOD like I have will clump a little if it is really wet, but the std deck works exceptionally well. I never once had my std Pro deck clump regardless of the conditions, even when I thought it would or should.

I cut right next to several Exmarks with UC 4 and 6 decks, and they will clump lots of times when it's wet, yet I am only on the other side of the property line and don't get any.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
OK- the std Pro deck 7 Iron. The MOD like I have will clump a little if it is really wet, but the std deck works exceptionally well. I never once had my std Pro deck clump regardless of the conditions, even when I thought it would or should.

I cut right next to several Exmarks with UC 4 and 6 decks, and they will clump lots of times when it's wet, yet I am only on the other side of the property line and don't get any.
All I was saying I don't think the conditions are as bad as some say... That's all... I'm sure there are better cutting mowers out there that work better in different parts of the country. But if everyone experienced those kind of cutting conditions that some say Exmark produces in wet/moisture I don't think they would sell that many.. Also you don't know when the last time those guys cleaned there decks or sharpened there blades either as far as mowing next door to some people.. That like when I pass by guys mowing with Scags and the lawns look terrible , I don't know how his mower is set up or how often they clean the underside or sharpen... Just saying...
Old 08-25-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I get paid to doublecut and figure each job that way. Ive owned or tried almost every brand and came to the conclusion that 1 pass is not good enough on 2 acres or less when it takes so little time to run wide open making a 2nd pass. Now on the large acreage over 3 acres I make 1 pass with either the Outlaw or the Exmark I keep setup for side discharging.

I also have my lawn route setup according to mowers I need for the day. I carry a Exmark with mulching kit and usually my Outlaw set up to side discharge. That combo works great at getting rid of the excess clippings.
I also mow in dripping wet grass every morning and it is a pain because I hate to see clippings laying on top of the lawn even if they are spread out it still annoys me.

By controling the amount of fertilizer on my lawns I make them green without having to bushwack them. Works for me and Exmark is really the mower of choice in my area.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 08-25-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I get paid to doublecut and figure each job that way. Ive owned or tried almost every brand and came to the conclusion that 1 pass is not good enough on 2 acres or less when it takes so little time to run wide open making a 2nd pass. Now on the large acreage over 3 acres I make 1 pass with either the Outlaw or the Exmark I keep setup for side discharging.

I also have my lawn route setup according to mowers I need for the day. I carry a Exmark with mulching kit and usually my Outlaw set up to side discharge. That combo works great at getting rid of the excess clippings.
I also mow in dripping wet grass every morning and it is a pain because I hate to see clippings laying on top of the lawn even if they are spread out it still annoys me.

By controling the amount of fertilizer on my lawns I make them green without having to bushwack them. Works for me and Exmark is really the mower of choice in my area.
You know you mowing that hillside at an angle like that is impressive... I don't think my 48" Advantage Series would do it like that either, but I do have narrower tires also on the rear where you have the wider..
Old 08-25-2013, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
All I was saying I don't think the conditions are as bad as some say... That's all... I'm sure there are better cutting mowers out there that work better in different parts of the country. But if everyone experienced those kind of cutting conditions that some say Exmark produces in wet/moisture I don't think they would sell that many.. Also you don't know when the last time those guys cleaned there decks or sharpened there blades either as far as mowing next door to some people.. That like when I pass by guys mowing with Scags and the lawns look terrible , I don't know how his mower is set up or how often they clean the underside or sharpen... Just saying...
Actually, I am very friendly with the one large crew. We stop and talk and check out each others stuff whenever we get a chance. They take very good care of all their equipment (which they have a LOT of), and believe me, they keep their blades sharp. They pretty much have to, to stay in business with as large an outfit and as many accounts as they have.

Don't misunderstand me, Exmarks cut extremely well, and leave a great cut behind, but even these guys get frustrated with them when it gets very wet out due to double cutting to leave a nice finish behind and keep their accounts happy. I have seen them cut in the morning dew with not too much difficulty as long as it wasn't real heavy dew they were cutting through. IMO, it isn't that they can't cut in the wet all by itself. It's that due to the tight baffling, they clog/load up quickly with packed clippings which interferes with airflow, causes them to clump, and the QOC drops off sharply until they get scraped out.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Actually, I am very friendly with the one large crew. We stop and talk and check out each others stuff whenever we get a chance. They take very good care of all their equipment (which they have a LOT of), and believe me, they keep their blades sharp. They pretty much have to, to stay in business with as large an outfit and as many accounts as they have.

Don't misunderstand me, Exmarks cut extremely well, and leave a great cut behind, but even these guys get frustrated with them when it gets very wet out due to double cutting to leave a nice finish behind and keep their accounts happy. I have seen them cut in the morning dew with not too much difficulty as long as it wasn't real heavy dew they were cutting through. IMO, it isn't that they can't cut in the wet all by itself. It's that due to the tight baffling, they clog/load up quickly with packed clippings which interferes with airflow, causes them to clump, and the QOC drops off sharply until they get scraped out.
Ya, i could'nt be happier with mine.. It's just crazy how people experience or get get different results from the same machines.. I don't actually cut in the rain but i'm the guy that as soon as it's done i'm back mowing.. I run the notched air high lifts & extreme side discharge mulchers & no problems, but when I do get lazy and don't clean & sharpen as often as is hould then that's when the QOC really goes away... But I still have been looking at those new Jd B series just have not made it in to actually look one over yet...
Old 08-25-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ya, i could'nt be happier with mine.. It's just crazy how people experience or get get different results from the same machines.. I don't actually cut in the rain but i'm the guy that as soon as it's done i'm back mowing.. I run the notched air high lifts & extreme side discharge mulchers & no problems, but when I do get lazy and don't clean & sharpen as often as is hould then that's when the QOC really goes away... But I still have been looking at those new Jd B series just have not made it in to actually look one over yet...
They're actually a lot of machine for the money. If you do buy one, make sure to get the suspension seat insert kit installed. It is waaay worth it. I just installed on on my 950. I wish I had done it as soon as I bought it.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
They're actually a lot of machine for the money. If you do buy one, make sure to get the suspension seat insert kit installed. It is waaay worth it. I just installed on on my 950. I wish I had done it as soon as I bought it.
How high did it raise your seat with your weight still in it? 2inches?

My Exmark decks never need scraping as much as other mowers I've had. I may scrape them once per month or less.

They just don't spread the grass as far and because the clippings are smaller they ball up more in extreme conditions. But even using the John Deer I still had to double cut most of my lawns to hide the clippings. The Only use I would get out of the Gravely X factor deck would be to mow a few very large accts. My smaller accts cringe when clippings are blowing in the wind so its just not justifiable. Plus when you doublecut long clippings you are just wasting time blowing them back and forth harder to get rid of them.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong