Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-25-2013, 03:38 PM
MJB's Avatar
MJB MJB is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wa
Posts: 2,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
You know you mowing that hillside at an angle like that is impressive... I don't think my 48" Advantage Series would do it like that either, but I do have narrower tires also on the rear where you have the wider..
My 60" Lazer Z AS will not hold it either just turns downhill. Plus at the bottom is a retaining wall and lake.
__________________
MJB

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
How high did it raise your seat with your weight still in it? 2inches?

My Exmark decks never need scraping as much as other mowers I've had. I may scrape them once per month or less.

They just don't spread the grass as far and because the clippings are smaller they ball up more in extreme conditions. But even using the John Deer I still had to double cut most of my lawns to hide the clippings. The Only use I would get out of the Gravely X factor deck would be to mow a few very large accts. My smaller accts cringe when clippings are blowing in the wind so its just not justifiable. Plus when you doublecut long clippings you are just wasting time blowing them back and forth harder to get rid of them.
When did you use a Deere? I remember you posting to me last year that you would love to try one.

The insert kit raised the seat height about 2.5" overall, and when I am on it with the way I have it adjusted for ride comfort that suits me, it is about 2" higher than before. I got used to that very quickly. I like it better too. It allows me to see to the sides better when trimming around things (not that I couldn't see well before, it's just even better now). If I can get a set of the flex forks for mine, I will have a darn good ride.

My MOD deck chops the clippings up a lot more than the std deck.It is much more like a UC deck in that regard, and as a matter of fact, is probably a little more tightly baffled. The large discharge chute makes a huge difference in wet conditions over the UC though.

When I had the std deck on my 720, I double cut every now and then, but two passes always got rid of clippings easily. That deck works extremely well with G6's.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 08-25-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,427
I mow a hill that is every bit as steep as that one appears in your picture, but not quite as big. I have checked it with a magnetic angle gauge on top of the deck, and it is 18 degrees on average, depending on where I am on it. My 950 holds it great. I have yet to ever feel even slightly concerned. There is a chain ink fence at the bottom that rubs perpendicular to one side of the hill that cuts off any run out area, and makes turning at the bottom a PITA when it's really wet.

I really like the stable feel of this 950 on hill sides. I just wish it had the std Pro deck instead of the MOD.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-25-2013, 03:52 PM
MJB's Avatar
MJB MJB is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wa
Posts: 2,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
When did you use a Deere? I remember you posting to me last year that you would love to try one.

The insert kit raised the seat height about 2.5" overall, and when I am on it with the way I have it adjusted for ride comfort that suits me, it is about 2" higher than before. I got used to that very quickly. I like it better too. It allows me to see to the sides better when trimming around things (not that I couldn't see well before, it's just even better now). If I can get a set of the flex forks for mine, I will have a darn good ride.

My MOD deck chops the clippings up a lot more than the std deck.It is much more like a UC deck in that regard, and as a matter of fact, is probably a little more tightly baffled. The large discharge chute makes a huge difference in wet conditions over the UC though.

When I had the std deck on my 720, I double cut every now and then, but two passes always got rid of clippings easily. That deck works extremely well with G6's.
I demoed a 750 for a week with the MOD feature, loved the machine but did not like the windrow it left on 1 side, cut quality was awesome but side discharge was weak.

I've watch them very closely over the years but dealer support is weak here.
__________________
MJB

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I demoed a 750 for a week with the MOD feature, loved the machine but did not like the windrow it left on 1 side, cut quality was awesome but side discharge was weak.

I've watch them very closely over the years but dealer support is weak here.
You mean 950 I think. Never heard of a 750. You can do a couple quick mods to the MOD deck to make it cut like a true mulcher. I made new extended baffles for the underside in between the blades (I've posted several pics on here in the past, so it won't let me re-post them now). Between the new baffles and the OEM wavy mulcher blades, there's no windrow left like the stock set up. No blow out either, and it mulches clean in one pass when taking off up to 3.5". By removing the two adjustable baffles underneath at the rear, you can greatly improve discharge, but you are basically left with an OCDC type set up. This is how I run mine 90% of the time.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-25-2013, 04:10 PM
MJB's Avatar
MJB MJB is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wa
Posts: 2,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
You mean 950 I think. Never heard of a 750. You can do a couple quick mods to the MOD deck to make it cut like a true mulcher. I made new extended baffles for the underside in between the blades (I've posted several pics on here in the past, so it won't let me re-post them now). Between the new baffles and the OEM wavy mulcher blades, there's no windrow left like the stock set up. No blow out either, and it mulches clean in one pass when taking off up to 3.5". By removing the two adjustable baffles underneath at the rear, you can greatly improve discharge, but you are basically left with an OCDC type set up. This is how I run mine 90% of the time.
This was a few yrs ago when the 700 series were popular and the mod deck was maybe 2 yrs old. I'm sure it was the 750 or 757 series, the 900 series were not out yet or very unpopular don't remember.

I asked my dealer if they had any blade options I could try, they were no help and I had to make a quick decision so I went with my 2008 Exmark instead. Now JD won't even try to sell me if I ask because they don't understand the market. They expect me to buy and live with it. You should let JD know how you over come the windrow issue because that was my biggest beef, and the side discharge wouldn't blow hard enough to clean it up.
__________________
MJB

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,427
They know. They read this site, and a while back another poster said that he had heard from Deere that they were working on making some baffles like I came up with, which if they do, will cause me to take action against them.

They did have the 757. That was several years back now. I think 2007 was the last year for them. They are a whole different machine. If your demo machine was built prior to 2006, then it had the original 7 Iron deck which was in the 15, 5K BTS neighborhood. In 2006 they upped the BTS to 18K. The one I have now blows very hard as set up stock, but works better yet as I said, with those two baffles removed if you want to side discharge mainly.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-25-2013, 06:35 PM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Was I talking to you? I just said that I don't have those problems and remember seeing quit a few here that don't either... Those talking saying just very little moister & they cut like crap, is just not true... I mow here when it's wet out also & early in the morning & if the conditions where as bad like some say I would'nt own one... If it's crazy wet in the spring I might have to double cut some clumps or use the blower to break the clippings up but show me a mower in the spring time that people don't have to either.. The conditions are just not as bad as some on here say.. What year of Ex did you own and what deck was under it?
My intention wasnt to insult so I apologize. I try to be 100% honest when I state my opinion on any machine that I own, demo or operate. I bought a new Exmark Viking in 1999 with a Trivantage deck. In 2005 I had a Lazer Z loaner for 3 weeks while waiting for Kohler to replace an engine that swallowed the valves on a scag. And in 2012 I demoed a Lazer Z for a couple days. All were tightly baffled and had a great crisp cut with no straglers. The lift was amazing and the clippings were small. When the grass was wet they all puked clumps forcing me to double cut. I can make all decks clump but the velocity, 7 iron and x-factor decks can cut in the rain with minimal clumping and rarely have the need to double cut. New England is unique when it comes to cutting conditions. Honestly Exmark still dominates sales here but most double cut. One of the largest LCO's here is switching a fleet of 200-300 Exmarks to Deere.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM
weaver weaver is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
My intention wasnt to insult so I apologize. I try to be 100% honest when I state my opinion on any machine that I own, demo or operate. I bought a new Exmark Viking in 1999 with a Trivantage deck. In 2005 I had a Lazer Z loaner for 3 weeks while waiting for Kohler to replace an engine that swallowed the valves on a scag. And in 2012 I demoed a Lazer Z for a couple days. All were tightly baffled and had a great crisp cut with no straglers. The lift was amazing and the clippings were small. When the grass was wet they all puked clumps forcing me to double cut. I can make all decks clump but the velocity, 7 iron and x-factor decks can cut in the rain with minimal clumping and rarely have the need to double cut. New England is unique when it comes to cutting conditions. Honestly Exmark still dominates sales here but most double cut. One of the largest LCO's here is switching a fleet of 200-300 Exmarks to Deere.
No insult, no need to apologize...
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-04-2013, 01:17 AM
MJB's Avatar
MJB MJB is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wa
Posts: 2,868
I built a rubber flap striper to darken my stripes. See pics takes just a few minutes, I wish I had a heavier piece of flat metal but this works in a pinch.
I took off another inch so it sits an inch higher than in the picture.

Don't know what that is flying in front of the camera never noticed it when I took the pic.
Attached Images
           
__________________
MJB

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Page generated in 0.08563 seconds with 8 queries